MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I saw on a show one time (I think it was Trigger Happy TV) a street performer who was rolling a ball about 9" in diameter around his arms and body. Not really sure what it would be called but guess ya could say it was like contact staff with a ball. Anyone seen/done this before and know of a website or videos that I could learn from?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
It is called contact juggling. If you have ever seen labryinth david bowie does it to cast spells.

9 inches is abnormally large usually people use 2 1/2 to 4 inch balls. I have dabbled with it but not enough to get good. I mostly like the moves that only take place int he palm of the hand, opposed to the ones that role up and down your arms and stuff.

If you want to learn about it two good pages are

Contactjuggling.org

and

Contactjuggling.com

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
2.5 to 4 inch is more common for the hand style that MM showed in labyrinth, especially for multiple balls tricks that are harder or impossible with larger sized contact balls.

However the larger balls are more common for body contact styles, rolling them all over the place, and usually no more than two at once.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
oh you make me sooo happy
"...guess ya could say it was like contact staff with a ball."

Especially after the britich juggling convention organisers couldnt comprehend the idea or contact juggling.. but with a stick.

just for that...

good old thread on contact

Videos = https://www.thesilverman.co.uk/contactsite/top.html

look at video v for steve doug(trashed) and karine (very trashed+5am) thats the peach and iv has the fantastic jago oh, and a bit of me

9" easier for body rolling stuff (its much easy with a ball that big)

[ 21. April 2003, 21:17: Message edited by: Glåss ]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I think it loses it's appeal when you use really big balls. It's like the dream team.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
body rolling, in my opinion looks better with the larger balls because you can actually see them on a person, with the exception of rolling the single ball over the hands. That is better with a 4 to 3"-er, to learn and to see. But when I say larger I am talking the 4" - 6" balls, otherwise, while still being impressive, the Harlem Globetrotters might want to sign you!

However, I personally find the nuances of the single hand tricks quite lovely (4 ball shift and trade) but the smaller ones only work for this. I use the 2.5" and sometimes it can be a stretch for me, and I have long fingers. It really depends which you want to do...as there is an entire world of tricks involved with this.

This is all my opinion of course.
Oh, and if you want to see MM doing his stuff on the Labyrinth, the DVD has an all too brief section in the making of the movie special feature (which I tend to watch more than the movie now! )

But then again, this is all mho

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nice beard drew.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate