• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 1234
Whiffle Squeek

Whiffle Squeek

addict

Total posts: 416
Posted:

[ 11 September 2002, 13:16: Message edited by: Malcolm ]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete Topic

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:Which brings me to my next point (so different it needed a different thread.)

Cass and I were talking about COL3 and I came up with an idea for COL4... Inside/with each video purchased you'd get a postcard addressed to malcolm which would have a "Viewers choice" category. This way everyone who purchased a video could stick a stamp on the card and vote (once) for such things as:

Best Poi Spinner
Best Staff Spinner

and even silly categories like...

Prettiest location
Best Costume
Best Technical Spinner
Best Fire Dancer
Best Original Music

Of course there wouldn't be money associated with each winner or Malcolm would go broke BUT it would kick everyone in the pants to spin somewhere other than behind the trailer park bathrooms in my AC/DC shirt.

I think that having a "peoples champion" as well takes some of the pressure off of the judges. The judge could still pick the grand winner.

And by including one vote in each video you'd encourage sales too! If someone wants to buy 500 videos to win and that money keeps HoP up and running, SO BE IT! Granted, you'd still have pockets of unscrupulous people voting for friends but I dont' think it'd be as bad.

[There Cassandre, I said it! Happy? ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Allie

Total posts: 30
Posted:Now that sounds like a cool idea

Delete

Malcolm
SAPPHIRE Member since Nov 2003

Malcolm

HOP admin

Total posts: 1012
Posted:NYC and Cassandra

Excellent Idea
Thanks

Malcolm

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

Kyrian

Dreamer

Total posts: 4308
Posted:I like NYC's idea, i don't want to overwork Malcom tho, don't take on more of that than you can handle sweetie!

I also have a suggestion for col4 (shoudl we be on a new thread?)

can we do a section of non-competition submissions? perhaps you can put safeguard in that section, i.e. sponsors, right to refuse, etc, but my hope is that might encourage video footage from some people who don't want performance arts to be about competition, so that we could still watch them and learn from them.(examples including glass and dom).

just a thought.

peace & love, kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Delete

Kyrian

Dreamer

Total posts: 4308
Posted:Hit me mods, i'm going off-topic again!
but malcolm that is the coolest thing you just did!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Posted:Well I've always said that the videos should be pre-editied to under 3 minutes. This way Malcolm won't have to edit at all. I strongly suggest a "Send us your best 3 minutes"...

If that's too harsh (and I don't think it is) then at least limit the raw footage.

I wish there was something that could be done about music too... I'd love to have people have more live/uncopyrighted music but I've no real idea how...

[Thinkin out loud again...]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

jaidendawn

Total posts: 38
Posted:For electronic music lovers, it is not that hard to get a live set. You can contact a local DJ (there are always more than enough to go around)And ask them to spin while you spin and record video. The ones I have met jump at the chance to do something like that.

Live music, such as is made with instruments is a bit harder to get and to control the sound quality. It is also more difficult to get original works. But still, almost everyone knows someone in a garge band, don't they? ok, well I don't, but they must still be out there, right?

~~Every Object, Every Being, Is A Jar Full Of Delight...~~

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Total posts: 4224
Posted:Happy you posted it FINALLY, NYC . I do think it is a very good idea

Agree with editing and music too

looking forward to COL 4

shine on
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Delete

Raphael96
SILVER Member since Sep 2002

old hand

Total posts: 899
Posted:That would be cool.

Delete

Mark P
BRONZE Member since Oct 2001

Mark P

old hand

Total posts: 1031
Posted:Can't wait, Can't wait!!!!!

I really am going to get off my 'bum' and get a descent video sent in for Col4 - dont think I am anywhere near the stage where I could win it but I am really looking forwards to showing off what I know

Smoked far too much before Col3 and forgot to send in the video - oh well!

Mark P

Delete

Kurobei

Total posts: 786
Posted:We've already got some video clips of Poi, Staff, Devil Stick, Diabolo, etc some of them on fire as well!! Might see about getting them sent in.

whats up with all the limitations?

Delete

Raphael96

old hand

Posted:I'd love to send in a video, but as I just started I'll have to wait until COL 9 before I have anything worth showing!

Raphael

Delete

Cantus
SILVER Member since Jul 2001

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Total posts: 15965
Posted:I'm entering that year too Raph. Hopefully by then all the good spinners from now will be too old to even lift their chosen toys let alone spin them . . .

Just a thought.

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Mark P

Mark P

old hand

Posted:c@ntus,

You fail to realise that we will never be too old to lift our toys

Cybernetics is the way forwards, by the time col 9 comes out we will be able to have titanium bones and wierd elastic band type thingys as muscles

Mark P

Delete

Raphael96

old hand

Posted:I am just working towards not hitting myself in the head too much by then!

Raph

Delete

Mark P

Mark P

old hand

Posted:lol Raph,

I have been doing too much over the last weekend (poi and work wise) and was that tired last night that my arms really didnt want to work!

So yes I have some singed patches of hair today

P

Delete

Raphael96

old hand

Posted:heh..

If my ponytail ever caught fire it would be a pretty bad scene..

Raphael

Delete

Le Skunk

Total posts: 84
Posted:hey NYC,
that editing thing doesn't work...
i sent in a pre edited 5 minute thing (that was the time limit specified) for col3 but it got cut down to no more than 45 seconds or so...since i was able to edit it myself and cut it down to some of my coolest moves, it was jam packed with action and as a result the video that made it on the tape seemed butchered to me, and some of my most kickass stuff has been edited out...

not to complain, and i know the judging is hard and there always are gonna be crybabies, so i didn't say anything until now (months after the competition), but it certainly seemed to me that people with much less impressive (ok, maybe that's a bad choice of words, let's just say "original") stuff on their tapes had 5-10 minutes of the same move over and over again unedited on the final tape...i don't really care about prize money, glory, reputation, all that shiza, but it did make me feel kinda cheated that people who are taking moves that they saw me do on COL2 are winning competitions while my new, never before seen on the web stuff gets cut off...

ok no more bitching i promise...

peax

Skunk

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Posted:I did remember you guys working on editing that video but never got the final verdict. I can vouch for the fact that most of your good tricks got cut which made me sad. I keep trying to explain what some of them are to people who say "Yeah, I saw him on COL3..."

"No, you didn't."

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Total posts: 4224
Posted:Skunk,

Having seen you spin I must say I have much respect and love the inspiration I get each time I watch you. Just wanted to add though that i think its not very fair of you to attack Shibak on his winning the competition though Hes always had his style and allthough I trust he is clever enough to be inspired by others, I dont feel hes imitated you, only poorly I have tremendous respect for Jeffs style and dont feel his winning was a mistake.
Thats my opinion and in NO WAY an attack and well I kinda hope you wont get too pissed at me. I feel for you and am VERY VERY curious to see your entire footage that NYC kept talking about.

Shine on
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Delete

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:You can get it on dvd cant you?

Delete

Kurobei

Total posts: 786
Posted:Would be ebtter than VHS!!

whats up with all the limitations?

Delete

bender
GOLD Member since Nov 2001

still can't believe it's not butter

Total posts: 6979
Posted:and PAL is better than everything! phwoar!
/thumbs his nose(s) at the rest of the world from the 'better' hemisphere. (we have sheep y'know!)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:quote:Originally posted by Le Skunk:
hey NYC,
that editing thing doesn't work...
i sent in a pre edited 5 minute thing (that was the time limit specified) for col3 but it got cut down to no more than 45 seconds or so...since i was able to edit it myself and cut it down to some of my coolest moves, it was jam packed with action and as a result the video that made it on the tape seemed butchered to me, and some of my most kickass stuff has been edited out...

not to complain, and i know the judging is hard and there always are gonna be crybabies, so i didn't say anything until now (months after the competition), but it certainly seemed to me that people with much less impressive (ok, maybe that's a bad choice of words, let's just say "original") stuff on their tapes had 5-10 minutes of the same move over and over again unedited on the final tape...i don't really care about prize money, glory, reputation, all that shiza, but it did make me feel kinda cheated that people who are taking moves that they saw me do on COL2 are winning competitions while my new, never before seen on the web stuff gets cut off...

ok no more bitching i promise...

peax

SkunkUnfortunately because of the number of people entering we could not offer a total of 5 minutes each.
We were very impressed with your skills.
However winners and what does not get cut is not based on technical ability alone.

I believe we can do a pre-edited entries thing. But may have to limit it to 2 minutes.
However because of the volume of entries all may not make it onto the final video.

Do you think it is fair to limit it to only the first 40 people to get their videos in?
Is two minutes too long if they are no good?
It two minutes too short if the are really good?
Your thoughts?

Delete

[Nx?]
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3749
Posted:yes and yes.

im not to hot on the judging myself, just you wait, grrrr.

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Posted:Yikes. In retrospect I probably owe my buddy Skunk an apology. Not to beat a dead horse but it was pretty clearly stated that COL3 entries should have been 5 minutes or less...

In this thread.

I can certainly empathaise with his frustration about having spent all the time editing his own video down to the 5 minute time period (and I remember it took them a WHILE to do that). Then having it edited again. Especially amongst the recent threads with implications that "all New York spinners spin the same"...

I honestly don't care who won or how the competition was judged, but I do think it's unfair to edit. Especially if it's the good stuff. If someone's going to create artwork and sign it, altering it (especially reducing it) can be insulting to the artist. Especially if they originally fit within the specified structure of the event.

I know I've had tons of respect for just about everything that HoP has done, which is why I feel I can be honest about my critique as well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:The 5 minutes specified was based on how many entries we had for COL2. Unfortunately we got many more than we expected. And I had not set a maximum number of entries and we only had limited time on the tape. My first mistake

That is why I want to be more deifined in the next one.
Should fix previous problem.
2 minutes only (comments longer/shorter?)
and First 40 tapes only (comments less/more?)
We could also use a 3 hour tape (3 minutes x 55 people) but is that too long?
If we set 2 minutes for each piece then if we get more than 40 entries then number 41, 42, 43 etc will all miss out and not appear at all. If they are much better that any other entries (1-40) and find out they were only just too late to get in they will get upset too. No matter what we do we will upset someone.

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:Skunk,

My fullest appologies for editing down your entry for the COL3 video. I should have deleted other peoples entries who had sent me hours of video.
I should have thought more before I made the last cutting decissions. I think I was tired and over worked at the time, but that is really no excuse.
With a bit more planning I hope to make putting the COL4 together easier with less work for myself and hopefully no editing required.
As NYC said, and I fully agree, editing or changing an artists piece of work should never be done.

Much respect to you

Malcolm

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:After much thought another rule that should be in place is for editing.

My editing changes how people are seen. And other editing by the performer does this also.

Judging is based (for myself atleast) on a poll we did a while back

quote:Poll Title: What do you rate highest in a performance?
Fluidity of Movement 32.7% (80 Votes)
Passion or Energy 22.1% (54 Votes)
Choreography 11.8% (29 Votes)
Rhythm of Movement 9.8% (24 Votes)
Variety 9.4% (23 Votes)
Difficulty of tricks 8.1% (20 Votes)
When someone edits out lots of parts within a performance it changes the appearance of that performance. Fluidity can be lost or created and it can become an entry based on who has the best editing skills.
eg. When George Lucas makes a movie I am sure he films hundreds of hours of footage, lots of bits he does not like. He edits most of them out creating a better shorter fluid product. We see the end product and forget all the mistakes and boring parts that were hidden by editing.

True performance happens with the live performer. No editing.

To keep things all true and fair I believe we should not allow any cuts/edits within the time allocated. Mistakes should be seen if they happen.

After thinking much about the time allocated
5 minutes is a good time as a maximum
Hello 3 hour tape

Delete

flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:I agree Malcolm - 5 mins max, first in: best dressed!

So, when does the comp open?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete

Page: 1234