Forums > Help! > need advice!poi too heavy!!any answers??

Login/Join to Participate

tricksenBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
quite new too poi,but find my chains,too heavy and cumbersome.i am only a little person,and the poi i use are homemade,chains attached to a metal tube with the kevlar wrapped around(hope this makes sense)Any advice on how too make them lighter?cheers

***********************************to find your mind you have to lose it first!!

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
hey tricken
i only started doing fire poi about a month ago, but i also found the chains real heavy (borrows a freinds self made set)so i just ended up having to buy a proper set with the wire chords. it meant scraping money together but its worth it because theyre well balanced and not to heavy and you get a much better momentum with them then with chains. hope this helps
lolli x x

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

tricksenBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
cheers for the advice lolli.

***********************************to find your mind you have to lose it first!!

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Take as much of the hardware out as possible. The tube that you wrap the kevlar around probably weighs a relatively good bit. Keep the design simple. I have heard great things about ball chain, and I have heard bad things about wire.

I personally went to a pet store and got some thin dog choke collars for my first set. They go all the way down to an ultra fine thickness that is about 3/16" (sorry, maybe 6-8mm) diameter. If they are worth a flip, they should have a warranty against breaking. You should be fine.

Try making pure flame heads using just your wick and a little bit of thin gauge wire.

Practice a lot with the heavy weights and move slowly. It will help you build up the correct muscles. I used to spin with single glowsticks, and when I would pick up my comet poi for a good hard spin, it would leave my arms feeling like jelly. I have photon poi that I use out at clubs now that are too light for most people to use, but I have gone from them straight to triple-headed fire poi on heavy gauge chain and spun my butt off for an hour with no ill effects. It's just building up the endurance. Eventually your arms won't get tired anymore, and your body itself will collapse from exhaustion long before you get sore.

Hope that helped.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Lighter poi is the realm of all the experienced poiers here (I'm a staffer predominantly).

One thing I would suggest thoug, is to practice lots with heavier and lighter and medium weight pois. They don't have to be fire ones...

Some people love heavy poi, some people don't. But all of us had to build up stamina and strength in a whole range of 'new' muscles.

I used to get exhausted after a few minutes playing with staff, and now i can easily go for hours at a time.

not to say lighter poi isn't a good idea, but a combination of stamina and different poi will give you the best of both worlds...

Play safe...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
My fire poi are a lot heavier than my practice poi, but to be honest, it makes some moves easier, because the momentum just keeps going.

it also does great things for my shoulders

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Here are a few tips my firey matey!

1. shortening your poi makes it easier (4 me at least) as it minimises centrifugal weight increases at the cost of performing with smaller circles of fire.
2. Short poi also allow for less space to worry about for complicated under-the-leg shenanigans
4. it is quite easy to insert list comedy *anywhere* (anywhere 'cept funerals! - and don't ask why!)
3. if weight is an issue, eat vegan! only kidding - if *poi* weight is an issue, then practice ya heavie firey poi with socks or big condoms over them during the day so that you build the strengf for em while not performing wif them! I was gunna make a big condom joke here but I'll leave it up to you...
5. if you play with different wighted poi, it opens up the avenue of twirling correspondingly different length poi! why? well have ya ever seen concentric circles in a butterfly? have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? and where does he get those wonderful toys?
6. there is no point 6! meeep!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Rozi has shot-putters shoulders!

The fact that they're home made may mean they're haevier. Try small cathedral wicks as they don't have a heavy metal core.

Or tie helium balloons to you poi, that'd make 'em lighter!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
All the better to carry the weight of the world with !!! Just call me Atlas.

They might be big & muscly, but they ain't green

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, I practice with lighter poi than I spin with.

It hurts less when you hit yourself
Less strain on shoulders and such (esp. when doing wraps)
It's actually harder, you've got less time to think.

And don't forget, the less weight you spend on metal chain and metal wick parts, the more weight you can put into kevlar!

Reason # 342 why I like my ball chain...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I swear by 1/8 inch cable. It is lighter than chain.
*decides to bystep cable vs. ballchain debate*

You can also try spinning more slowly. Many beginners spin way too fast at first, thinking that every move has to be at full speed.

Maximus

Paraffinmember
10 posts

Posted:
Personally I prefer very heavy poi to practice with...I actually used poi to tone my muscles for wrestling before I started getting into the dance scene with it, and I found that if you start with 5 pound weights on the end and go for about 20 minutes every day you'll be golden. I just started the fire poi and I have to keep on slowing them down because I'm used to hauling around 10lb ones for training. Other than that though, the heavy weights are phenominal. However, THEY HURT. YOu can break bones with them, so be careful, but its worth what it does to your physique.

burn burn burn burn burn burn burnburn burn

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
WTF?!?!?! ....10 lbs poi?!?!?! are friggin insane?!!! omfg! i dont even wanna imagine what a hard shin or shoulder shot would do!!...even worse a friggin nad shot!! omg....*runs away to padded room*

[ 17 May 2002, 04:53: Message edited by: XTREMRAVR ]

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
The best poi are the types that make your arms twich under the insane weight. Nothin like grunting when the poi reaches the bottem of it's arc.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
you guys ar nutz!! im scared of a wimpy beaming poi!! and you guys are swinging weights!!

WACKOS!!

j/k!! what ever floats your boat...err sinks it for this matter!! lol

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Hehe guess you should change your name then extreme shoulder and nad shots don't happen. It's when they tap your shin and don't have enough momentum to reach the top of the 15 foot high arc and come raining down on your head. I've had many a "The sky is falling" Sessions

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC