Forums > Other Toys > fire whip... hmmmmmmmmmm

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
wow........ just saw it in the shop..... wow.... could anyone give me a breif on the principles of moves for it or is it more for the prettyness?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Heh theres more to it then "just cracking it around" There is a page with info but I cant be arsed to look it up.

Do a search for fire whips im pretty sure I found the link to it long ago in some fire whip thread riz posted in.

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Funky
There is alot you can do with the fire whip both being used as a whip and you can also do alot of poi style moves with it as well.
as far as giving you the principles of how a whip moves that is just something I cant do on a message board.But it is something that needs to be understood before trying a fire whip. there are alot of good videos out on whip cracking
and to use the fire whip you only need to learn a few basic cracks. good place to start looking for info is www.bullwhips.org that is a great site with tons of info on whipcracking.
if you cant find what your looking for there feel free to email or Pm me I can send you some more places to look.
Take a look in my picture folder It has a couple pics of me using the whips. I think fire ninja has some video clips on his site of him using whips as well. he posted the link on another thread do a search.

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
My favourite is to spin it with the handle in a vertical plane. This is with half of the whip looped back so if it was frozen, it would look like a sickle.

Longer whips are better for this one though.

Another good one (make sure your safety has a fire extinguisher) is to do a similar motion but horizontaly just above ground level. Let it whip out by stopping the handle and jump over the whip as it 'licks' out past your legs.

and, of course, with every fire toy, there is always the option of throwing it and catching it again...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
So far, all you said on this thread, Puk is
quote:
there are other thing's you can do with them
and
quote:
you can do much more than that
The start of this thread was actually asking for things to do. How about desciribing a couple of them so funkymonkey has more options to choose?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MTM MonsterMoat monster
208 posts

Posted:
You can put it on a shelf and simply look at it.

A good deal of growr, some grr and quite a bit of snarl, spit and some biting. just a regular day at the office.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Sorry charles i like been cryptic sometimes you'll just have to see what i do when col4 comes out . I do grab's and different creative stuff with the whip

And yes shimmelfinny you can put it on a shelf and look at it if that's what your heart desires . But there's no fun in that

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
What is a grab ?

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
It's hard to describe it's where i grab the whip on one side and make it move in way's around my bodie.

Ask Cass next time you talk to her about what i do. She thought it was creative and wonderful

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
However, Puk... you keep saying that there are tonnes of moves to do, and you haven't even attempted, from what I have witnessed, to describe one..except maybe the grab. So either please start describing something more than a taunt that will answer the original question in the thread, or wait until COL4 comes out and then say..."Now, what I do in this video, here...that is what I call______ and you can see that I twist here, and flick there...."

Right now I am finding your vague answers to be not so very helpful.

*BTW I don't mean this to sound harsh, so please do not take it that way. I am not feeling well today and so diplomacy has left the body..thank you*

Now..funkymonkey (love that name, makes me laugh and it is a fun poi move) if you are accustomed to doing long poi and have one of those whimpy whips that are nothing more than kevlar string with a handle, you can do many of the similar moves.
However, if you have a real whip...try lighting other things with it. For example, a fire sculpture, standing torches, fire paintings, etc..... It is a show of your aim and skill as well as of the fire.
Leg sweeps and low passing moves look nice.
Wraps (*disclaimer* with leather, no bareskin suggested).
Rope dart moves...while lighting something. Snap out one direction (hopefully lighting something) then turn and in the other direction rapidly (again hopefully lighting something).

Really, before you can do any of this you NEED to be sure you have the basics of whip wielding down without fire first. Aim, snaps without it coming back on you, over head, under leg, wraps (only on covered body *covering my arse here*) side, out and in change of direction...these are all important to have before you even begin seriously concidering fire in my humble opinion.

But truly I think Riz would be the expert here.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
thank you!!!!!!!

argh... i've got 3... no 4... wait...... 5 assignment in for the next 2 weeks, and i should prolly get of the site and start doing some of them but i want to play!!!!!! bought a staff last week.... got most of the basics already.... although saying that the decor in my room is now in much state of repair.

i know i've asked before, but if anyone knows of any poi'ers or spinners of anything in oxford or oxfordshire, let me know because i'm lonley :'(

thanks for the advice though

fireninjamember
34 posts

Posted:
quote:
I think fire ninja has some video clips on his site of him using whips as well. he posted the link on another thread do a search
Yeah, I have pictures and movies of firewhips on my website. Also here is a movie which is not on my site yet:

https://www.fireninja.com/fireballs.mov

There is a thread on that movie here: https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000135

As for tricks, most of what I do with firewhips has not been put on the internet cause it is super dangerous I don't want to give people any ideas.

For instance, I did a fire fetish show last month in which I did a lot of whip wraps on a naked girl -- it went off without a hitch, but we have been practicing those tricks for months. [I use a 4' firewhip on people as opposed to the 7' whip I use for solo tricks] You don't want to **** around with these kind of partner tricks until you are really skilled with the firewhip, or your assistant will end in the emergency room.

There are a whole lot of other interesting whip tricks which don't require a partner. Some involve repeated strikes [fireballs], others work transitions from horizontal to vertical planes:

Non-Https Image Link

My suggestion is to practice a lot without lighting up and get used to manipulating the entire length of the whip from the handle. This is a fundamentally different concept than poi: poi is usually spun in circles with the handle at the center and the fire traveling around the outer circumference. Spinning a whip in circles is boring, and ignores the tremendous potential of the whip as a unique fire implement. This is not to say that some poi tricks don't look cool with a firewhip, but just a reminder not to limit your creativity.

Anyway,

Have fun, and play safe.

-david
david@fireninja.com
www.fireninja.com

Pixeleyemember
10 posts

Posted:
but now when i want that whip it seems to not be in the shop...i guess i got to make my own...but thats not a bad thing though

Thanks to Fireninja for a good description on how to on his site....and the movie clips look great....now I got to find out what white gas is in swedish....

...and that's it for now.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Just remember the average whip dosn't have much of a life (especially if you use normal fuel ) . Try fuel's that have firesol properties left. As for makeing one Pele has a thread on whip makeing . (check the search engine ). Im still waiting to use the whip i ordered from hop (im away from home at the moment ).

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Puk
You would be shocked how long the fire whips last if used on the right surfaces. the prototype
whips I made which are almost two years old.have just passed away.I had well over 500 burns on them
I still turned what was left of the fire whips into some fire ropes which are about 2 feet long I am sure they will go for a long time as well.

Useing any whip on concrete will eat it up real fast.

I have tired to put some videos on my site
of the fire whips but it didnt work.within the next two weeks I will have a basic fire whip video out showing very simple whip cracks.
along with some whip manitance fuels etc.
I made it both for fire people who dont know whips and whip people who dont know fire.
everything on it is for single whip use.We are working on duel fire whips as soon as my hair grows back we will finish it ::::::::laughs::::::
I do end firewhips101 with a awsome duel fire whip routine just to tease everyone.

Non-Https Image Link

Practice practice practice that is the Key

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Riz, is that a video you are making for purchase or for download? I am interested either way!

I believe the thread where I described the whip making is really old, and one I got from another site. If you use that design, please be aware that in the past there have been reports of severe (3rd degree) burns from use of that design. Dangerboy, last I knew, had used it successfully for a long period of time and then one day for an unexplained reason, things went wrong and he was quite burned.

Riz, by far, has the best fire whips I have ever seen, and they are available on his website, which, please Riz correct me if I am wrong, is www.darkrizen.com

[ 09. July 2003, 07:48: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
The whip i have got eaten awy by the fuel . Im waiting to still use your's they sound impressive !.

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Pele
Thank you for the kind words. The url is correct
The video is for purchase.I viewed it last night one more edit and it is finished.Now I understand some of what Malcolm goes through on the COL videos they are alot of work.

ps:: that little whip girl you have is kind of sexy ::evil grin :::
Riz

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Wow im finally back and i've had a practice session with it . And it's so different to my other whip . Great whip Riz

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Puk
I am glad you are enjoying the whip. I was able to get out and spin with Cass a couple weekends back she explained your grab to me sounds like a nice move she also said it looks awsome.I find the 5 ft whips a tad short to do grabs or wraps.I use a 8 fter and kind of throw out a side arm crack in front of me.after the whip cracks it comes back at me and wraps around my upper body (waist and chest)before the whip even stops I reverse the whips direction and uncoil it from my body.I do it all the time with a reg bullwhip but have only done it once with the fire whip it looks awsome so I am told ,
I am sure I wil get the guts to do it again soon.
Riz

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Wow that sounds impressive ! I've only got the 5ft whip (im just getting use to but i'll move on to that length soon enough).

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Puk i dunt care what some other may fink, you rawk!
but if you marry my sister things will get weird.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

cicatrixmember
32 posts

Posted:
fireninja: I'd be fascinated to see any still pix or footage that you have of fire fetish shows, 'specially the one you mentioned....I looked around on your site but I had a hard time finding the promised 'mature content' I do mostly fire fetish shows myself (tho not nearly that advanced) and I'm always super interested in new ideas or things to work towards. And hey, if you ever lose the old assistant, I come with great visuals pre-installed

'share and enjoy'

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Thanks bender im hopeing (pending on work to go to melbourne sometime near the end of the year and would love to meet up with you and the melbourne spinner's).

As for marrying your sister's (hey i once was L.D.S but im not with that crazy right wing group )don't know them to start with .

TamimSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
If you get too frustrated you can always hang yourself with it

Your only one drug away from liking techno.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
All I have to say is this: I made one once.

Once being the operative word. I lit my entire arm on fire so many times because I use Coleman fuel (Maybe kero would be better... hmmm), and I burned off so much arm hair that I don't touch it anymore. I promised myself only after I figure out how to use a real bull whip some day, THEN maybe I'll come back to it.

My arm still shudders at the thought of fire whips... And yet... I so want to learn how to do it right... Must... resist... urge to... play with dangerous fire implement!

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
beefy
I dont think knowing how to use a whip will help you keep hair on your arms.I dont light my arms on fire but they stay pretty much hairless.even more so when I am learning a new whip routine.It is because the whip travels real close to your arm when doing certain throws.

If your really interested on learning how to use a fire whip/bullwhip in what I consider a safe manner(as safe as you can be with 5 ft of fire).I have just released a fire whip video"Fire whips 101" .the 1st 1/3 is on fire safety not so much the whip but what every fire person should know fuels/gear maintance etc.the middle I show about 7 diffrent whip throws all very basic which can be picked up very easy.closing it out I do a single whip routine(that is what the video is aimed at teaching )then I close it out with a dual whip routine which will be covered in the advanced whip video.feel free to email me for more info.or you can check out the one I have on ebay . Fire whips 101

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Riz i can't beleive how many cracks i can get out of your whip . And the amount of burn time is amazing ! I ran out of moves apx 1 and half minutes twirling .

Oh and my popper broke how would i put it back on ?

[ 15. September 2003, 14:39: Message edited by: Puk ]

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Puk
1st question is do you have another popper?
or know how to make one ? if so make your popper from kevlar thread (Malcolom sells it in the shop ).

use a ice pick nail or anything pointy work that through the braids in the fall be careful not to cut the braids once you get a small hole worked in it stick the loop side of your popper through then the part you just stuck through the hole open it up so the end has an open loop doesnt need to big just big enough to run the rest of the popper through what you will be doing is making a big slip knot.

If you dont have any poppers or dont know how to make them I sell them in packs of 5 on my site Fire By Riz

if you get stuck or have any questions Darkrizen@aol.com feel free to shoot me an email.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Thanks Riz

Pacifistmember
28 posts

Posted:
Would using a jumprope be agood but cheap way of practicing the whip?

Pacifist

[ 15. September 2003, 21:45: Message edited by: Pacifist ]

Bzzzzz Blurb, Bzzzzzz Blurb, Fop pzzzzz, Fop Pazazzzz,

Page: