darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
anybody know some???????

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
here ya go, matey!
it's sometimes nice to start a routine by hugging yourself like a mummy, with the fans closed and protruding sideways, then dramatically unfurl them, one at a time, downwards. looks nice with firre fingers too standing or leaping piruoettes (sp?) with fans outward, arms outstetched or again enfolded in a self-huggracefully slow hand movements with the hands bent 90 degrees at the wrist sideways so that where ever the hand moves, there is a fan shaped fire trail behind it. very nice in a poi weave or corkscrew movementbellydancing arm-hip-booty movements. now dun be shy if all else fails, wushu fan forms look amazing, but i know nuffink about how to execute any, so i'll shuddup now hope this helps matey!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Fans rock my world...
Try moving gracefully with a rock of the hips and a tilt of the head with a big grin on your face and ANYTHING you do will look good...
I find that doing doubles helps a lot because most of the moves that you can do with doubles you can do with the fans... lots of wrist motion and alternating movements on either side of the body.
My fans are shaped like sun rays so when I put them together they look like the sun...
Chuck in loads of jumps and turns and Big swoops with your arms followed by little twists and turst of the wrist... Follow your groove matey and every thing with look great no matter what you do...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Wow were to start on this one .The fans are another tool were you are only limited by your imagination.My self I like slow graceful moves filled with alot of twists and turns with my body.
and alot depends on the size of the fan I am using
my big fans are over 3 ft wide each I like to do real slow weaves with them while kind of kicking out of it by working one hand behind my back and spining my body to were the fan is of course alloing the fan in my right hand to follow it.with smaller fans were i can spin them on my finger i think one of my fav moves is a slower and spread out corkscrew spining the fans on my finger when they are in the 6 oclock and 12 oclock postiion.

I thought I was pretty good with fans til a bellydancer came out to the beach one night and showed us all how a fan is really used I would love to ty to explain what she did with them but I cant I will say it was one of the most graceful fire dances I have ever seen

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
efective fans start by being coy & cheeky, playful & sinful. imagine dancing for a future husband who's just about to buy you with a bushell of opium. Static manovures work well, as does varing the speed of your body in conparasion to your fans. flicking out & folding up your fans, loverly, also gives you a chance to slip a couple of club swinging moves. Fan fliping nice little throw, hold the fan parralel to your body ang flip it away from you. and my all time favourite cross them behind your back, flap them like mad and run around screaming like a phoenix!

ufo8mycatBRONZE Member
journeyman
60 posts

Posted:
go you with the phoenix, sounds great...
might scare that future husband tho

it's not that i mean to set things on fire...

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
eyah since im a guy and all i dont think ill be worried about trying to get a future husband................

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
As a bellydancer I can tell you that fans should not be used as an entity seperate from yourself but should be used as an extension, as if your hand were simply longer.

Floreo...wrist roll with finger movements are important in fan dancing. They give texture to even the slightest movement. Arm movements are another huge part of fans, because they create the flow.

Flamenco dance also uses a great deal of fan work (which is where Bellydance really derrives it from). The poses and postures are to accent your body and your face, not to be focussed on the fans at all.

Doing things with them laying on the horizontal (flat) and then swiftly turning them so they appear to be fans then is very dramatic and strong.
Dragging them across your body, one behind, one in front just under eye level is a very dramatic way to walk.
Turning while having one arm arched over your head and one arm crossed in front of your chest is really pretty.
Using them in a wave motion (flip in and roll out using the wrists) is a great accent to any hip motion.

Remember fluidity is key with effective fans. Anything that looks like it took time to set into probably means it took too long.

Hope this helps!
Hugs....

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
this seems like a good thread to ask a question I don't feel like makeing a new thread for.

Has anyone tried folding fire fans? ive seen a couple of designs for them but they seemed like prototypes.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Astar, hmmmm...the neat thing about folding fans is that they can take on the illusion of a torch. That is kind-of about it. It's all dramatic, the opening and such...but one of the intrinsic issues with folding fans is that they need some form of a locking mechanism to remain open and still allow freedom of movement. Locking fire fans are in prototype stage, and have been for years sadly. Right now with folding fans a person is required to hold them open, usually by way of lacing fingers between the rods which is limiting.
With some of the locking ones that are in development, because of the weights of what we are using, the mechanisms are too complex for smoothe transitions.

This is not to say they can not be used, just not as effectively as if you were to use a silk or rice paper fan, which does not have the weight pressing it closed once again.

I have pages and pages of designs that are simply dysfunctional.
But if anyone has a solution, I am all ears!

Pele

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
sage's boyfreind is a very prestigious and famous blacksmith and they have made some reeeeeeally badass fans with folding mechanisms and such. she will be selling them soon for a very fair price so anybody interested can pm me or maybe i'll start a thread later. they are great and i am very excited.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Pele there's all kinds of martial arts moves that use folding steel fans. Ofcourse the weight is considerably less but there is some neat stuff to be done opening and closeing them if you get an easy, fluid and reliable mechanism. Hopefelly sages boyfriend comes up with it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Astar, those moves are more based on surprise element, which is what I mentioned.
I agree that I hope the mechanism does work fluidly, as the ones I have seen on martial arts fans are pretty complex for split second transitions. I also have to say the "reasonably priced" has me wondering. I know how much it takes to make a fan (thanks to Prometheus making mine, and a bit of research) and I know that the ones listed as "reasonably priced" usually are really over priced and playing on people's ignorance.

Also look to Kabuki theater as the dances do alot with fans in a more playful tale-telling kind of way.

And for those with a racey streak, try looking at traditional burlesque.

Pele

6,978 posts

Posted:
arashi mate, that blacksmithed fan idea is music to my ears!
so is this...
:breaks into 'achy breaky heart':

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Bender I am reporting this thread. I am sure if any moderator sees that achey breaky heart comment they will ban you outright.

6,978 posts

Posted:
i scoot mine boots in your general direction
:noses his thumb at astar:

VasquazBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hey! *bump*

With fans vs. fire fans, you can't hold a fire fan directly down (that is, vertically with the head facing down) when lit as it yould burn you, nor could you hug them close to your body for the same reason. I originaly practiced with normal fans first and then with the fire fans and found that I'd had to change alot of movements to accomadate the flames lol!

Does anyone else get this problem?

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
hes not asking to literally hug the fire, mate. Hes saying to cross your arms creating an X figure with your arms. Your hands should be a few inches higher and away from your shoulders. The classic mummy stance. And as for the moves. I have seen many complicated manuevers, ive seen a flower with fans. with the bottom hole, i think is used for your thumb, you use your index finger instead. Looping your wrists the fan will circle. You got it from there. And if you do poi, isolations with fans are fun. but they will not exactly intercept, they would side by side, but very close. like this. ||. lol easy eh? and if you decide to have even more fun. as your doing the isolation, stop the fans from moving with your middle, pinky, and ring finger. If done correctly, you can create a jolting kind of movement causing the fans to move in reverse (heading toward your body) Note, i have never done fan. But i have seen a bit of moves, hope this helps..

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

MaaiSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
Okay now I want to see some fans in action, anyone with small films or sites where to find such action material?

Without Poi in heaven, I won't go!

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
my live at deis vid

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MaaiSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
Then i'll do it myself!

She's really driven with fire, she also does hoops.

Without Poi in heaven, I won't go!

scottydogGOLD Member
9 posts

Posted:
okay, im thinking of buying some fans from HOP to start with, do you reckon i should buy the larger or smaller ones, theres only a small difference in price. i guess the smaller ones are easier to learn with but just thought you guys who know your stuff with fans would have a better idea?

anyone ever come to aldeburgh and feel like a beach session, just give me a call.

grimm0211BRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I think the smaller the better, just shorter than the length of your arms... keeps open alot of possibilities.
That's my poi style too though, so I'm biased smile
I noticed a mention of the flower too... fun stuff if you don't mind dropping your pretty new fans 50 times. Anyone know how the rolled steel/aluminum holds up to shock? Can they be bent back without breaking?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'd say "it depends" ( rolleyes over my own words) wink

I guess there are basically two kinds, no? the ones you can "fold" and the others which are "steady"...

If you want t o be able to hold the fans straight down, better take longer ones... but they will add weight. But then again I am with grimm, saying that the "just under your armpit" formula works with fans as with poi.... wink

my 2c footinmouth

btw: nice vid, sass hug
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1169873526)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

grimm0211BRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
It's not so bad holding them down, so long as you keep a slight angle out. Doesn't work in the wind though smile
The ones I use are small but the lightest I've seen, and are bendable/repairable. I'd sell them but they're ugly up close.
Here's a cross-post of some fan work, Rovo posted it in another thread but just in case...

Have fun with this one. smile

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Maai

Okay now I want to see some fans in action, anyone with small films or sites where to find such action material?

Yes, here ubblol

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
clap splendid!!!!!!! Very well done ubbrollsmile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

HOP Newsletter