Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Just a quick thought about the sumbission deadline. I think this deadline is relatively inconvenient to two groups of people on HoP.

I belong to both, so feel free to question the motivations of this post.

The first group consists of anyone living in an area where it gets cold during the winter. Months of training without fire is bad, and praciticing in cramped indoor spaces most of the time can *kill* any skill acquired.

The second group is students, who'd be studying and writing exams when they'd need to be practicing for an entry. (However, I don't think this is as much of an inconvenience as a bad winter, and I doubt if it affects as many people.)

After a solid summer of training last year, I was looking forward to sharing what I've learned with my HoPpers. But after this winter and given my exams, there's no way I'll be anywhere near as good as I could be, and I don't do things halfassed. I'm certain that others must be having similiar problems.

Is this deadline set in stone for the future...is it a tradition we want to keep? Is there anyone who would be inconvenienced by pushing it back a month or two? Does anyone support the idea of doing so? Is anyone against it for any reason?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i think the deadine is to give malcolm time to edit footage.
last year there was so much i think about 9hours of footage sent to him for COL3, i wouldnt want to go through all that. this way gives him more time as the video is going to be longer than the other COL video's. [dont quote me on that][screams for malcolm ]

as for the cold weather.... sucks doesnt it. its so cold at night here in the UK.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
yes, and when it is warm enough to film for us, it is cold for them....

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
*comes barging into thread in a bad Malcolm disguise, fake moustache hanging sideways*

ahem yes, yes the compilation will take exactly 20 of your earth days, human!
also, i think that bender's little sister is not sexy at all and would never touch vegemite.
i am not a robot
** end statement **

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
:spoken in robot voice: "It is time to finish this, Puny human"
Non-Https Image Link

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Man, it was so cold at the last party we did outside (two days ago) that our fire almost wouldn't work....

the kerosine fuel was solidified, so we had to use a thinner fuel (white gas). So then, after we spun off the excess fuel, it would still come flying off after the wicks heated up because the fuel was still too viscouse (even gasoline has a tempurature where it is a strait liquid with no vapor)....very bad situation.

learned a leason though. No twirling fire when it is 20 degrees below zero outside...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
so, what happens whenit is time for the next video, and it is warm up here and cold down there?

This whole opposite seasons thing can be a realy drag sometimes...

I was exagerating aobut how cold it was, it was actually only about NEGATIVE 5 degrees centgrade.

I wonder if there is an "optimal time" to have due dates, so it is good weather for everybody? is may that time? I am unfamiliar with weather in the southern hemisphere. But I think April is when it is just starting to be the best weather for us, it is just getting warm enought to wear anything you want outside at night. So, is it just starting to get cooler in the southern hemi in may?

I guess there would be two times a year when our weathers are equall, nobody to hot, nobody to cold. may and november?

Maybe april and october would be the best time to film? We still have cold days occationally in april, but for the most part it is good weather. In october it is prettty nice too. some good days, some bad, but it averages out well.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
sorry, I didn't mean to

Whatever time you set is fine by me.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
May 31st? wow, from the bottom of my cholesterol-riddled heart, i thank thee!
/goes on a diet.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
so, this is why the deadline was extended! good work paddy and thanks alot malcolm.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
So what made you choose that particular date, Malcolm?

That' the date that little Charles is due (or Charlette)!!!!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?