Forums > Other Toys > Three Section Staff anyone?

Login/Join to Participate

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
Heres how it goes people:

After seeing Bender on COL4 (and lifting my jaw off the floor ) I pledged to make a three section fire staff and train insanely with it until I could perform without flaw (well... with less chance of a flaw... nobody's perfect! ) I was wondering if anybody had any fun lists of moves or some advice on how to kick it up a notch! Thanks!!

I've only smacked myself once with the crazy thing too! My poor nose..

And where I go the flame shall follow. Be warmed by my outward souls flare and may it guide you through darkened paths.

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Just yesterday I was watching amovie that had three section staff in it, my first time seeing it in action i guess. Where would one put the wicks?

P*L*U*R

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
..you put the wicks on photos, of course!

Non-Https Image Link

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
Yeah.. now that I look at those pictures I need to add some chain between each sanguon.. only a couple lengths though ...

And where I go the flame shall follow. Be warmed by my outward souls flare and may it guide you through darkened paths.

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Correct:

Non-Https Image Link

The one on the left is the real thing made of walnut and chain. The one on the right is made of aluminum and 360 swivels and three feet of kevlar on each end. (That's the one for fire.)
It works pretty good...

peacefully yours,
Maximus Ego

[ 23. September 2003, 13:25: Message edited by: Maximus ]

Axenewbie
28 posts

Posted:
Sounds good, I may have to try it . Will probably do myself some serious damage when I do, but hey

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
360 swivels!? oh mercy... I had never even dreamt of such a thing. Hmmmmmmm :run to the workshop:

Lasa'nta Dubh Mac Tiremember
51 posts

Posted:
Ok drool? now thats one sweet toy ~nod nods~ must try....

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

6,978 posts

Posted:
just remember to respect it.
some toys get angrier than others when you don't.

btw, maximus's 3sections are the correct dimensions, and it is for those that the low groundwork and lightning fast wushu movements were developed for. My fire ones be too heavy/thick to perform those intricate movements.

it may be worth a helmet

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I sometimes do wear a helmet with face mask when working on new moves with the 3 section. A pair of heavy duty knee pads and shin gear would not be excessive at all either. This is one of the most challenging fire toys I have ever worked with. It ranks up there with meteor hammer.

Safety first,
Maximus Ego

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
ive been wanting to make a 3 section for a while now. my intrest has once again been rekindled! i need a new challenge...i though my poi staff was pretty chalenging but i need something new...

(runs to get credit card to order kevlar .... )

Power percieved is power achieved.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Only as bad as Metior Hammer! Ill have to give it a go then!

I was gonna take up 3 section last summer, but found that metiors were easier to make.

so, three section next summer I recon.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Well you peaked my interest and I pick up a 3 section staff.... Now what? I need some cool moves to start working on.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
https://www.wushucentral.com

-><- Kallisti

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Woo hoo! Thanks man, just what I've been lookin for.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
np

-><- Kallisti

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ive just found a bit of flim of me as a zombie doing a 3bt f/d weave if you wanna c, its not great cos the staff is slightly bent abd broken, so its herd to contol properly, but you can have a look if you like?

does anyone know a good uk based shop were i can bu ya new one?

Step (el-nombrie)

Biale_koniemember
21 posts

Posted:
three section staff is one of kung fu wepons
serch in web for some "wepon kung fu movies".

Each man, one weight;Each horse, one stand;Each church, one border;Each master to his own technique.

6,978 posts

Posted:
you could also search for it by
name of the martial art: wushuweapon categorisation: flexible weaponenglish interpretation of the (cantonese?) chinese name: samjitgwanaffectionate nicknames: Hurty I & II
some also refer to it as a three section cudgel or three sectional staff too, depending on interpretation and weather patterns.
it is not to be confused with:
small sweeper/nunchaku - only two sections; short.big sweeper/two section staff - one end is very long; the other short.three section whip - has three metal sections and a fourth 'handle' section.seven, nine section chain whip - can have more sections; structurally dissimilar; a true 'flexible weapon'
also, if your search is on HoP, an discussion of it was had last year too. it be here

lastly, there is alot of myths about the origins of this versatile weapon, myths that seem 'romantic' to wushu nuts like me - it would be worth your while to read about them while you're there....

(i like trailing off my posts with a liberal sprinkling of dots.......)

firetwirl_netmember
10 posts

Posted:
i have a fire three sec (suicide staf)
its just like any other fire toy u have
is to play with it and enjoy and respect it

there is heeps to do but hard to explain
in wrighting
maby u can find books on it at ur local martial arts suplier

learn to experiment

michael

To love fire is to be fire

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i got a foam one from here under the weapons section, in the rubber sub section.
they have a hard plastic core, with an outside layer of foam. the foam is very similar to pvc insulation foam available from hardware stores, could be a good adition to learn with. they have the 360 degree swivels and hurt alot less.
doing low moves is a workout, and going at high speeds is scarey.
treat it with respect, get hurt less
cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
I love my padded three sectional but am still learning how to use it - so far I do staff moves with it - butr agreeing with everyone else fun but to be respected smile, A friend of mine brought it at the croydon market in melb - i thin k they sold wooden katanas there too if interested

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
3 sectioned staffs are alot of fun heres my baby

Non-Https Image Link

i recon the fire ones are less painfull that the proper ones the wicks act like padding
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1111581922)

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
sexy

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*