Page:
Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:

[ 11 September 2002, 13:16: Message edited by: Malcolm ]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
now ummm what the judge look at the stringers???
to qualify?

And also.. ummm does the ppl that does poi with fire get extra points or something over the one that doesnt do it with fire??? cause i will swing glowsticks... or phtons i dunno

Dance like if noone were watching you

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
damn malcolm, your giving out a lot this time round.

one question, for you.
spinners with special needs such as me and glass, will we get extra for enthusiasm?

[ 17. January 2003, 10:04: Message edited by: PK [Dreadlocked-Rasclat] ]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Pk your being bad

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sorry malcolm, cant say for now, but enjoy when you find it.
glass

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Is it getting hot in here, or is it me?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I just finnished filming 3 sets with low shutter speed (around 8 so you can see tracers) Is that a special effect? Also I had two cammeras at diffrent angles so I will have to edit.

Did you mean you wanted all of the raw footie, or just one show? Or can I edit the two cameras into one show?

I also did not use Music. I compose it in my head while spinning. I was just going to put quiet Ocien Wave Sounds, or something in the bacground, with the flames. Is that Bad?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Cool Malcolm!! I will try to get it in as soon as possible!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Any word on the "Malcolm commentary?" What do ppl think of it?

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
52 days till judgement day babe!
time enuff to shake off that procrastination and consti- ..um thing. and grab uncle's camera, and auntie's knickers and showcase the fire that ya love so!
top shtuff!
52 days or 5 washes, whatever your time measurement untis are.

oh dear it is now 1:49am i mean 4:19 oh wha-

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
So there are no winners at all for 3 months? Isn't that a long time to wait in anticipation? I liked the original idea of one poi and one staff winner selected by judges, and a favourite clip selected by viewers. Why was it changed?

Oh, and how about this: Can the northern hemisphere have an extra month? Malcolm and co. can work on the southern hemisphere entries while it gets warm enough to film for the rest of us, then they can go through our entries, and voila: A COL video.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Peace to all.

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
I like the Idea for a longer tape time (3 Hrs) Put the best of (fire) in the front, Glow sticks and other non-flaming things near the end.

Just an Idea?
This would get more spinners on the tape, and everyone will be happy to see themselfs on the vidio.
I would watch 3 hrs of good spinning. Even if I had to shut it off, and come back to it.

I just would feel bad if i sent something in I worked so hard on, only to get rejected or cut up. The longer tape would eliminate that.

What do you say?

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
now that you mention it....I guess your right about the math. I kind of assumed it would be the same length as the previouse three COLs.
I never thought to calculate it.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
CoL - now better and longer-lasting than ever

Again I ask... could we have a short section of Malcolm on the vid making some kind of commentary? Like an intro or countdown or something before the actual fire videos? Don't mean to harp on it, but nobody responded to my earlier suggestions...

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I would love to see some footage of malcolm too.

Maybe even him spinning a little bit. With roller blades?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
That was just a teaser, we want to see more!!!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I reckon there should be some naked chicks! woohoo!...with poi or staff to make it a bit related if you must!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
As cool as that would be , I think malcolm wants it to be an "all ages event"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ok...well have an '18' rated and a under 18 rated video!

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Wonder if Malcom going to like my whip work ? or arsn staff ? Maybe Valura's Poi . Oh well i'll find out soon .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever considered putting together an outtakes section on the next COL tape? Not to encourage people trying to mess up, but anybody that's been taping themselves knows they've got a lot of foul-ups on tape (some pretty priceless) not really bad burn types, but the funnier kind, like when you socre a "Sack tap" with a pair of zuni's, or the like.anyway, just an idea, as im sure there is some funny footage out there.

-Rhys

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
or when you hit yourself in the underarm with fire staff, :ouch:?

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Ok, a couple of comments from me. I haven't yet seen any COL (I promise to soon, though! ), but just some general things.

First of all, I am glad that the editing will be allowed. As Nomad and NYC said, my main thing is to see something entertaining and to challenge me to do difficult stuff.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is not a realistic thing no matter what. Someone can do a performance without any cuts, but if this is their 75th attempt at the same combinations of moves, it still isn't really "realistic".

However, the two methods do lend themselves to different things. One for the overall combination and flow into things. For the other, you can do not only interesting cutting of tricks, but switch between locations and such.

I'm not sure that they require separate categories really, but I don't mind a huge amount.

I'd almost rather that there was no contest aspect at all to it. On the one hand it does encourage people to do their best, but getting onto the video seems like a contest in and of itself. I dunno if it really needs that much more competitive spirit. I think I'd rather it be more like a skating video with lots of random cool stuff put to music. But I doubt that is going to change, so I'll leave it at that...

One thing.. you mentioned a minimum of 1 minute? Would it be possible to have people submit stuff shorter than that? It wouldn't be eligible for winning the contest, but could be pretty neat as filler between performances if someone just wanted to show off one or two cool tricks.

Do you think there should be more specifics in terms of what toys can be on it? It sounds like general spinning stuff can be on there, and fire stuff. What about a non-lit diabolo, or ball juggling, etc? I have some light-up yo-yos that could look interesting, but I don't know if that'd really be appropriate for this...?

Lastly, while the giving of a tape to everyone that sends footage is a very nice gesture, I'm not sure that it is really practical. I mean if there are already a lot of people sending stuff in, I can only imagine it'd go up an order of magnitude since they know they are getting something free. I mean even I would be tempted to send in 5 minutes of me doing the weave just to get a free tape, even though I think my morals would restrict me in the end.

Shawn

ExtremeFiremember
4 posts

Posted:
Interestingly stated.
To put my 2 cents in, I think deep inside everyone, wants to know who is the best. That is life. Fire is an art and an element. Together all of us appreciate what we go through. COL lets those of us who have a competitive side live a little.

I am entering not to win, but to let others see what I can do. Now my associate is entering to win.
Im sure everyone enters for one reason or another, but its not always just to win.
I use to think I was the best girl out there until I seen Sage. The woman is good. I am close, but still miles away.

What will you do? Will you enter or just comment on it?

Yan and Jodi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i still think there should be some naked people though..

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Oh my goodness! Where are my pants? All I want is a descent pair of pants...

ExtremeFiremember
4 posts

Posted:
I did once, in January, where only Latex body paint from the waist up for a promoter in Chicago. It was opening night for a new club called Prive.
I dont think Ill ever do that again! Fun, but I felt like a piece of meat to all those guys. thank god my boyfriend was there in Latex as well.!!!!

Yan and Jodi

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
was he there in latex from the waist down?

otherwise, how would it help for him to be in latex too? guys go topless all the time, ain't no thang.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmmm........naked zebras...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
you see naked zebras too? hey we must drink the same stuff...!
/takes out another bottle of detergent

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
drinkin detergent, snortin ajax....

Page: