• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 1234
Whiffle Squeek

Whiffle Squeek

addict

Total posts: 416
Posted:

[ 11 September 2002, 13:16: Message edited by: Malcolm ]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete Topic

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-single

Total posts: 536
Posted:hehehe...i loved that premier.....
the movie waz better though....

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Delete

breaker
BRONZE Member since Apr 2002

Total posts: 36
Posted:santanatwo
Member # 525

posted 09. October 2002 07:49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I belive the reason for wanting uncut footage relates to the fact that a person could take an hour of footage, with a thousand mistakes and edit it down to a five minute tape with no mistakes and all bad ass moves. Which is sort of cheating in a way, because in a real life performance you need to make it all the way through a spin with bad ass moves and NO mistakes. So, as much as I would like to edit out my mistakes and have a tape of all my bad ass stuff, with no mistakes, I almost always either end up making a mistake before I finish a run of all my best stuff, or I forget to include something I really like, so either way, I'm screwed. I think unedited footage gives a better representation of a persons true skill.
--------------------------------------------------

i fully agree with all that. i mean if everyone sent in an edited video of only their best stuff then it would be a lil harder to judge. now if you tape your whole 1 - 5 minutes and send it in as is and malcom wants to edit it then that's great. please people, don't be afraid to let us see you fu** up. it's only human. i mean i've been spinning or like 2 years now and i still tangle my strings/chains, yes i still use glowstix, and still hit myself. but i think that if i mess up then i was meant to for some reason. so enough of my ranting.

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

Delete

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British

Total posts: 5688
Posted:Does anyone else think this is getting just a teensy-weensy bit over-complicated?

Definately we need rules, and yes, these should include regulations for the content and type of material provided - but for first time entrants (Myself, possibly included ) this is all becoming a bit daunting.

I personally don't believe Self-editting should be compuslory, for the simple fact that I doubt many people have the technology or the ability to do it. I for one am having difficulty just tracking down a camera, let alone an editing suite or whatever.

If you can; great, do it, it'll make the judges life easier - but you can't descriminate against people who don't have the means to do this.

When it comes down to music - it could be worth searching through free music sights (eg www.mp3.com ) and searching for something you like. As most of the bands on there are either amateur or semi-pro, I doubt they'd have much objection to free publiicty of their music, and some of it is very good.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

Richee
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

HOP librarian

Total posts: 1841
Posted:I think I understand all of us .Isnt now vid compilation for those who havent knew how to continue in this arts,but heartily want?To help em,show new stiles,ways?...Twirl 3 years about till now.Im one of...

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

Danoman

Total posts: 1
Posted:What's up to my new friends? I'm obviously new at this forum, but, I can'twist' with the best(well, really, I just started about 8 months ago). WOW, what an art form... We,(me and my wife) saw this last year at Clearwater Beach, and what a sigh... We both looked at each other and, without words, said, Damnit, this is what I'm going to learn. It's awesome, what a workout... We have some 'mixing' programs that really work for 'our' taste. We have joined a 'news group' and we are enjoying some state of the art releases from artists.(the only way to 'be able to afford to do this with three kids). I am out there to challenge ANYONE to 'twisting', but, I am a 'cool' challenge, and will bow to someone better than me. I WANT TEACHING!!! I am completely willing to show anyone what I have learned, This is such an artform that people just don't understand, how? You can always be pretty in what you do, but, can you also be deadly, and pretty at the same time?(I think so). Try me, and see if I can get any better??!! Please??!!!

Delete

poiaholic22

Total posts: 531
Posted:WHOA!I was just thinking yesterday that "I wonder if anyone in Maine spins?" How ironic.

I think some people on this board need to stop worrying about the rules and need to go find themselves a camera.You've only got two more months.

Delete

DJ Dantana
BRONZE Member since Aug 2001

veteran

Total posts: 1495
Posted:Instead of 3 big prizes and only a few winners...what about getting back to basics. Have slightly smaller prizes, but everybody who sends in a video gets a copy, and everybody featured on the video gets TWO copies...? That way, in a way, everybody wins. (just a thought) maybe I just like the idea of getting two copies, so I can loan one to people, you know, to spread the art!?!?!?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Delete

Malcolm
SAPPHIRE Member since Nov 2003

Malcolm

HOP admin

Total posts: 999
Posted:quote:Originally posted by santanatwo:
Instead of 3 big prizes and only a few winners...what about getting back to basics. Have slightly smaller prizes, but everybody who sends in a video gets a copy, and everybody featured on the video gets TWO copies...? That way, in a way, everybody wins. (just a thought) maybe I just like the idea of getting two copies, so I can loan one to people, you know, to spread the art!?!?!?I have made it so

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

JeStEr
SILVER Member since Jul 2001

enthusiast

Total posts: 214
Posted:Ok Malcolm so everybody that sends in a video for the comp gets a copy of COL4, and people featured on it get 2 copys.

What price tag do the winners get? I personnally think $200 USD worth of equipment is a better figure as it's enough to buy the most expensive thing I could find in the shop, those 'ultima swinging tubes' if you want them.

But if doing both of the above things could leave you short for putting money back into this site etc then it's not worth it, so what's the plan?

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

Delete

Dio

Dio

HoP Mechanical Engineer

Total posts: 729
Posted:Quick idea about the video setup itself... could the "winners" be mentioned on the video itself, like a sort of top-ten countdown? Obviously a viewer's choice would have to come after the video release, but a countdown could be a nice suspense builder and put a neat spin on the CoL video format. Would also make things a bit simpler in terms of announcing the winners, since I recall a bit of confusion has occurred in the past when the winners were posted on the boards or what have you.

Maybe also have Malcolm film some short transitional sections between performances of himself saying what he liked about that particular submission? He could be like the MTV Carson Daly of fire spinning... hehehe j/k Malcolm but you understand what I'm saying?

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Delete

NightShade1

Total posts: 368
Posted:now ummm what the judge look at the stringers???
to qualify?

And also.. ummm does the ppl that does poi with fire get extra points or something over the one that doesnt do it with fire??? cause i will swing glowsticks... or phtons i dunno

Dance like if noone were watching you

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:Nightshade,

It does not matter what you swing. Be it glowstick, fire, sock, fluffy toy animal, tailed fabric poi, electronic lighted poi.. etc
Does not make a difference to me.

Regards

Malcolm

Delete

PK_
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

PK_

Lambretta Fanatic

Total posts: 4991
Posted:damn malcolm, your giving out a lot this time round.

one question, for you.
spinners with special needs such as me and glass, will we get extra for enthusiasm?

[ 17. January 2003, 10:04: Message edited by: PK [Dreadlocked-Rasclat] ]

PK.

"To be an angel, one need not have wings.
In giving love there is an equal grace.
Nor need one seek the aura in the face,
As love unveils the beauty of all things."

*Francois Couperin.

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:PK,

I will love what ever you do I am sure
What are your special needs?

Malcolm

Delete

Glåss
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Glåss

The Ministry of Manipulation

Total posts: 2523
Posted:Pk your being bad

Delete

PK_
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

PK_

Lambretta Fanatic

Total posts: 4991
Posted:sorry malcolm, cant say for now, but enjoy when you find it.
glass

PK.

"To be an angel, one need not have wings.
In giving love there is an equal grace.
Nor need one seek the aura in the face,
As love unveils the beauty of all things."

*Francois Couperin.

Delete

DJ Dantana

veteran

Posted:Is it getting hot in here, or is it me?

Delete

FireSpirit
SILVER Member since Mar 2001

FireSpirit

Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing

Total posts: 743
Posted:I just finnished filming 3 sets with low shutter speed (around 8 so you can see tracers) Is that a special effect? Also I had two cammeras at diffrent angles so I will have to edit.

Did you mean you wanted all of the raw footie, or just one show? Or can I edit the two cameras into one show?

I also did not use Music. I compose it in my head while spinning. I was just going to put quiet Ocien Wave Sounds, or something in the bacground, with the flames. Is that Bad?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:Yes you can edit it and add special effects if you like. For latest rules see here . You can ask us to edit it for you.
Any music will do. Even wave sounds of the sea. Just try to keep quality of sound as good as possible.

Delete

FireSpirit

FireSpirit

Posted:Cool Malcolm!! I will try to get it in as soon as possible!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Delete

Dio

Dio

HoP Mechanical Engineer

Posted:Any word on the "Malcolm commentary?" What do ppl think of it?

Delete

bender
GOLD Member since Nov 2001

still can't believe it's not butter

Total posts: 6979
Posted:52 days till judgement day babe!
time enuff to shake off that procrastination and consti- ..um thing. and grab uncle's camera, and auntie's knickers and showcase the fire that ya love so!
top shtuff!
52 days or 5 washes, whatever your time measurement untis are.

oh dear it is now 1:49am i mean 4:19 oh wha-

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

Meenik
SAPPHIRE Member since Nov 2001

Meenik

enthusiast

Total posts: 272
Posted:So there are no winners at all for 3 months? Isn't that a long time to wait in anticipation? I liked the original idea of one poi and one staff winner selected by judges, and a favourite clip selected by viewers. Why was it changed?

Oh, and how about this: Can the northern hemisphere have an extra month? Malcolm and co. can work on the southern hemisphere entries while it gets warm enough to film for the rest of us, then they can go through our entries, and voila: A COL video.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Peace to all.

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

Delete

FireSpirit

FireSpirit

Posted:I like the Idea for a longer tape time (3 Hrs) Put the best of (fire) in the front, Glow sticks and other non-flaming things near the end.

Just an Idea?
This would get more spinners on the tape, and everyone will be happy to see themselfs on the vidio.
I would watch 3 hrs of good spinning. Even if I had to shut it off, and come back to it.

I just would feel bad if i sent something in I worked so hard on, only to get rejected or cut up. The longer tape would eliminate that.

What do you say?

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:quote:Originally posted by FireSpirit:
I like the Idea for a longer tape time (3 Hrs) Put the best of (fire) in the front, Glow sticks and other non-flaming things near the end.

Just an Idea?
This would get more spinners on the tape, and everyone will be happy to see themselfs on the vidio.
I would watch 3 hrs of good spinning. Even if I had to shut it off, and come back to it.

I just would feel bad if i sent something in I worked so hard on, only to get rejected or cut up. The longer tape would eliminate that.

What do you say?

~Fire Spirit In the rules it says

2. Only a selected 36* entries will make it to final COL4. Must arrive before 31st May 2003 at Home of Poi, 39 Woodbury Street, Christchurch, New Zealand. (* if some entries are shorter than 5 minutes then more can be allowed to fit on tape.)

If you do the maths..
We are actually intending to do a 3 hour tape (36 x 5mins)
I now expect a full 5 minutes from you in your entry.

Delete

DJ Dantana

veteran

Posted:now that you mention it....I guess your right about the math. I kind of assumed it would be the same length as the previouse three COLs.
I never thought to calculate it.

Delete

Dio

Dio

HoP Mechanical Engineer

Posted:CoL - now better and longer-lasting than ever

Again I ask... could we have a short section of Malcolm on the vid making some kind of commentary? Like an intro or countdown or something before the actual fire videos? Don't mean to harp on it, but nobody responded to my earlier suggestions...

Delete

DJ Dantana

veteran

Posted:I would love to see some footage of malcolm too.

Maybe even him spinning a little bit. With roller blades?

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:OK, but you must promise not to laugh

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:I do appear on the end of the Sage video. I am doing electroglo staff.

Delete

Page: 1234