Page:
Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
I don't know if anyone has had an idea of it before but it just came to my head then to try and make a Glowing Sword somehow. If anybody has had this idea and actually tried it please tell me how it went.

XF

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
mine went 'snap'
'twas more toy than tool, truth be told!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
mmm, glowy swords..that would be nice..They'd hafta be sturdy, cuz I'd just want to go bonk somebody wit em..Hmm, I found a link off this site to cool neon, I think it's called..That would be the way I'd go, for a start..wrap 4 or 5 ft(multiple strands) of the high intensity strands inside some type of clear plastic tube thingie, n I think they make controllers for it small enough to fit inside a handle o sorts..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DangerDaveWoodmember
4 posts

Posted:
fire swords would be easy, just get a length of stainless stell or aluminium buy a load of wick and wrap it round, screwind it through the pipe, then make a quard and some sort of rubber grip if thats what you mean, unless you want it to glow from inside? Im gonna make a fire sword when i get the time though, so ill post some pictures of it

Push past the burn and extreme the Max!

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
I made a lightsabre for a friend of mine. It looked really cool, and only cost like $25.

I got a 4 foot length of electroluminescent wire with a micro controller, and put the controller in a short piece of pvc with holes for the switch and knob. I capped one end of the pvc, and sized the other end with an adapter so i could connect it to a length of translucent polycarb tubing (like electroglow are made of) i sanded the tubing on the inside, so it would refract light better and put in some spacers (acrylic) to support the EL wire. I then ran the EL wire through and rolled the excess at the bottom, into the handle. I capped the end and turned it on. It was awsome.

www.amazing1.com sells something called the Plasma Fire Sabre, which is like this, but with neon(breakable). their site had enough of a description to get me through the tough parts.

i am now thinking about getting the set with one controller and 2 four foot lengths, and making a Maul type light sabre.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

...phobos...member
56 posts

Posted:
my easiest solution would be to just geta crap load of glue sticks and tape them with clear tape around a pipe. Add a grip on the end and....voila!

man, it makes you wanna shoot them in the face and beat them with baseball bats, doesnt it?

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I was in the dollar store today with Deimos and i saw a Light up toy sword, ran on batterys, instantly thought of this thread.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
Where do u get translucent polycarbonate tube?

--Luke

for_my_name_is_shanemember
21 posts

Posted:
sweet dude id be like light sabers

You're just jealous becouse the voices are talking to me.

342 posts

Posted:
off us plastic corp for me... try google...polycarbonate tubing

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I got a 4 foot length of electroluminescent wire with a micro controller

What did you power it with?

Cake or Death?

Psylent_BoBmember
13 posts

Posted:
I had an idea like this a while ago,

a friend of a friend makes Latex weponry for LARP (Live Action Role Play) and we've asked him to make us a pair of bone swords using UV Blue and Red latex as the covering. (although we're still waiting! bloody artists! wink )

Bone swords are kinda like broad swords in length and ballance but are curved almost like a scimitar / tribal tattoo design, imagine H.R. Geiger's style used to design weponry! biggrin

Admitedly these won't glow by themselves but under UV lighting in a club they should look fantastic.

The big advantage is they are ballanced correctly for weapons, I've had a go on a prototype, and you can spin it as easily as you would a staff or club, (although the contact stuff doesn't work too well frown ) and accidentally hitting someone doesn't matter, their soft latex (around a wooden core) so even if you battered someone for hours the worse their likely to get is a slight red patch on the skin and maybe a headache. smile

We were thinking how cool it would be to dress up Jedi/Sith style, wander into a club and split up, basically hunt each other around the venue. every time you meet up, have a quick "battle" under the UV then split off and run away again.

would look cool, and certainly confuse a fair few people...
Probably have to clear it with the boucers first tho! wink

PsyB.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I've got an idea. Go to your local Plastics company and ask if thay have any big pieces of scrap sheet acrylic. If you can find a good thick piece wide enough to make a sword your off to a good start. Carve the acrylic in to a sword shape and score the entire thing to make it clowdy (sand paper). At the bottom make the handle out of metal with the guard reenforcing the acrylic. Add a flashlight to the handle pointing up through the sword. The whole thing should light up like one big fiber optic. I think it should be tough enough for some fighting, but it has to be choreographed the swords will be heavy. The acrylic is tough, just make sure the hits are blade to blade. Add different Jels (plastic colored sheets for lighting) to the flashlight fof different colored blades. I know this worked for a small sword (sting) for a local production of the Hobit. Good luck smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

general spinmember
52 posts

Posted:
cool, i want some, theres a company called www.surelight.com in England that make the el wire stuff, I want to make some sabres too, the attack of the clones sucked as far as jedi skills was concerned.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I've just got 2m of superbright EL wire from surelight, with a little battery powered invertor that I'm going to take apart and mount in a staff - I'll let you know how it goes.

Talking about lightsabres, I just came across Park Sabers who do some quite nice looking EL sabers, for about half the price of aerotech staffs. They're probably less practical, but they do look pretty nice.

monkeys ate my brain

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
My brother had a glow sword for a while, then I broke it hitting him with it... it looked somewhat like this:

Non-Https Image Link

but his was blue... until it died.
I have no luck with swords, we almost got arrested when my friend pulled his blunt tai chi sword out of his boot infront of lots of cop cars. spank
Not in the ideal location either - in convoy on way to a party spank

Good luck!

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I had one of those!! I got it at Disney world, then went on a mass killing spree. The duck had ta go....

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Interesting... My design involved glo-stix with crafty adaptation (will have to dig out plans); But haven't had time to seek out raw materials. However will have a chance over the next 4 months when exam cack is out the way and elective is over, so more to follow.. However I'm liking Mark1's design. How heavy was it? Good web site that... Soooo many ideas ubbidea

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
dunno if it helps any of you lot but i'm pretty sure you can buy 15" glo sticks or maybe even bigger...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

BrynSILVER Member
68 posts

Posted:
That sounds pretty cool, you got any pics? weavesmiley

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
dunno if this is real or not i just heard about it
apparently for about 5,000 dollars you can get an ACTUAL lightsaber that does cut
seems its some sort of plasma welder w\a 3 foot blade........if anybody actually welds i think you know what im talking about when i say a plasma torch..its like that but long..and i mean long...just wondering if this whole rumor would be bullshit or not it seems improbable but who know....if you can get one...OMG TELL ME WHERE!!!! ubbloco itd be one hell of a prop! and i wouldnt have to use scissors to cut kevlar anymore lol i could use the plasma spank
if anybody finds anything do tell....

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

342 posts

Posted:
my saber was a little bulky, it ran off 2nine volt batteries in parallel and weighed about 7-10 lbs umm, it is now in my neighbor's posession, as he's the real sword spinner. there are pics, i cant remember the link, but my old site, (look for my post on wallpapers has some. they're really dim if you view them on a crt

tigercubjourneyman
57 posts

Posted:
this would be expensive but why not use a glow staff from the shop and just add a grip to the end ?

just me, my lighter and a lifes supply of paraffin

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking of doing that..That would look really cool if it was done right.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Oh, I forgot to add- Neonhusky tells me that they're working on a prototype glowing sword similar to their clear staffs that you fill with streetlights.

Or maybe whoever does the HOP glowstaffs might be interested in making a "sword".

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

Lepreconnewbie
1 post

Posted:
I don't know if anyone has had an idea of it before but it just came to my head then to try and make a Glowing Sword somehow. If anybody has had this idea and actually tried it please tell me how it went.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I tried! And it's going well!

"Glowing Swords" is my life!

I hope you will like it too one day!

Check it out my friend! www.myspace.com/glowingswords

P.S.

Be force with you! welcome

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
yeah go look
........or don't bother at all unless you like crap rock shizznit!
rolleyes

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Glowing swords?

I think I'd need a level 40 enchanter for that.
ubblol

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've considered re-working my hyperlights to fit into a stick on numerous occassions.. now if I can just finish the poi, I'll get cracking on this wink

Cake or Death?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
And the hoops after sticks I assume? wink

Like evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons.

ubbrollsmile

_Chris_GOLD Member
93 posts

Posted:
i want to get one of these. u cant beat lightsabers!!

https://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchty...=46&go.y=13

Order and pyromancie as one, controlling chaos.
4 8 15 16 23 42

Page: