brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
myself and ivan are trying to build stilts and i am tryying to work out how to atach fire to the bottom of the stilts (ivan is also working on a 8 foot staff)

any one had any experience with fire stilts??

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
The fireflys use fire stilts.

Should be very easy to weld several metal tube cores to the bottom of the stilts, wrapping and attaching kevlar around each tube and voila.

maybe you could even solder? I don't know much about the strength of soldering though...

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
tubs would get in the way it would either have to be raped or on wires

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
that stilt idea is crazy.

good luck with the staff mineiro has a 3 metre fire staff with a meter of wick on each end, the momentum on that thing is awsome.
theres a glimps of it on the messy video in the video thread which can be found in poi moves.
be kewl make big toys

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
we've played with fire stilts a fair bit -
there is a photo of Elke twirling on stilts with her 3m sheet staff (wick down along 1m from each end) on moonfest website under Medieval Fayre Gallery...

http:groups.msn.com/moonfest

But if you're going to put fire on the lower sections or the actual stilts, just be careful if you happen to be using the "unicycle" french brand adjustable stilts (the ones available from Juggleart) - if you are, (and I don't know if you are) - you may notice a small plastic joiner where the stilts join/adjust... well 'twould be good to notice this, as we didn't and now Elke's stilts just aren't quite so adjustable anymore...

She tried a few different versions - one with wick wrapped around an aluminium sheet covering of this lower section, (wired on, as it was a temporary thing) another with small spokes clipped on to this section... but be really careful (as I know you will be) - cause you are strapped in, so it adds quite a different potential safety hazard... (kind of harder to drop & roll if emergency requires etc etc)

I think you can get just as good effects creating characters who use fire in interesting ways rather than having to have fire on the body of the stilts - but that's just where I am at with fire stilts/performance at the moment..

good luck - email me or moon pixie if you want more details about what we did with ours...

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Wonderful Bec thankyou for your advice I have a couple of crazy idea's that stormer and can do.
Even got a character's idea .

[ 03. March 2003, 21:48: Message edited by: Ivan Newton(grubiln) ]

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk