Forums > Other Toys > Making Fire Devil Sticks

Login/Join to Participate

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever made their own set of Fire Devilsticks from scratch? I'd like to make a pair, but i want the first set to be ideal, none of that experimentation

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Leatherbloodmember
11 posts

Posted:
we will be using wooden dowl with rubber grip in the middle and metal pipe,copper?with caps over the ends. Wrap the wick around the tube and screw through to the dowl. We will be building in three days will report findings then

bones heal and chicks dig scars

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Awesome, next time i'm up at the hardware store i might have to take a look at some tubing

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
So, I tried to make fire devilsticks for Hop Day, and while I was successful, I was not satified with the results. Though it was something i threw together the night before. Copper Pipe with friction tape on the middle and kevlar wicks on the ends... It was crap... i'm gonna go looking for a dowel asap. Anyone else have any suggestions...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
A friend gave my girfriend a set he make for her birthday. He used wooden dowel, with cut up strips of bicycle tube wrapped around it (semi tightly) with what couldn't been lids at the ends. The handles made the same way thought the part you hold seen to have been made thicker with some kind of foam and tape.... The end has floew stick finish with neon coloured strips of material. They're pretty cool. I'd suggest looking on other sites related to DS or on the DS yahoo groups to find more info....

hope that helps

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Kyttenmember
21 posts

Posted:
What is a Fire Devil Stick????
Sorry i'm new to spinning I only know poi staff and beamers, I'm blonde frown

You bastard!

gsv-sleeper-servicemember
62 posts

Posted:
this is seth doing some fire devilsticks

Non-Https Image Link

you can also find a really good tutorial on devil sticks from here howto devilstick

and some nice tricks from HERE
peace Owen

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...

Leatherbloodmember
11 posts

Posted:
I used poplar-wood dowel with rubber roofing as a wrap,tire innertube or something else may do,attached wick to short piece of copper tube,3/4"dia.then I had to grind wall mounts for black metal pipe,like for gas lines or such,due to the heavy weight.Using a male-female adapter screw the wick holder into the wall mount and slide it onto the dowel.Had to sand the ends a little to get it started on.Tap hammer it far enough on to be able to shoot screws through copper to hold it on.Wall mount keeps fire off of middle of stick and allows for less soot build up.Personally I refer to this a fire flowerstick due to linear surface area,but whats in a name. wave

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
or, you could buy the fire devil sticks from the HoP shophere

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
ive seen some excelent fire devil sticks that were bassically standard superflights with wicks replacing the cups at the end. although im not sure if a new dowl was used, and if not im now sure how the fire would effect the fiberglass.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

Leatherbloodmember
11 posts

Posted:
cost for making a solid set like I have described is around 25dollars,u.s.Time involved is around 4-5 hours,unless you have access to a fab. shop and a really boss set of tools you could cut it down a couple of hours.The pre-built ones I have tried weighed less than a pound.Mine weigh around 3andhalf,and are longer.With the added weight and length slower moves are easier and my contact stuff has moved to an almost short staff type thingie.Working the devilstick for about 12 years now is the only reason for me to fab. my own,other wise I would definatley suggest buying one from HOP. ubbloco