• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 123
phuzzz
Total posts: 160
Posted:i couldn't help notice there's another vid comp. comming up. I'll be entering the staff section... and the "other" section (iknowthere isn't one.)just wondered who will be joining me on COL3???

Delete Topic

phunky
old hand
Total posts: 877
Posted:If i'm still spinning by then i might send a vid in.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Delete

Whiffle Squeek
Whiffle Squeek

addict
Total posts: 416
Posted:i most likely will be submitting a vid, as will my friend Hitokage, him most likely staff, me most likley poi, should be fun...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

Posted:I'll be entering under double staff and poi.Josh

Delete

Drakien
Total posts: 49
Posted:I'll be entering, for laughs.This better be in the summer, it's hardly ideal weather for spinning here in the great U of K.Oooh, by the way, would it be a terrible inconvenience to let entries use their own music, I realise that not eveyone might be able to do this and that it could skew judging [maybe, *I* don't know
Non-Https Image Link
] but I think the end result would be better.Good luck in advance, J------------------'Only ever use the pink kind...'

Posh ravers wear ties.

Delete

[Nx?]
[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3749
Posted:Lol,You mean the 'yU of K' shurly?might hava shot, see if I can get my new wraps running nicly, maybe double staffs, whens the due date?N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete

phuzzz
Posted:quote:Our current Video complitaion project/competition - Win up to US$1000 of goodsby sending us your video clip of Staff/Poi/Glowstick/Fire Poi before 31st May 2002Please mail your video to Home of Poi, 39 Woodbury Street, Christchurch, New Zealand.

Delete

melissa
Total posts: 156
Posted:hmmm...will there ever be a competion for non-staff/poi fire toys?

Delete

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Total posts: 6193
Posted:Drakien, you can spin all you want to your own selections of music when you send in your tape. However, in the editing process the music gets changed over due to copyright issues. In order for Malcolm to use any music he would have to track down the current publication copyright holder and pay them a fee, which can be up in the hundreds to thousands of dollars per song, depending on what it is. He then has to recognise the copyright holder in the credits, as well as each individual artist. This adds up to alot of time, money and space. Instead what happened the first video is an artist who prefers to remain anonymous submitted the music for use. On COL2, Malcolm asked for some of the many musicians and dj's who frequent the board to submit original music for use on the video. Personally I think it was fantastic and inspiring that the music came from some of our own!Maybe Malcolm can answer if this is the approach he is taking on the new video. Of course, I am certain if you can provide proof of copywrite permission/ownership or spin to your original music he might allow that!
Non-Https Image Link
Anyway, just wanted to answer that question.Oh, and PWB tells me I am submitting but since the deadline is still months away, and it is an icky wet winter here, I am undecided.Best to you all!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...http://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

Katinca
Katinca

See my vest.... see my vest...
Total posts: 693
Posted:I will be entering with poi, and probably some thing else, but I need to practice with the "something else" in the mean time, so I will be good enough to enter with it.
Non-Https Image Link
As for COL2 I thought the idea behind the music is a really good idea. It gives a chance for the people who spin, and create music to send to it in an get an opinion from other people who share one of the same interests as them. I think it's a great idea and I look forward to the next one.And Pele, c'mon you have to send one in this time. Please. We are all keen to see you twirl, and everyone else for that matter. I think you can get a lot out of watching others twirl. Everyone has their own unique way of twirling, and its so fun to see, each individuals "twirling personality"Love and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Delete

Mushinkato
Total posts: 164
Posted:This has probably been asked before, so apologies in advance if it has..I am going to submit a video, and the question is this.. I am aware of the copyright implications, but if one were to send a video in with spinning performed to a particular type of music, (presumptuously assuming it will get used on COL3), would the editors be able to beatmatch it to a soundtrack of their own ??.The reason I ask is because what I intend to do is [try] to do a routine that best fits a particular style of music. I want to keep the timing of my swing consistant all the way through; from both very slow to very fast.Would it help if the original video had my chosen soundtrack on it so the editors could try and match it stylewise to whatever they use..??------------------Kato

Kato

Delete

Bendy
Total posts: 750
Posted:I thought much of the music in the first 2 videos matched the styles quite well. Maybe it wasn't right on the beat, but it didn't really matter.I was eager to enter. Then I saw the videos, now I am a little nervous
Non-Https Image Link
. I think I will still submit something, even if I don't get onto the tape, it will be a little achievement for myself. I encourage other people who are not overly confident to do the same.
Non-Https Image Link
------------------Iggity-aggity-oop-eh-eh! Ziggity-zaggity-zoo-ah-ah! Oooh-ooh-phblt! Eh-eh-ackh! Flippity-flappity-floop!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

Mushinkato
Posted:I know it doesnt *really* matter about the beats.. its the spirit of the whole thing that counts, but you know what I mean when you watch someone keeping near perfect timing; its like watching a metronome; mesmerising in a way..?? Thats what Id like to try and achieve on my attempt.. helped along by the right tunes.ps: Bendy.. I love the PMA
Non-Https Image Link
------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 22 January 2002).]

Kato

Delete

Bendy
Total posts: 750
Posted:PMA??I was thinking that a blooper reel at the end (5 minutes) would be pretty funny, so if anyone does happen to film a screw-up, don't edit it out before you send in the video and we'll see what happens
Non-Https Image Link
Of course, don't mess up on purpose! This isn't Funniest Home Videos!
Non-Https Image Link

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

Posted:Well,I had some ideas about the upcoming video 1) There should be an 'honourable mentions' section at the end of the tape, which contains a 10 second burst each of about 20 people who really obviously are good, but just not quite as polished as the featured twirlers. These people would get themselves on the tape, but wouldnt get a free copy.This way we can put styles /faces /personalities to the names we read everyday, without producing a tape 10 hours long
Non-Https Image Link
People would could fit into this category would be those people who never show up on tape;Like the Staff for instance
Non-Https Image Link
-Charles-Flash-Peleannnnd....the man himself
Non-Https Image Link
MALCOLM
Non-Https Image Link
<shh> and Me
Non-Https Image Link
</shh>I understand that it would be a bit more editing for Malcolm, but it would also benefit in building a global fire community - yay!Kind of like theres the competitive section and the cruisy section.Anyhow - let me know how silly this idea sounds
Non-Https Image Link
Josh [This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 22 January 2002).][This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 22 January 2002).]

Delete

Mushinkato
Posted:Bendy... Positive Mental Attitude..
Non-Https Image Link
Bloopers.. GREAT !!! (Like at the end of most Jackie Chan films.. leave you feeling like youve just been tickled after watching the serious stuff..??)Honorable mentions... great idea!!------------------Kato

Kato

Delete

TranceKuja

Total posts: 68
Posted:I'm thinking of entering...except i've got a few problems:1. no video camera which hooks up to comp2. it's hard for me to spin for over a min without repeating the same stuff...I can do pretty much everything on the site except mexican wave and btb stuff

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

Delete

RavingLunatic

Total posts: 286
Posted:WooHoo, another competition? I am in...I think a boopers reel is a great idea, and I know understand why my awesome music was taken out.. thanks pele, good post about that..------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Delete

phuzzz
Posted:i have been thinking about tk's first point. i'll just post it to malcom and let himm deal withit. mooooooaaaaahahahhahaaahahahaaaaaaaa wait till you all see me secret weapon (creativity and 6 years drama school!)

Delete

Pele'sWhippingBoy
Total posts: 442
Posted:TranceKuja, You can probably send in VHS. That's how the last one was. As for stuff to do. If you do a good routine, it should take 5 minutes. If you're going to do "everything on the site" then only use the first 5 minutes of that. I find it hard to believe that you can do every move that has been mentioned on the site smoothly with nice transitions between them at all, much less in 1 minute.For those worried about music matching your routine. If you literally create your own music and spin to it, you may be able to get that into the video. Note, I said may be able to. I don't know for sure. But it's worth a shot.As for a blooper real, some people's bloopers could be other people's submissions. I think it could open up a can of jokes that doesn't need to be opened.Yes, I would like Pele to submit a tape for the next one. But she's trying to work on her routines for performing for money. It's tough to take time and effort for this.------------------"Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Delete

jonathan
enthusiast
Total posts: 210
Posted:i'll be into having a go!might even get on the end of the video..... hmmm i think i might be a bit staunchly old skool in my style to compete with most people and their flash moves though

Delete

Libra
Libra

Total posts: 47
Posted:I might enter with pois and/or staff.

Delete

TranceKuja

Posted:PWB, I can't do BTB stuff or mexican wave, but anyways, it's kinda hard to put everything on the site into a smooth transition from one into the other...About how much will it cost to send a VHS from california to um...New Zealand?

Delete

Pele'sWhippingBoy
Total posts: 442
Posted:TK, that was kind of my point. You said you can't go for over a minute without repeats. You also said you can do almost all the moves on the board. My statement is that those conflict. If you do your entire move set with transitions and such, that would make for more than a minute. If you're considering what to send, pick some you think look cool (from the camera's perspective) and put them together. That should work fine.Cost to send? Dunno, maybe $5? It's not for a few months or something right? Plenty of time to save up.------------------"Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Delete

Meenik
Meenik

enthusiast
Total posts: 272
Posted:I'm entering poi, staff, and double staff. We've got some pretty steep competition though, huh? Think Sage and Xaeda are gonna start their own store with all the gear they're winning ;o)Mind you, I love a challenge!-nick

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

Delete

Malcolm
Malcolm

HOP admin
Total posts: 992
Posted:MusicAnyone may use their own music as long as it is their own creation.Musicians can submit there own music to help out. music@homeofpoi.com Artists name's and details will appear on video and tape covers, as well as few copies of finished video.VideoI try to get a piece from everyone into the videos. BloopersI have a huge collection of bloopers already, some are quite funny but dangerous looking. I do not have permission to use them though. And must respect those wishes.

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

TranceKuja

Posted:PWB, actually i meant that well...it's possible for me to do almost all of the moves, but some just don't really fit in. Another thing is my strings are really long...about 4/5 my height so i can't exactly do all of the moves in a regular routine (eg corkscrew).BTW, do you have AIM/MSN messenger sns? if ya do, i'd like to talk to ya there. Mines is AIM: TranceKuja0074 and msn is trancekuja74@hotmail.com

Delete

Cantus
Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity
Total posts: 15965
Posted:Ooh Kato. Do you have a camera? I'm still not sure if I'm good enough to be spinning in such a public forum. But if I do enter I'll be doing single and double staff.

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Katinca
Katinca

See my vest.... see my vest...
Total posts: 693
Posted:Cantus, you are entering the video. You've been *told* now.
Non-Https Image Link
So everyone, Cantus will be entering on Single and Double staff.Thank you for the announcement.------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 22 January 2002).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Delete

cryogenic
Total posts: 34
Posted:if i can get a camera organised by then, count me in (prob. staff only, but we'll see)...great idea about the bloopers/honourable mentions thing... im sure i'll have something to contribute to that one..
Non-Https Image Link
------------------If at first you don't succeed, tell everyone you did and hope they don't ask you to prove it...

If at first you don't succeed, tell everyone you did and hope they don't ask you to prove it...

Delete

Mushinkato
Posted:Oooohh...!!! Cantus is joining in..!!! Cant wait to see you on video my man !! [Kato gives Katinca a 'nudge-nudge wink-wink'
Non-Https Image Link
]...and yes matey, I do have a camera; and a camcorder (or is that what you meant..??)And wheres the rest of the Sheffield crew, eh..?? PK.. Noona.. Spiral.. ?? I dont want to feel like the new kid that just got on the school bus for the first time with everybody sitting there who all know each other already and everything goes quiet.... ...yes, but thats how it feeeeels... you know..??ps: - to Malcolm - Having thought about it, I am going to create my own bit of music specially for the video. If its edited nicely with good sound etc etc, would I have to copyrite it myself..?? Also, would I have to give you some sort of legally binding 'permission' to use it..?? (Not that Im really all that fussed) I feel kind of wierd asking because it all sounds so presumptuous, but Im just trying to see it from all angles..------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 23 January 2002).]

Kato

Delete

Page: 123