Page:
Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:

[ 11 September 2002, 13:16: Message edited by: Malcolm ]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Which brings me to my next point (so different it needed a different thread.)

Cass and I were talking about COL3 and I came up with an idea for COL4... Inside/with each video purchased you'd get a postcard addressed to malcolm which would have a "Viewers choice" category. This way everyone who purchased a video could stick a stamp on the card and vote (once) for such things as:

Best Poi Spinner
Best Staff Spinner

and even silly categories like...

Prettiest location
Best Costume
Best Technical Spinner
Best Fire Dancer
Best Original Music

Of course there wouldn't be money associated with each winner or Malcolm would go broke BUT it would kick everyone in the pants to spin somewhere other than behind the trailer park bathrooms in my AC/DC shirt.

I think that having a "peoples champion" as well takes some of the pressure off of the judges. The judge could still pick the grand winner.

And by including one vote in each video you'd encourage sales too! If someone wants to buy 500 videos to win and that money keeps HoP up and running, SO BE IT! Granted, you'd still have pockets of unscrupulous people voting for friends but I dont' think it'd be as bad.

[There Cassandre, I said it! Happy? ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Alliemember
30 posts

Posted:
Now that sounds like a cool idea

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I like NYC's idea, i don't want to overwork Malcom tho, don't take on more of that than you can handle sweetie!

I also have a suggestion for col4 (shoudl we be on a new thread?)

can we do a section of non-competition submissions? perhaps you can put safeguard in that section, i.e. sponsors, right to refuse, etc, but my hope is that might encourage video footage from some people who don't want performance arts to be about competition, so that we could still watch them and learn from them.(examples including glass and dom).

just a thought.

peace & love, kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hit me mods, i'm going off-topic again!
but malcolm that is the coolest thing you just did!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well I've always said that the videos should be pre-editied to under 3 minutes. This way Malcolm won't have to edit at all. I strongly suggest a "Send us your best 3 minutes"...

If that's too harsh (and I don't think it is) then at least limit the raw footage.

I wish there was something that could be done about music too... I'd love to have people have more live/uncopyrighted music but I've no real idea how...

[Thinkin out loud again...]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

jaidendawnmember
38 posts

Posted:
For electronic music lovers, it is not that hard to get a live set. You can contact a local DJ (there are always more than enough to go around)And ask them to spin while you spin and record video. The ones I have met jump at the chance to do something like that.

Live music, such as is made with instruments is a bit harder to get and to control the sound quality. It is also more difficult to get original works. But still, almost everyone knows someone in a garge band, don't they? ok, well I don't, but they must still be out there, right?

~~Every Object, Every Being, Is A Jar Full Of Delight...~~

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Happy you posted it FINALLY, NYC . I do think it is a very good idea

Agree with editing and music too

looking forward to COL 4

shine on
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
That would be cool.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Can't wait, Can't wait!!!!!

I really am going to get off my 'bum' and get a descent video sent in for Col4 - dont think I am anywhere near the stage where I could win it but I am really looking forwards to showing off what I know

Smoked far too much before Col3 and forgot to send in the video - oh well!

Mark P

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
We've already got some video clips of Poi, Staff, Devil Stick, Diabolo, etc some of them on fire as well!! Might see about getting them sent in.

whats up with all the limitations?

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I'd love to send in a video, but as I just started I'll have to wait until COL 9 before I have anything worth showing!

Raphael

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm entering that year too Raph. Hopefully by then all the good spinners from now will be too old to even lift their chosen toys let alone spin them . . .

Just a thought.

Meh

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
c@ntus,

You fail to realise that we will never be too old to lift our toys

Cybernetics is the way forwards, by the time col 9 comes out we will be able to have titanium bones and wierd elastic band type thingys as muscles

Mark P

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I am just working towards not hitting myself in the head too much by then!

Raph

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
lol Raph,

I have been doing too much over the last weekend (poi and work wise) and was that tired last night that my arms really didnt want to work!

So yes I have some singed patches of hair today

P

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
heh..

If my ponytail ever caught fire it would be a pretty bad scene..

Raphael

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
hey NYC,
that editing thing doesn't work...
i sent in a pre edited 5 minute thing (that was the time limit specified) for col3 but it got cut down to no more than 45 seconds or so...since i was able to edit it myself and cut it down to some of my coolest moves, it was jam packed with action and as a result the video that made it on the tape seemed butchered to me, and some of my most kickass stuff has been edited out...

not to complain, and i know the judging is hard and there always are gonna be crybabies, so i didn't say anything until now (months after the competition), but it certainly seemed to me that people with much less impressive (ok, maybe that's a bad choice of words, let's just say "original") stuff on their tapes had 5-10 minutes of the same move over and over again unedited on the final tape...i don't really care about prize money, glory, reputation, all that shiza, but it did make me feel kinda cheated that people who are taking moves that they saw me do on COL2 are winning competitions while my new, never before seen on the web stuff gets cut off...

ok no more bitching i promise...

peax

Skunk

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I did remember you guys working on editing that video but never got the final verdict. I can vouch for the fact that most of your good tricks got cut which made me sad. I keep trying to explain what some of them are to people who say "Yeah, I saw him on COL3..."

"No, you didn't."

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Skunk,

Having seen you spin I must say I have much respect and love the inspiration I get each time I watch you. Just wanted to add though that i think it’s not very fair of you to attack Shibak on his winning the competition though … He’s always had his style and allthough I trust he is clever enough to be inspired by others, I don’t feel he’s imitated you, only poorly I have tremendous respect for Jeff’s style and don’t feel his winning was a mistake.
That’s my opinion and in NO WAY an attack and well … I kinda hope you won’t get too pissed at me. I feel for you and am VERY VERY curious to see your entire footage that NYC kept talking about.

Shine on
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You can get it on dvd cant you?

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
Would be ebtter than VHS!!

whats up with all the limitations?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
and PAL is better than everything! phwoar!
/thumbs his nose(s) at the rest of the world from the 'better' hemisphere. (we have sheep y'know!)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yes and yes.

im not to hot on the judging myself, just you wait, grrrr.

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yikes. In retrospect I probably owe my buddy Skunk an apology. Not to beat a dead horse but it was pretty clearly stated that COL3 entries should have been 5 minutes or less...

In this thread.

I can certainly empathaise with his frustration about having spent all the time editing his own video down to the 5 minute time period (and I remember it took them a WHILE to do that). Then having it edited again. Especially amongst the recent threads with implications that "all New York spinners spin the same"...

I honestly don't care who won or how the competition was judged, but I do think it's unfair to edit. Especially if it's the good stuff. If someone's going to create artwork and sign it, altering it (especially reducing it) can be insulting to the artist. Especially if they originally fit within the specified structure of the event.

I know I've had tons of respect for just about everything that HoP has done, which is why I feel I can be honest about my critique as well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I agree Malcolm - 5 mins max, first in: best dressed!

So, when does the comp open?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:

Right 5 minutes it is then - not going to miss out this time - when an' where d'ya em

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah 5 mins/3Hrs sounds supah fine, especially since DVD [next chapter] button can speed things along! rules out my havin' a comedy skit tho...
/grooms hair...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrm... I'm just concerned about the "first 36 entries" lowering the level of the spinners on the video. I'd be more comfortable with the "best 36 spinners" or something... I know that will probably hurt feelings and such but I really don't want to watch some kid do the weave behind his trash dumpster for 5 minutes.

There will always be people who will send in crap JUST to be on a video. Please don't be nice and let them clog up the competition.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I realy don't know how many entries you receive for these events, so I can't criticize the number 36 too much. However, when inspecting my COL3 case I came across a little blurb that read "Highlights from the 2002 video competition at www.homeofpoi.com". To me, highlights are spectacles, things of beauty and skill, clips that stand out for one reason or another. If you were to only accept 36 entries COL4 would no longer be highlights and simply become the yearly HOP video compalation. I myself would be hesetant to purchase such a video.

Now, I would understand not accepting any entries after the cutoff date, or giving preference to the first 36, but not discounting all entries past that number. As NYC brought up, I would hate to see several 5 min segments of "the fountain" taped in someone's backyard just because they were quick to send in their entries.

At least, that's my thoughts.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
With a first come, first served rule in place for COL 4, if I sent in a video quickly enough I could get my act on COL 4.

Right now, nobody wants that.

Please, just pick the BEST 36.

Maybe I'll be ready to send something in a few years, but until then, don't make it easier than it should be. The bar of excellence should continue to be raised!

My 2 cents,

Raph

Page: