ebonymember
2 posts

Posted:
It all depends what kind of job you want! I've got dreads, pink ones. it hasn't been a problem getting jobs in my area of interest. You should be more worried about twirling with a wad of flaming dreads. It can look spectacular but can be hazzardous!

Insatiable fire-faerie (Angie)BRONZE Member
150 posts

Posted:
MMM....but the question is...what do you do for a job?I have my nose and my tongue pierced (these are the only ones people can see anyway)My nose, I only had done quite recently. The majority of people I am around, because of my job, are very upper class english gentry types......the response to my new piercing is quite varied.....some frown look at me like I have gone completly crazy and some think its great.Its a shit that people judge you by your looks. Has anyone had any problems getting work because of there apperance? ------------------"If you alway do what youve always done, youll always get what youve always got".....by 'someone wiser than me'

"You've got red on you!" Shaun of the Dead

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh yea. What you choose to look like has a big impact on where and what kind of work you can do. Unfortionatly, there are still a lot of people out there that judge others by how they look. I have a nose ring, labret(piercing on the chin..) a tounge ring and pretty big(but not huge!) rings in my ears (they have been stretched). Sounds like a lot but they are all quite small, and, i don't think, offencive at all. And yes, i have problems getting jobs. When you choose to look "different", you do limit yourself, as far a jobs go.I've had heaps of employers flat out say to me "we will only hire you if you take your peircings out".I reakon people that have problems with pericings have the same beef with dreads. At the end of the day, you have to do what YOU like and what makes YOU happy. Yea, i know we gotta work to live, but we don't have to live to work...It will take a bit longer but there will always be employers who will hire people for their ability to work, not what their hair looks like.

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
my boyfriend has dreds and he gets nothing but good responses from people - he's never had a problem finding work.I had a job in law and i wore what i wanted which was generally hippy clothes, and i got a promotion too.people should appreciate you for yourself and your ability (within a working environment). But there r plenty of people out there who want to present a certain image to their customers (the way of business - well presented = competent)really its about what is important to you though. 1. to u, r dreds about fashion or self expression? 2. would u compromise your self expression for a position which would require u to look a certain way?Dont forget - if u decide to go for it, u'll have them for some time and youll probably have to shave you hair off if u decide you dont want them anymore. i agree with bikinikitty tho - life is for living. find a job that suites you and your hair![This message has been edited by Firefairy (edited 27 October 2001).]

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
isnt the purpose of facial piercings so ppl WILL judge you for your appearance? ... hmm ... if u want to know the true lust of piercing try your nipples and you can still get a job or put your pubes in pink dreads. this is what i looked like when i was 15 trying to get a jobMesomebody come pick me up i dont care how long it takes i dont care how much gas you use just get me out of iowa u can drop me off acrossed the border with my poi in my pocket i cant stand this evil evil corn any longer[This message has been edited by GaBBeRave19 (edited 27 October 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
It would not be for fashion, I can tell that much. I've pondered it for years really, and it goes much, much, deeper then that. Yes, I know its a big decision, I have long, long hair.I also have piercings (1 nose, tongue, navel,18 in my ears) I dont't have a problem getting a job with those. I suppose its all in how you present it. I don't wear the "rebel" look. Same with dreads also I suppose. I can't really explain it. Thought it over last night, there quite a few places I wouldn't be able to work for, but who ever said I wanted to work for them anyways? May only live once, its my body, my hair my life =]Thanks you guys for your response...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Now I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but IN MY HONEST OPINION...What's wrong with basing early conceptions about people by the way they look? It tells u a lot about a person in many different cirsumstances, although, just like everything else, sometimes it can be misleading.When someone is in a clean tuxedo, with a good haircut and lots of facial piercings I will always look twice. I'll see if he seems comfortable in the suit, or if he seems nervous or out of place.If he does, then I'll assume he often doesn't wear tux's, and is likely to be part of the raving scene, maybe even do a few more drugs than the average person at the event.However, if there is another guy in an old dirty tux, un-shaven, with a strong smell of sweat. I'll also look to see if he's uncomfortable and self conscious.If not, he's probably got a reasonable amount of money, but doesn't care much for what people think and will agressive and loud when drunk (if not already).Obviously, I'm aware that these assumptions may be wrong, and to be ceratin I'll need to get to know the individual.Likewise, I see nothing worng with employers not choosing someone festooned with visible piercings for a high client contcat job. That decision is merely recognising that people see you, before they talk to you. And the same goes for those conducting the interview, all they have to go on is what you say (which often isn't the whole truth during interviews) and what you look like. that's the whole reason that they HAVE interviews.With very few exceptions, we all choose how we look, what we wear and which pieces of us we wish to impale. Some people do this deliberately to shock others and then complain about how they are treated by strangers (I find this attitude highly hypocritical)So, if we choose how we wish to represent ourselves, and are aware of the avergae reaction to certain 'looks', getting angry when people assume or judge you is silly.You might as well get angry at yourself for choosing to represent yourself to strangers that way.Anyway, thats my take on things, and now I'll wait for the backlash ...(puts on his Muni-body armour and hides in a corner blush )------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 29 October 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yep - its all cool to base assumptions of personality on the persons looks, unless you are wrong and then form preconceptions of the person (which are always apparent in your subsequent treatment of them) which hinder your relations with them.Stereotypes are extremely dangerous, because they are so often wrong. They are for the most part a left over evolutionary mechanism, from a time when survival meant placing the right trust in ppl - and having them behave as you expect. These days thats not really an issue. If they dont, you can fire them smile or not call them back, or shop somewhere else, or have them arrested.Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've had dreads for 6 and a half years, several facial piercings (1 lip, 2 eyebrows) for nearly as long and i've had mostly positive responses. Occasionally I've had some right wing idiot telling me he/she doesn't like it. But calmly explaining to them that it's their right to disagree with me if they so choose usually confuses them enough for me to make good my escape wink tongueI've had no problems getting a job due to appearance. In fact several employers have said that it was my different style, fresh approach and general outlook that made them employ me in the first place.

Meh

Insatiable fire-faerie (Angie)BRONZE Member
150 posts

Posted:
I think it all depends on the person who is interviewing you....I think high class/rightwing buisness men/women seem to find it hard to accept anything or anybody who are slightly out of their 'norm'....I think they feel threatened or intimidated by it because they dont understand it and inturn conclusively view the person in front of them negativly, which I think is very sad.I think judging a person by how he/she chooses to dress or express themself materially, is minimalising the true qualities that person really posseses and could offer the potential employer.So Charles do u think that people should dismiss their freedom of self expression in order to please others ....Is this an answer....I dont think so. I think it is just as bad as racisim.....eeekkk, should I have gone there???'Pondering Angie' x------------------"If you alway do what youve always done, youll always get what youve always got".....by 'someone wiser than me'

"You've got red on you!" Shaun of the Dead