Forums > Social Chat > POI-Cruises+Job offers 2

Login/Join to Participate

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
hehe thanks NYC for telling me no one could respond to the other post,, i didn't realize.ANYWAY....I was thinking to myself the other day that on cruise ships they have clubs and people to entertain the adults and the kids on board. My poi skillz are becoming pretty efficient (which doesn't really matter since a weave will entertain most non spinning people as discused by NYC in another thread)So i thought maybe i could get a job entertaining on one of these ships.I'm am going nuts at my job and with the people in this godforsaken state. I nearly hit some old lady the other day who got on my line(i work at a supermarket).I want to be able to travel and meet people from other places. I thought this would actually be a good idea. Anyone know where i could start looking for these offers and how i would go about it. I don't even know where to start.Any help is greatly appreciated.

We are defined by the choices we make

GoldenKrispymember
60 posts

Posted:
Hi Naganootch,Thats a great idea about the cruise liners! what a way to see the world as well! Anyways, my first idea was you could go to this site https://www.thestage.co.uk/
then search for jobs on cruise liners. They may not have any on actual performers, but you could use the company adddresses and write to them explaining what you can offer.Another idea is that you search for cruise companies on the internet and contact them with your ideas. I don't know if you will find this of any help. I am studying performing arts and I'm sure you will know that the performing business is really hard to get into. However, the best way to get yourself noticed is to contact the companies and tell them about yourself!Anyways, Good Luck! Let us know how you get on!Keep Smiling grinGolden

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi Naganootch. Cool idea, there are lots of performers who work on cruise ships but remember, it's still a job, and while your not always treated as one of the crew, you need to act like one the whole time.I'ts a bit like working on an oil rig, if soemthing goes wrong, you're stuck there for a few more months before you can get off.Just thought I'd mention this coz if you're having trouble with the old ladies in the supermarket, you wait to you meet some (not all) of the rich old bags who go on cruises wink You might end up killing them instead of just hitting them...But cool idea too grin grin ------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey dude, no problem...Frankly, I couldn't think of a worse idea. wink No actually the combination of the travel AND entertainment industry is in a huge crunch right now. Cruise ships sales are crazy low. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got the captain doing stand-up for the 5 passengers who actually bought tickets. I can't imagine anyone in the cruise ship industry hiring (unless it's that guy that they hire to fire all the people and then fire him.)If you do get a gig, let me know. I've been itching for a $20 cruise to the bahamas... wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Reesemember
6 posts

Posted:
I just went on a cruise to the Bahamas actually like 3 weeks ago and it was a blast, but some poi on board woulda made it hella sweeter. I actually went outside one evening and was at the rear of the ship and no one was around..it was like i had the ship to myself and couldn't see a damn thing on the horizon..total darkness..all i wanted was some poi...but that's slightly off subject...On the ship each night in this huge lounge, they had performers every evening and one night they had the world's fastest juggler. I'm a fan of juggling, but one man juggling and telling bad jokes can only look so cool for so long; but i could watch good poi for ever..and that's a fresh concept for the average cruise-goer if you ask me. so i say, if you're willing to be a slave on a ship..and from what i gathered, you would be...then go for it!...I went on a carnival cruise maybe you could find a way to contact them and put the juggler from mexico out of business! ---Reese

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Please note, just juggling and telling jokes is very very boring, however that doesn't mean you should put the juggler out of business...I perform with juggling professionally now and then and can keep adults and kids entertained for at least 1/2 an hour. Admittedly there is a lot of talk and a few jokes, but there are some very good entertaining jugglers out there and some terrible entertaining jugglers, its all a matter of style and reacting to the audience...That being said, a juggler who can firedance or do poi would make the show much more entertaining...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?