DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Well I'm going to be performing with a friend in 2 weeks and she's trying to get me to make fire fingers so we can both use them....but erm. I don't like them that much and I especially don't think they suit my style of dancing. At risk of sounding stoopid, I think

girls + fingers = good
boys + fingers = silly

Am I right/wrong/alone? Should I stand up for what I believe and flatly refuse?
Help!!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
can see what you mean- in that they can look majorly sexy on a girl (in my humble opinion).
however this does not necessarily rule out hte possibility of them looking ultra cool on a dude...
its what you do with it that counts...

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you only have two weeks to make them and sort out some kind of routine with them (when you already don't think they suit your style too much)?

sounds to me like you'd be best off leaving them out of this performance even if you did want to use them...

get yourself a torch and some flame retardent gel. then you can do that contact fire thing and wow the audience by pretending to burn your forearms and chest.
i think that's what all the cool fireperformer blokes do while the girls use firefingers anyway...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
at the risk of sounding thick, what exactly are fire fingers?

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
like fingers but with fire on the end

Non-Https Image Link

voila.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Ahh that makes sense

They look cool!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
First off, I could not agree more with the fact that if you are not comfortable using them then you should not even try to perform with them until you have gotten comfortable.

However, if you don't like them, don't use them.

I don't think it has anything to do with sexes either. I think they are just a waste of kevlar and metal that could go to make a better tool. I am very female and I really can not stand fire fingers. Anything that can be done with them, and much more, can be done with fans, so I see them as pointless. Not to metion the weight of them feels wrong on my hands altogher, and if they are small enough to do fire eating, then they are not large enough to be impressive for anything else.

Pick a nice set of torches and do something cool with them. It will go along way if you are comfortable in what you are doing instead of feeling like you look silly.
Cheers for you for wanting to stand up for yourself!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Here's an example of double wicking on fingers:

Non-Https Image Link

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I think I knew I wasn't gunna used them, I wouldn't know what to do with the things. Guess I wanted to see what other people thought of them....

Thanks for the support
J

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd have to agree with Pele and others - I've yet to see anyone use fire fingers without looking, IMHO, daft.

It's one of the few toys I really can't see the point of...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
couldn't disagree more durbs and pele...

they are a dancers toy, male and female, and pele you should know that fire-eating can be done on large wicks.....

i can do acrobatics with fingers on, something i definitely could not do with any fire fan i have ever seen.... so...

random 2 cents there...

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
yeah I've got to agree with bluecat - I just love my fire fingers (pics in my gallery folder), and I've had the most wonderful comments from, audiences, when they watch me dance in fire fingers, about how lovely they are, and how mesmerising they are

and there are certainly a few things I do with fire fingers that I couldn't do with fire fans

I actually don't get the point of rigid fire fans - bendy ones - sure, but fixed fire fans just seem to be a flasher fixed version of fire fingers - but that's me, on the wrong end of the stick again

it's not the size of your wicks that counts, it's what you do with them

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Bluecat, I never said you couldn't fire eat big wicks. I said that the size of wick it takes for me to feel that fire fingers are worth it are not at all reasonable for fire eating, or any other close proximity fire to be controllable. The wicks that to me would make fire fingers worth it can not be eaten with, as I only know one person whose mouth can fit a 4" Cathedral wick 6" long. And those were atop fire fingers, and it is the only time I have ever seen fire fingers where it looked impressive, mainly because all 5 fingers blended together. But they were so off balance not much can be done with them. Smaller than that and it is not worth it on fingers. They are a pain to put on and take off, take too long to transition between tools and are limiting in movement because they are stuck to your hand.

I have seen beautiful dancers use them and I would've been happier watching the dancers without the fire. Their presentation was lost because the fire was a distraction. Floreo's with fire lose the nuance of the floreo. Fans used in dance are very pretty because they are meant to be a focal point, I don't see fingers as that way at all. And acrobatics can be done with fans bluecat, actually, a bit easier than they can be done with poi because you don't have to worry about swinging them out of the way.

These are one of those tools that people either love or hate. I have tried them, I am in the latter category and those are my reasons. It doesn't matter because it is moot, no one is right or wrong, it is opinion. The point of the matter is that DSS doesn't like them, is not comfortable with them and so therefore should not perform ANYTHING (fire fingers or otherwise) that he is not comfortable with.

*shrug*

Pele

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I agree.

Rigid fans seem a little limiting .... folding fans are more versatile methinks

So much fire, so little body hair...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Zoltar:
I agree.

folding fans are more versatile methinks

I could not agree more with this, though finding locking folding fans for fire is difficult. Designs are made and being tested, but none seem to really hold up to alot of open and close rigors. And the one set that I did see had only been tested without wicks, so when wicks were applied they banged together and made the open to close transition less smoothe. Ones that do not lock require hands to keep them spread which is, again, limiting. I like doing tosses and such with fans. These are not possible with non-locking folding ones nor is it possible with finger.

DSS...what did you decide to use?

Pele

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Probably a stupid question but, can you liquid dance with fire fingers, and would it look either bit good?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure yet, we're meeting tonight to go through what we're going to do. I've plenty to play with without having to go near either fingers or fans though me thinks.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
just out of interest do y'll mean finger attachments or gloves with finger attachments...?

cause we use gloves and they make life muuuch easier....

not disagreeing pele... it all comes down to personal preference as you say

good luck with show mr sheep
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Fire_Freak_Burnernewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Hum well – guys and fingers is tough. I think it would have to be creepy or have some type of marshal arts tied to it for him to pull it off. Maybe interaction of a guy and girl using fingers could be interesting. Check out these fingers. They are not very girlie.
https://fire.trickconcepts.com/tcf-006-06.htm

~F

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fire_Freak_Burner

Hum well – guys and fingers is tough. I think it would have to be creepy or have some type of marshal arts tied to it for him to pull it off. Maybe interaction of a guy and girl using fingers could be interesting. Check out these fingers. They are not very girlie.
https://fire.trickconcepts.com/tcf-006-06.htm

~F

The last post before you was 2003....
I think that the performance Solas was going to be in has loooong gone.