Page:
WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
My new project of insanity, matching fire swords!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been doing aikido for the last few months and my Sensei is very sword orientated so I have my bokken (wooden training sword) and I just noticed how its design could be adapted for a fire sword.

Basically you would start with a metal tube for the handle, then take two pieces of very rigid 4mm sheet steel and cut yourself two sword blades with tangs to go into the handle which you beat into a curve then slide the tang into the tube so you have awide handle with two blades coming out, now drill loads of holes in the blades, run wick between the wo blades and use bolts to bring the two blades together in a sword shape with an exposed cutting and back edge of wick.

Hopefully this should work and a m8 of mine can weld the blades to the handle for extra strength, soooooooo what do you all think, I'll try and draw some piccys, but I'm going to start making it today so hopefully photos are the way, back soon.

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
sounds about like the idea I had, if I had all the tools needed Only difference was a piece of metal in between the two blades(that extends beyond either as the blade) that I would wrap the wick around so as to give a striking surface that would not have any metal exposed..There's been quite a few threads on fire swords n stuff, check around Now once you get these done come ovah heyah n spar with me, eh??

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
good idea!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i urge you to affix the wicking with minimal exposed metal.
twirlers don't always hit themselves, but they definitely do. if ya can't avoid twirling swords, at least minimise the injury risk.
accidental branding = not good :eek!:
what i've learnt is that when you twirl swords with a lot of weight, the scars come in twos - and they're *deep* My left arm doesn't like me now. they instantly scar your flesh, it gets that hot.
one way to minimise exposed metal is to affix your kevlar with recessed metal twine instead of bolts, especially if you plan on performing wushu-double straightsword (Jien) forms. (there's alot of sideways sweeps that present the side of the blade(S) close to your torso, especially in stance work.)
here's a way to fashion the wire:

Non-Https Image Link

be careful my friend!

i also urge you to run around with your pants around your ankles, but it is not required....

NOT that i'm using reverse psychology to make you stumble around pant-less. Nooooo, NOT at all.

erm. yes! i'm not. or something.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

119 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys, and I especially see the point that bender is making about the sword getting red hot, hmmmmmmmmmm, aikido sword form can be quite sweeping and distant to the body, so I could avoid the problem, but there are some mad rolls and flips you can do whilst holding the sword that require reasonable close body contact, what we really need is some kind of kevlar fire resistant body armour or something as wrapping the wick will not give the sheet effect I'm after, tho a fully flaming sword might be better, hmmmmmmmmm.

Oh well I'll have some photos up later as I start cutting the metal

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
bender, those blades kick booty

6,978 posts

Posted:
hehheh fire swords are not just for christmas! ya gotta raise them!

another thing about huge blades on fire: be careful not to drop them, cus my stainless steel coating is coming off from a drop. plus if you drop/bang them against something really hard, the superheated metal will be prone to bending. bending is very bad.
bender is very silly.
Llama!

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
My 1st set of fire swords were el cheapo flea market swords like 20 bucks the cheap swords dont have hardend blades which allows me to dril some holes in the blade so I can sew the kevlar on with kevlar thread.
Agreeing with Bender the blades get real hot real fast even the slightest touch will leave a nice mark. All of the swords I have made we leave to blade side non covered be cause we like to fight with them .
I have a Guy who just droped off a custom set of medeivl swords to have me wick them he had the hole drilled by the sword make before the blades were harden .these are going to be some bad fighting swords . I dont even know how these guy fight with them they wiegh like 30 lbs each. I will post some pics of them as soon as I get them done

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I want to get a set from tobasco of pyrosutra (in seattle). those one's kick ass

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

James Bmember
44 posts

Posted:
I was thinkng of making a fire sword meself this summer. not one that can be uesd for fighting, just display. I will let you know if I get around to making it

Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far!

Damember
1 post

Posted:
Fire sword seem to be very instable to me, which i consider the biggest problem. Just for swinging around, they can be lightweight.

Yes, they do brandings, as any heated metal like torches do. But when doing some fighting, things get more tricky. The usal problem with swords are that they are likely to break, heating them will increase the danger and results could become inpredictable.

For keeping the shining metal surface you can use some paste, which can be bought in FX shops or the one you use to lighten coals (for a campfire or grill).

Anyone here who has experiance with contact forms?

I guess the modified tiger claws are for solo forms only.

Greetings,

Da, der Schelm

-------------------------------The art of enchanting spectators is magic. But since it is manipulating mind and emotion, is it black or white ?Da, der Schelm ----------------------------------

AyellayenThe smart-arse who kisses Rouge's
128 posts

Posted:
Hey, anyone in Victoria, Aus, *cough*Bender*cough, know where I can scout out some fire swords, or swords suitable for gearing up for fire?

It's my world - you all just happen to live in it.

119 posts

Posted:
Well my attempt continues, I have some decent untempered 5mm sheet steel that I'm going to use for the blade and hand gaurd which I've started cutting.

So in the end I decided on a sort of dai-katana style of blade (two handed katana) which is about 3ft long and 1" wide ish.

But I'm not sure whether to wrap the blade or to do the sandwich effect between two blades that I mentioned before, I could do proper contact fighting with the sanwich effect but the wrapping would produce a more visually pleasing effect I think.

Anybody got any input before I finally go ahead??????????????

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Im getting a special set made by tobassco (from pyrostura ). Just got a email back from him and he can do what im thinking about . Yayy

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

6,978 posts

Posted:
wow, wintermute, if your sword ends up being iron crafted to sandwich around kevlar, be very careful of the metal! train heaps back at the dojo/school without hitting yourself to reduce the likelihood of hot metal impact on flesh!

also, Da der Schelm, if you think that wushu sword forms are solo only, i invite you to come to melbourne, and i shall show you how 'interactive' double sword forms are designed to be.

even tai chi has combat applications, and any double straightsword work is no exception.
I dunno much about non-Chinese sword technique tho ??? please watch circles of light 4, I have been practising sword work more than poi or single staff. omg i;m all excited now
/starts swinging the mouse about like a dart...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, I've jst finsihed off making my sword.

I now have 6ft of wicking wrapped around a 3 (and a bit) ft blade.

Went out to have a swing and it feels remarkably nice - I'm sure that fuel will double the weight though.

Also noticed that I'm going to have to practice a heck of a lot more - I'm used to some body "bounces" and close-to-the-body stuff which will just result in flaming sleeves / scarred arms.

Out of curiousity - what sword forms do people here practice?
I'm learning Tan Taow (Northern Broadsword) leading up to Shwang Taow (Doubles) but, for practicality my fire sword is a katana, wrapping wick around a broadsword would be a nightmare.
I've also been teaching myself a some of the Tai-Chi forms which are a lovely way to wake up in the morning

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

119 posts

Posted:
All my sword technique comes from 4 years of fencing training at school (yes it is poncy, oh yes) and more recently 6 months of Aikido, one of my senseis is sword obsessed so I get quite alot of practice in, and my sword is almost finished

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
here is a pic of a custom fighting sword i just finished the wicking is doubled over and two layers thick. I kept the wicking away from the handle because during battles you need to have the blade under the handle this seems to keep the flame from coming up the handle to far.we also kept the sharp edge un covered so during contact it wont cut off the wicking
Non-Https Image Link

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
Fire swords look awesome. I would love to use a Fire Sword but I have not been able to get my hands on one or even find materials to make one. lol I'm just really into ninjas and stuff that is why I want to use them.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Pretty though they are - I think you're putting carts before horses. There's little point making a sword if you can't use it (and mimicing what you see in Star Wars doesn't count )
Take up a Martial Art that teaches sword - there's many, but most have it at a "more than beginner" level. If you're lucky you might have a kobodu school near you which is a martial art which teaches soley weapons (I believe...).
Another more "flowery" form is Wushu which is also quite focussed on weapons (Useless as a form of self defense IMHo though )

Apologies if you already know a sword art - but these things can be dangerous for just playing with.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Kamaemember
18 posts

Posted:
Hey guys myself and a friend each made fire katanas out of a basic sheet of steel with slits cut diagonally down towards the blade. We then wove the wick through the slits up the back of the blade. It makes for a very secure wick.

I actually train in Ninpo Taijutsu (ninjutsu) which invovles a lot of sword work as well as staff and other assorted weapons. But I would recomend for the Japenese swordsmanship, Eishin Ryu. It is an awesome samurai sword school. Ninja sword techniques are very simple and practicle but look fantastic when applied to fight scenes, check out sights related to Bujinkan and eishin ryu for some excellent techniques.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
FIREBY RIZ TM

just a quick comment/question about that picture of the fire sword.

how are you blocking? is it with the blade?

im guessing it must be or you'd lose all your wicking............. poor little blade tho.......all nicked and notched

i imagine it would be good fun though
sweet as!!!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I had the pleasure of seeing Bender use his tiger hook swords last week.

Awesome stuff.

Anything but a solo form.

So much fire, so little body hair...

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
jonathan
I am a tad wacked out but not bad enough to sword fight .the guys i make them for are the ones who do it/ yes they make contact blade to blade.and block with the blades.the good swords like the one in the pic have real hard blades
they dont nick up too bad. as far as losing wicking i have made 5 swords for these guys and havent lost any wicking yet if you look at the pic the edge were they make contact doesnt have wicking on it.the sword in the pic was custom made to be a fire sword they guy who made it drilled holes in the middle of the blade before it was hardened so i could attach the wicking. on the cheaper blades were it isnt that hard i have a spiecal drill bit i use to dril my own holes

and a warning the guy who bought the sword in the picture just got 197 stichs to his lower abdoman and groin area from a sword fight show that went bad and these guys are profesianl sword handlers.one more inch to the left and he would have been a she .

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
*wonders how many professionals these days try full contact fire sparring with flea market blades*

Hope your friend just walks away with a bad memory, and a lesson learned..How exactly did the accident happen? If there is a lesson to be learned I'd like to hear

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
musashii
I dont know of any pros or perfomrers that use flea market blades for contact.unless they planned to throw them out after they were done.
The highlander sword in the pic I posted that my freind uses to fight with was cutom made by some guy out in Ca at juat a tad over $500 bucks .

I dont really know what happened to cause his accident . Nor does He I guess it is just one of the things that can happen when you sword fight with a razor sharp sword.

Maybe the lesson is if your going to do something dangerous be prepared for when it blows up in your face

6,978 posts

Posted:
practicing with blanks helps hey?
me splashed out on foam and rattan practice weaps to practice on before diving into hot firey metal!

plus good karma is the best protection! become a buddhist today! you'll look like a mean grandmaster with a saved head! woo hoo!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Saved head? Isn't that more of a pigmy tradition...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

6,978 posts

Posted:
oi! buddhists aren't short, they're just vegetarians...

Pirate BoyBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
i gotta idea,
You could use a piece of tempered stell as a blade and have a set of holes running up it like on your shoes, then weave a piece of kevlar rope through the holes just like your shoes once again

Only the insane prosper,
Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane...

KyleG4uSILVER Member
KyleG4u
68 posts

Posted:
My downstairs neighbor actually made me a sword with cold rolled steel and he added a notch at the top similar to a t.v. antennae. The design of the sword was simple, it was more of a tube that can unscrew and disassemble rapidly but I wrapped it in Kevlar with wire attaching one half at a time. Its a slick design and it looks like a basic training sword. It has a few wires visible but they look like rings attached. Even with one ply of Kevlar I still can get up to a 3 ft flame *about a meter*. Ya gotta love fire 8D

It's like when you can't remember something you get.... short term.... kidney failure, that's gotta be it, something wrong with your kidneys...
---------------------------------
Love Peace Chicken Grease, Live Laugh Love

Page: