Page:
for_my_name_is_shanemember
21 posts

Posted:
Wasup
Iv started fire twirling i do poi but i wonna learn swords. One night i was thinking wat about fire and the sledghammer i was holding and then it hit me fire hammer. get a sledghammer and wrap the head in wick. You would have to be strong but it would look good. and you could wrap alot of wick around the end and make sorta a spung of wick and when u hot the ground a big ball of fire would come up. tell me wat u think. c ya

You're just jealous becouse the voices are talking to me.

Lasa'nta Dubh Mac Tiremember
51 posts

Posted:
Rockin' sounds nifta! i'd try it

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Good thinking!
Now you mention it, you could have lots of weapons wicked spears tridents maces arrows(only bow's seem like a problem ).

MaskNmember
14 posts

Posted:
HEY! cool when you do that post pics good luck

--MaskN--

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Interesting.

How about having a fuel reservoir in the head so that if you decide to start bashing the ground, you get huge fire balls at the point of impact?

weapon of the gods, methinks.
!!!Vulcan's Hammer!!!

MaskNmember
14 posts

Posted:
squarefish......nice idea that would be sweet

--MaskN--

21 posts

Posted:
fully good idea squarefish thanx

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Great idea. Remember you want to hold on to the thing. How long are you going to make the handel? Be careful with a reservoir, especially white gass (coleman fuel) make sure it has room for fumes to escape. Burn good, explosion bad.

Go get em Thor

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
ok but how are you going to be able to hold that weight
if i remember right a full size sledgehammer
weighs close to 12 lbs
.........itd be like spinnin 5 or 6 of those 4inch monkies full of fuel on each hand....at least...

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
I personally would use a wood-axe hand wrapped in cute soda cans then taped over with electrical tape (flame retardent) with a thick pipe on the end with some sort of filler then wrap the pipe end with wick... jus a though

And where I go the flame shall follow. Be warmed by my outward souls flare and may it guide you through darkened paths.

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
That's kind of a nifty Idea... but sledgey's only weigh about 8 or 9lbs, perhaps if you factored in the feul, and wick you might get 10 or 12... i'm not totally sure. I think it'd look kinda cool if you can manage to get momentum up, but you wouldn't be able to get any very intricate moves in with it due to it's sheer weight.
But it'd be really neat to do a weapon demonstration with a flaming maul, or warhammer, so I suppose you could do the same with an inferno sledgy. Kudos on the good idea, but be vewwy vewwy caweful with it.

A feeling that sears my soul,One that burns my mindIt grips my heartAnd breaks my bodyNot madnessOr fearBut one of warmthFor my essenceHas been preservedWithin the golden sanctionOf your heartInsanityDarkness Embrace

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I think you could do this... forget about the weight though... take a sledge handle, or a hatchet handle and wrap the top half in kevlar to protect it (if its wooden) then mount a Cathedral Wick horizontally on the top of it... if your planning on making hits with it then use Kevlar Thread to secure the Shape of the Wick, attaching the wick to the handle would be the hard part, but because there is no weight in it the thing would be significantly lighter and i'd imagine if you hit it on the ground, assuming you secure the shape of the wick with the thread instead of a screw straight down the center, it'd give off a blast of fire.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

21 posts

Posted:
but thats the thing i like doing whights and fire. im big i think i could do it. im a boxer and i recon i could twirl it around.

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
That's a good idea Dark... but the thing is, that if you were to do the fire hammer idea, I'd think that you would use the weight to your advantage, much as swordsmen do when they're using greatswords. They kind of heft the sword up, and let it's momentum take it where they need it to go. With a weightless hammer you wouldn't get the same effect as you would with something that weighs 12 lbs on one end. Plus you'd have to counterbalance the wick because the metal handle... or wooden as the case may be has a chance of being heavier thent he wick itself, and that would kind of ruin the whole idea.

A feeling that sears my soul,One that burns my mindIt grips my heartAnd breaks my bodyNot madnessOr fearBut one of warmthFor my essenceHas been preservedWithin the golden sanctionOf your heartInsanityDarkness Embrace

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
hey thats kinda innacurate
ive trained w\ a variety of medieval weapons and broadswords arent just a weight that you through around
ive also used a claymore and a 2 handed bastard sword....anyways
that only works because of leverage
one hand is right before the guard and the other is at the pommel you create a lever that way
kinda like a see saw if you want a mental image...
so that way you can control it
try swingin a 30lb lead pipe with your hands together...you cant recover from it...with your hands apart you just follow through and its easy

prizes

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
Well I know how swords and archaic...(sp) weapons work, and how to use them...but what I was saying is that with a very large, unweildly sword, you do in a sence use the sword's own weight to help you recover, by allowing it's momentum to carry it back to it's postion... If you're in the postition to swing it the whole way round, if not, then yes you would use your hands as a sort of lever. But where this is a preforming type of style, it's more decorative, and you'd want to have that spinning effect with the hammer. To achive it you would heft the weight of the hammer in the direction that you want it to go initially, and guided it with your own strength. You would then use hand movements to spin the hammer back around etc, and if need be then you would swing it like a sword to get it going. Not to be arguementative or anything, I'm just saying how i would think that it would work... when father's not home i'll take one of my sledgys from the garage and toss it around, and see how it works, i'll post again once i've done this.

Fire Djinnmember
12 posts

Posted:
Throwing Axes would be cool, if you added fire, but the sledge hammer idea is an awsome thought... Hope you put it in to action soon, the pics would be sweet.

Stupid Fat Hobbit!,Keep your nasty chips; wreaking nice fish..... Give it to us raw and wriggling.

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I had thought of something similar but much lighter. Its just pole with cathedral wicks attatched to either side of one end. soak it up and spin it.

Always Beautiful

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
Alrighty folks, now that I've checked the physics of this toy, it is time for my commentary.

I must say, it is quite an exillerating feeling to spin something as heavy as a sledgy around, because the sheer weight of it kind of throws you allong with it, so you can get some really cool full body spins in with it. Also, regarding the debate between Darkpoet and I, I believe that he and I are both in a sence right, and it would be unfair to say that either of us were wrong. Due to the fact that as was stated by Darkpoet, you do need to use the postitioning of your arms for leverage, otherwise it's near impossible to spin something so heavy. In respect to my comment, you also, to get the full effect of spinning a giant hammer around, need to use the momentum that you build up by guiding the hammer through the air, that way it's easier on you, and you can spin it faster. You can't do many things that are like a staff with it because it's not balanced, obviously, i don't think that one needed much explaining. But you can get a really nifty weave style thing going on, it just requires a lot of switching hands, and spinning the hammer as if it were on some sort of axis. But I think mostly what will happen is that you will end up just spinning the hammer around yourself, maybe throwing in a few beats of weave, and hitting the ground with it to get the thump effect. It's gunna be a fun toy to play around with, and I definatly plan on it. More commentary will be posted once I have practiced it and polished the technique a bit.

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
Also, sorry for the double post, but I think that some safety issues should be discussed. Mostly watch the head and joints, never spin a sledgy when you're physically, or mentally tired, no matter how relaxing you find it, or how good you are with it, being physically tired can be cause for a lot of pain, and crushed things, be it your bones, someone elses, or a window. Also, keep a firm grip on the handle at all times, you don't want that sucker to fly out of your grip and kill someone, or break something. Watch the knees especially, because they are the easiest part of your body to hit, just due to the physics of spinning something like a sledgy. All spectators should keep their distance, in the event that something should happen... it could be messy. Don't even bother trieing to spin two at once, you can't do it, and i don't care how strong you are. Always, and I stress the ALWAYS stretch out before you spin a hammer, it's heavy enough that it can cause you to hyper extend, or rip / tear muscles, tendons, and ligaments, even snap bones with over rotation. If you're not overly physically strong, but want to still spin a sledgy, you should wear elbow, and wrist braces/bracers, not only do bracers for your wrists look cool, but they keep you from hyper extending, and/or beaking your wrists, same with elbow braces, they help to keep you from hyper extending and breaking your elbows, which trust me, you don't want to break.

I think that about covers all of the standart safety issues of a sledgy, otherwise if you're using fire, try and find a handle that isn't wooden, or plastic due to burning, and melting issues, otherwise i'd think that you should be good just following the basic fire safety rules posted on this site.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Just the other day I was playing with a small sledge mallet at work and thinking about its potential as a fire toy. It has some possibilities but overall, I figured fire clubs would be just about the same. I was thinking of the possibilities of a large two handed fire axe... Maybe double edged. Using momentum and whatnot, ya can do quite a bit with a long pole weighted on one end.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I hear that, and that's why polearms, and such are so bloody dangerious. I LOVE THEM!!! lol I was playing with my sledgy again today... i think it'll be a while till i get this thing on fire, but i think I may strap some glowsticks on it tonight and try that out. Considering i think my neighbour wants a demonstration, so we'll see what happens. If I do end up donig "glohammer" tonight, i'll post afterwords. But I can't stress enough to anyone who wants to pick this up... be careful, really careful, especially of the knees. I almost clipped myself in the left knee today doing as much of a weave as you can do with a sledgy, so just make sure you don't take things too fast. If you want moves for a hammer, and you have an X-box/gamecube/PS2 rent, or buy soul calibur 2 and play around with Nightmare, and Astaroth, both of them use a style that's similar to the type that I've been using for the sledgy. Nightmare is a better example though, considering he's more human sized then Asteroth, even if he does use a greatsword, and Asteroth uses a giant ax, or a warhammer....

And remember, be careful, have fun, and spin on!

Briggymember
18 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a wicked idea man, doubt i got the strength to weild a 12lb sledge around thou, so ill leave it to you and let you post the pics.
Closest i came was strapping some wick on this old metal baseball bat i own. really interesting the way the momentum carrys it around, I find if you can keep it at the right speed, its almost effortless on your part. Although keeping a baseball bat from spining faster than I wanted it to was a challenge. Needless to say i went back to the staff LOL

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
insanity.....methinks youd really really really enjoy using a weapon called a.....forgot the name....its a staff w\a scimitar on the top...its me specialty...i love that thing...

prizes

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
before he posts i can garentee you he will... won'tcha dave?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Briggymember
18 posts

Posted:
umm called a Halberd aint it?
Dave, you the Dave that went to Koh Chang in Thailand about a year ago?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Just got another idea in work today along these lines. Fire sickle and scythe! The curved shape of the blades would make for some cool lookin toys. Sickles would of course be the 1 handed version and scythes would be the two handers.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
Well, it's not a halberd, but it is a polearm of sorts kind of, and Nick j00 is correkt! I would love that, I think i might end up making something like that in a while, probably next month. A what? 6' long steel pole with a weight on the end... or a blade if I can manage to get one. And as for the Scythe and Sickle idea, good idea, I was thinking about the plausibilities of that yesterday after I got in from spinning my hammer. Unfortunatly I have no way to get my hands on a scythe.

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
I HAVE A VIDEO OF SLEDGY NOW!!! took it the other day when I was practesing... It's not overly good, but if you want it, add me to your msn list ( thefish@accesswave.ca ), I kinda have no site to put it on. Also there's a couple sloppy little things I did but that's okay, i'm still working on the fluency with that much weight.

[ 13. October 2003, 03:46: Message edited by: Insanity ]

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
hehehehehe
thought you were talking about a sledge head on chains...so like a poi sledge....tee hee
or meteors w\sledgehammer ends and thats just insane.....ill use those big monkeyfists or (modified) double wicks w\an extra 2 heads on each string.....but yeah.....just a bit of confusion

prizes

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
LMFAO, nonono, I meant a real sledge hammer

Page: