smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
the screws came loose on my fire staff, and the wick can now slide, but it cant come off, any sugestions on how to fix it, or should i just dump it and buy a new one, cause the last thing i want to do it be unsafe. any sugestions?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Fix it man!! I make my own fire sticks, so I know that it's possible.what is your staff made from? wood, aluminium...?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
its made from wood, the screw is loose though, wont screw back in, i tried that, and the mettal is kinda bent at the end so it cant come off. bit of a bugger hey

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
it will be a bit fiddly, but you can take out old screws and insert new ones into a new spot on the staff. I recommend unravelling the wick, use a drill to make a hole in the metal & wood, mark at the top of the staff the area where you drilled so you have some clue when wick is back on, rewrap the wick and by hand, not drill, find the holes and screw them in. It's impossible to do that effectively with a drill, as the wick just bunches up and becomes an awful mess. Besides, I've had one of my long staves for about 4 years now, I just replace the wicks when required. I'm reluctant to ever throw it away...that staff and I have a bond. Now arialtetsuo is going to fry me for having relationships with inanimate objects...dammit!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
thanks heaps flash fire, i realy didnt want to throw it out, but if its unsafe, i couldn't use it. i'll try, i'll c how i go.thanks again

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Alternatively, you could convert your wicks which sound like they are in good nick into Poi, and make yourself a whole new fire staff, make it out of Aluminium, and use self-tapping screws...I've had mine for about a year, and it's seen a lot of use (and abuse :) and my wicks arent even close to coming off...Good luck,[Josh]

ffirebellGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
I have a metal staff (Al?) At the moment I use hose clamps to keep my wick on.. a wee bit dangerous if I wack myself in the head but they stay on well, and I can tighten them when I want. I did use screws but the holes got damaged. I also use wire sometimes to hold stuff down. happy twirling!

Fairie's wear boots.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Wire is a good back up for in case screws come undone.My staves are wood with copper fitting over the ends and here is a trick we learned to keep wicks in place. First I agree with re-drilling and rescrewing. Fill the old hole with WHITE school glue....it hardens in heat.It will help to maintain the integrity of the staff. Too many holes weakend the strength of wood, and while wood glue is melty and flammable, the Elmers type white school glue is perfect for such things!Go over the ends and edges of the wick with the glue as well. It helps to keep the wicks snug in place, even when the holdings come undone. This allows us to get through a performance, even when something happens to the wick. I think that to throw something that you have become accustomed to so well is almost a crime. Getting used to the balance and flow of new toys can be so difficult (I just made new poi) and I so know the value of comfortable "old" things.Best of luck.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
flash fire: hahhahahahhahaha! an arieltetsuo reference. I love it! smileCheers to all who make their own equipment (and to those who want to try). I like to apply that philosophy to pretty much anything that needs fixing around the house (and, where appropriate, in the world at large.) You'll find it gets easier and easier over time once you get used to automatically thinking, "can I do anything about this myself?... then let's get into it!"Good burns to everyone.-Rick[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 27 January 2001).]

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
thanks heaps people for the info, with the advice given my twirlen staff back in action. happy twirling[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 29 January 2001).]

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
If screws are loose then dip them in nail varnish or glue and reincert them. we do that it works fine.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe: