Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Best ones to get or make?
How do you feel is the best way to get up on them? I have learned a few ways but want opinions on the safest.
Any other advice is appreciated!

Hugs to all!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
quote:
NYC, are you missing the point? You just asked for specific things to keep you upright,
No I didn't. You are answering questions I didn't ask and then accusing me of missing points.

Now at least it makes sense why you've been saying the things you've been saying and I'm less offended. But I didn't ask that.

This entire thread I've been asking for only instructions or information on how to fall down properly without hurting my knees. Everything has been in the context of falling and my knees. Others have stretched it to include fire, small children, and me "burning down night clubs and killing hoardes of people"...

I'm chill, but perhaps those addressing me as "Dangerous" and potentially responsible for "Killing Hoardes of People" should reread my posts. I take accuations of that nature seriously as should anyone.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i use, exclusively, skateboarding kneepads. they are designed for just this purpose, falling in a high impact situation and not being worried. any others would be foolish in my opinion, especially volleyball ones that had no plastic cover to distribute the force. skateboard pads have more padding and big slabs of high impact plastic to boot.
and as far as i know, both fall methods work fine for shorter stilts, less than 4 feet, just use the one that you are able to use in the actual fall. to add to maximus' roll, if there is noone around, it REALLY helps to continue the roll by kicking the feet of your stilts up into the air after your lower body makes the initial impact... since your center of gravity is different, throwing the stilts into the air allows you to continue the roll into your shoulders and such much more effectively. if you are near people or fire performers, using the bending backwards method is safer so you don't kick somebody. but i [edit]_wouldn't_ do that lean method for really tall stilts. i would use the combination, bend backwards to slow the fall and then roll and kick the feet up. and pray.

[ 10. September 2003, 01:04: Message edited by: arashi ]

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
quote:
But, I think i might be in danger of just making a stupid point instead of contributing to this thread any longer.

You are still a talented and wonderful peson, NYC, and i'm a stupid git...

I'm sorry!!!!!

It was meant as a joke, and taken completely out of context, hence the joke, and I know i am pendantic ans silly at times.

Oh, and I'm a stupid git too!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
NP Charles. And a big thank you to Arashi. Your skateboarding kneepad arguement makes perfect sense about distributing the impact.

Pele, you had mentioned another website in which this is discussed and I've been begging for more information. Is there any way you can post that website?

Also, if anyone has any other safety information on the web that they are not withholding, I'd love to see it.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Here's a photo of me doing a valley drop (or sidefall) on concrete. Both hands slap the ground. You bend your knees as you go down, and stretch out as you start hitting the ground. Head is tucked out of the way. Like arashi says, the left foot is lifted to counterweight the impact (this is also a foot sweep in judo).

Non-Https Image Link

If I were falling backward or forward, I would twist into this sidefall.
I also use skateboard like knee pads used in street hockey. I think those hip pads they wear in ice hockey would also be good, as I banged my hip pretty badly when I hit terra firma.
One of the guys I saw on powerskips was completely tricked out with a crash helmet, wrist-, elbow-, and kneepads, and a six foot long safety pole. He was also running at full speed. Amazing.

Maximus Ego

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I was just wondering if anybodie knew how to walk up stairs and stuff (if it's possible ?). I can do slow inclines and declines .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yup. recently at a show i had to walk up this HUGE flight of steps, just so i could go dance in the blazing hot texas sun. for free. yeeehaa.

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Stairs are totally possible, just watch your footing, and make sure that your stilt bottom fits on the step (heard tales of tumbles from them).
Adding to this.....
I was taught to not twist on the way down because it can actually create more problems, by crossing the stilts and then creating more damage as far as a lack of mobility of the bottom half, thus creating more pressure on hips, arms and back. The one thing you want when falling from stilts is free mobility of the lower half. The valley drop works for both sides and even forward because the twist is not so severe. The important thing to remember is that you do not land on your shoulder squarely but rather land just on the back side of it and keep the momentum rolling until flat on your back. Square on your shoulder does damage, and can potentially hurt the spine. I was also taught that any impact on wrists, elbows and knees should be avoided if possible.
Sit-tuck-fall back and slap is how I was taught for the fall back. When you feel you are going to go, kind of "sit" to slow the momentum, tuck your head so that it doesn't hit then when you are about to land straighten out the legs a bit so that the thighs absorb the impact and continue to roll backwards, again, to even out impact. My closest visual for this is watching a newly walking youngin' as s/he tries to sit, they squat then straighten (though they do not have as far to go).

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Agreed. Stairs are extremely tough on stilts.
I did one show that had a handrail on the stage steps and I grabbed it and did okay. Another time the steps were too small for my platform stilts and I couldn't make it up even two steps. I ended up using a volunteer "ground clown" from the audience who saw my plight and came over and let me grab him about the neck and shoulders and haul myself up onto the stage.
I really liked using safety poles on the uneven surface of the Playa. Our safety poles had cardboard feet on the bottom of them and were covered with fabric. We walked on all fours like giraffes. Maybe having one (or two) safety poles on hand just for stairs and such might be another good idea for stilter safety.

peace,
Maximus Ego

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
If I approach stairs, sort of side on, it seems to work - I don't go up or down them facing them directly....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Still curious as to what that clown site was Pele... Please post the link.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i have to disagree with quite a lot of this thread so far.

right, yes, safty first and all that, most of the safty advise is good so far give or take the aguments going on about the correct way to fall.

if a fall is un-avoidable then there needs to be at least one safer method to follow, i have tried the knee first back straight method and i have also tried the breakfall as shown in maximus's photo, both work but from a hight of just 30+inchs the side fall kinda hurts the hips just a little and if i was to fall i'd take the knee method any day, touch wood that that never arises in my career.

right! at the end of the day, we stilt walk, its that simple and accidents can happen, end off, wear the knee pads just incase, ****it go for the full bmx type body armour complete with crash helmet if you really need it.

I have been in so many awkward stilt walking situations but some very interesting situations too. If your performing in a crowded nightclub and you trip on a discarded bottle, you have people around you for support dont you, your in a nightclub and feeling a little nervous, allways walk near hand rails!, if your in a forest in the middle of nowhere, your on your own there is your basic differences in where you could be stilt walking.
stilt walking will never be safe because if you ever fall you are going to get instant or long term injuries argue about falling techniques and methods, they wont change the fact, just be safe and try and take preventions to at least make any sustained injuries minor not get you legs aputated because you tripped running behind a car with a banana taped to the back of it and your in a daft monkey costume.

What about doing a 4 legged stilt costume? there you go, answers the question, not much chance of falling over!.

i dont really know how far this thread is going to continue.

NYC in my honest opinion, stilt walking with dura-stilts are about the safest you will feel stiltwalking, they are probably the best investment i have made so far, i have never fallen yet or had an accident in my career as a performer, if you really want my opinion, you've tried them, you liked them, you want them.... go get them, we all had to learn to stilt walk at some point just like we still learn to do a new poi trick, just take a good length of time to practice and get used to them, i put mine on to try out a new costume for a massive gig tommorrow night and they felt just like part of my legs and i havnt worn them for 2 months.
thats all i can really say to you mate.

a few points about any stilt walking in costume and such is to make sure you can see the ground and your imediate surroundings.
check your stilts over before every use, making sure the straps work ok, all the bolts are tightened properly, all of your safty gear is in good condition and not going to fall apart if you do fall.
make sure clothing is good and cant trip you up!!!.
make sure you can stilt walk and be safe doing it in the environment that your about to go stilt walking in.
make sure others around you know you are there.
be awear that drunk people think it is funny to try and GET YOU OFF your stilts.
if stilt walking in a club have a member of door staff watch you in the venue [one of my policies if working in a club], if not in a club have a safty person at hand keeping an eye on you.
make sure you have relevant public lib insurance to cover you for stilt walking, if you are doing it and getting paid because some one hired you.
just be safe as possible and take all the safty precausions you can, inevitably if you fall, you could give your self some kind of injury! it's really up to you.

be kewl and remember nyc i love you knees or no knees. atleast with no knees the stilt walking paid off, just get them to replace what were your legs with the stilts.... lol just kidding.

oh and formal hop appology for not getting round to this post sooner, been mad busy getting things together for this gig tommorrow.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
wow i feel like pele, that post was ****ing massive! haha

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Ade- I agree with you about stairs: kind of going up them at a 45 degree angle and taking them one at a time is easier than trying to just march up them straight on.
And everybody-- I agree that the sidefall does bang the hip up pretty badly. My hip is still sore from the fall I took a week ago at BM. It may not be the best way to fall from stilts.

humbly yours,
Maximus Ego

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
cant say i have ever had any problems with going up or down stairs.

the more you fear them the worst you will get.

if you are using dura-stilts, make the stilts work not you, they have damn springs in them for a start, you can feel in your feet what the stilts are doing and how safe you are about transfering you weight from one leg to another.

it all feels real scary when some one asks you to go up or down a flight of stairs, but my main advise is to wear very thin trainer shoes, so that you can feel, thus making things seem a little lighter too if you normally wear boots or some thing.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh yo, and I offically retract my volleyball assertion. Boy, was I wrong. Actually having volleyball pads in my hands, I didn't realize how flimsy they were. I picked up a set of 'Aggressive skateboard kneepads' which I didn't know existed. They make regular skateboard kneepads look like bandaids. They're designed for crashing hard off of 'X Games' sized half pipes and such. I've been jumping off coffee tables onto my kitchen floor just for kicks and giggles (as my stilts haven't gotten here yet.) Oh, BTW there ARE hip pads you guys should look into who are advocating falling sideways. They're pretty tough too.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Even the advice that contradicts the other advice. I have processed it and at least feel much better informed about the dangers and where they could come from.

I guess Pele's not talking to me but... whatareyagonnado?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Good on you, NYC.
Let's all try to be objective here. Shattered kneecaps and broken hips are no laughing matter and IMHO should not be subject to idle speculation.

namaste,
Maximus Ego

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Pk your spot on there . Im acctually makeing a 8ft wand (im crazy i know ) to go along with my stilts . And im just wondering if anybodie else has experience with Twirling on stilts. ?.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I got my stilts!

Wow, durastilts are awesome! The funny part is that there are still people who are taller than me, even when I've got my stilts on. Maybe shaq should start wearing kneepads all the time.

I tried falling and found that my uberkneepads do a pretty damn good job of cushining.

I can't wait to start playing with poi on them.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Steve'o from jack ass springs to mind at the thought of NYC on stilts

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
So I had no idea but it turns out stilts are the best way to attract crazy girls.

I would have thought it would have been the firespinning but nope... it's the stilts.

PS. My stilts are SO much fun.

OH! And on a serious note... there is a HUGE difference in the stability of durastilts at their lowest adjustable height and their highest. The springs really don't compensate at higher heights. I felt VERY solid at 18" and VERY wobbly at 30"... It was really wierd.

Don't worry, I had pads and spotters and all.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I got a call for gig on valentines day. Part of what they want is 2 stilt-walkers in a crowd in a bar walking around being all theatrical, playing with the crowd and handing out chocolates and stuff.

I'm thinking I should get my stilt-walking figured out by then. Probelem is the other stilt walker, a friend, is a little uncertain about it.

She worried about slipping on a spilt drink in a confined space, which is understandable. She'll do it with a minder though. I dunno what I'm gunna do if I'm going to do it myself.

I'm interested, is this a problem that can be gotten around with dura-stilts or is the risk as great? I've seen stilt-walkers going through the crouwd before and they specifically want crowd interaction though at the end of the day we could try compromise...

Opinions, suggestions and advice'd be really appreciated on this...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i have sloshed through more spilled spirits, slippery cleft drippage, squiggly romanesque stomach bile, and banana peel-esque fire fuel in my dura stilts than decency bids me speak.
suddenly aspires to do a commercial

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Yo...
Jafar...make sure your stiltwalking is sorted way before your gig. i've just heard a story of a mate of mine doing a well paid gig and messing it up because he wasn't really ready for it. I think you (and your friend) need to be well versed in hills, uneven terrain, stairs and crowds. Go to a park and have a play! Or if you know anyone who has a crash mat (or a few matteresses) practice falling!

Actually that last point should go for all stiltwalkers I reckon as i don't think it's really been mentioned...you do need to practice your falls so that it's not all theory if/when the time comes.

Maximus...love that photo! is that really a breakfall or a photo that you've whipped out?

Just to add something different here:
My Latest Acheivement: I can now run - not hobble fast, but really run - on 3 foot pegs! Woohoo!

laters

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
and hop strikes again!

cheers guys ive read the thread, and rekon now i could make my stilts in a coupl eof nights!

so tonight or tomorrow, ill start building them, and as soon as i have, ill post some pics for you all to laugh as i fall over and end up wth a stilt through my ear!

later days guys

and thanks again! ubblove hug

Step (el-nombrie)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i know of a very good ear surgeon

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
well they are nearly half done,and imbuilding in ideasall teh time!

i ekon if it all goes well and i relise ican do stilt work ill buy some durastilts, buttill then these heavystilts willdo me!

pics will follow!

later days

Step (el-nombrie)

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I made myself some rather 'rustic' stilts when i was 12. but you have to use ur hands for the,. am in teh process of finding webbing so that they become hands-free lol. They are some planks about 4" by 2" with blobks attached 2 feet up the handles are taped up. I picked it up very easily and as the bottoms are sanded into a circular shape manurvering around in them is very easy. To test them out as hands free my dad strapped them to my legs with belts (VERY dangerous i suggest you dont try it!) and found that the best way to get up was to attach them to ur legs while sitting on a hgih surface. then...just stand up. my dogs thpought it was very amusing to lay down right in front of me just as i was walkign by. xxxx weavesmiley

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
How you getting on with the stilits Mech?
You inspired me to get my shizzle together and I'm about half an hour away now. Just gotta do a bit of gluing and put rubber on the bottom. Just gotta find an old bicycle tire to cut up now... biggrin

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I finished them there about 2 weeks ago and man they're fun.... biggrin biggrin biggrin

I used the above peg design so if anyone has any questions shout. I'll post pics when I use up the rest of that film.

In the mean time....how do you run / jump on them? It seems to me that all the springs in my ankle / feet? I look like an old man trying to jump...kinda like throwing a stone with your left hand... confused

Page:

HOP Newsletter