Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I AM!

Ever since I started spinning fire I've been using these massive wicks...good and big and firey and fun, but I didn't realize how much better I am with lighter ones until I started making frequent use of the wicks I got from HOP for Christmas.

I'm now performing with fire 10x better than I ever have before, and my video is shite compared to things I'm doing now. Gaaah!

Not trying to make excuses for my video or anything...I never entered to win, but to share what I can do...it's just that now, I'm not even doing that.

This happen to anyone else?

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I have never been happy with a video.

Not once.

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Every video we turn out, within 2 weeks (sometimes the very next DAY) I consider my spinning improved to the point of making the video look bad compared to what I am capable of... It's why I kinda waited till last minute to get my entry in for CoL4! Little tweaks like your wicking size (allows for more finesse and new moves!), chain length (6 inches less and suddenly I'm a wrap master!), dance style, whatever, I completely understand what you're saying. Every time I nail a new trick I think to myself "I wish I'd done that in my last performance!"

I'm happy for ya though, and even though your new skills didn't make the video submission in time you still deserve mucho props for improvement and devloping your skills as a spinner! Hopefully everyone is kicking themselves a little bit just like we are right now

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Chameleonmember
6 posts

Posted:
im glad other people are going thro the same as me... i heard about the comp while i was on the cosmos jugglers circus course (BIG UP COSMOS!!!!). i learnt so much there about performance, presentation and many new trix besides, but the entry deadline was 5 days after i got back... we had a video of an old fire show and sent it in, but it looks so mediocre now. plus my boyfriend, a premiere wizard, had uni exams that week so the final cut was rushed into one afternoon. big hairy balls.
but hey, its all worth it cos we get a free copy at least! and does anyone know when the video is coming out?

... its like being two inches tall on ten foot stilts

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if i do get included.
if i don't.
i am already happy.
cus me improved me.

'sometimes life is about wanting what you got, noy just getting what you want'

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
yep yep yep...not happy at all...but we must work with what we have, not with what we _will_ have...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
The reason why people find themselves spinning better after they put out videos is because they watch the videos a few times. Especially if they are editing it where they end up watching short clips usually of only a few moves over and over.

IMO the best way to improve with anything physical is to see yourself do it on video. This is why I really want a video camera (amongst other reasons)

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jo:

I have never been happy with a video.

Not once.

Jo.

From what little I have seen you must have awfully high standards then.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:

IMO the best way to improve with anything physical is to see yourself do it on video. This is why I really want a video camera (amongst other reasons)
Another good way (and cheaper at that) to work on your technique is just to watch yourself in a mirror or something reflective.

My personal faves are my back door and the passenger side of my truck.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I am already frustrated at aussie big brother - they tend to nag alot!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I do do that, but it doesn't help with anything where I am moving around a great deal or doing catches where I have to look up etc...

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
[poiaholic22]
>Another good way (and cheaper at that) to work
> on your technique is just to watch yourself in a
> mirror or something reflective.

I found practicing in front of a mirror enormously helpful, especially to get moves from "can kind of do it 8 ot of 10 times" to being clean and smooth and reproducable. Was thinking about getting access to a dance studio or possibly buying a few mirrors to put in my room...

Cameras allow you tho to see yourself from different angles/viewpoints which is helpful at
times. Also you could sit down and watch them carefully & noting more things then while you're
actually concentrating on the trick/looking for a catch... *want a camera!!* .. student budget ... grmpf

Mike

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I was just given a video by Linda (of this board)...it's of a spin I did at a big solstice festival two weeks ago. And even though it's just one of many random performances that weekend, it is still honestly about three times as good as my entry, which I put loads of time into.

*On the other hand*, it's really not that big a deal. I really liked Bender's first post in this thread...sure puts things in perspective. So, I'm still proud my entry because it does show how far I've come in a year and a half.

But that other video is still really cool!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I hear ya,

I like my heavy poi, works the arms and sholders ubblol I started putting weights in my practice poi when I first started long ago... helped for when I douced, the poi where not so heavey biggrin

I just sent my video in for COL5, and I porposly Didn't Put In Any My Signiture Moves! I don't know If I want to put them out to the masses yet. I do a Ton of things under the legs, but none of those moves are in the flick. I also just had to make room for my Staff and Double Staff rutiens in the same 5 min clip confused so most of my poi was edited out frown I did however throw a staff move in I would like to say was mine, but am sure someone does it somewhere (As well as 'my signiture poi moves' ~I just can't send them out to the masses yet wink Ive spent to many Years fine tuning them)

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!