Waltmember
6 posts

Posted:
I've been getting into flags, and starting to get some juggling/skill toys club members into it, but there's always the question of, where do you get those. They aren't real keen when I tell them to make them.

I started with the 36X42 design, and have not really gone away from it other than to add swivels. The only designs I've seen for sale are small heavy squares, nice expensive ones from circuitflags.com, the ones here at hop, and the band ones. The shorter ones I think would be problematic for some of the stuff I do, like partial wraps, underleg weaves, etc because you need the length for part of the wrap.

Anyway, I've been thinking about making some just to get them into the hands of more people. (Lame std colors, 36X42, swivels, handles, etc).

I dont really want to be a store, and I've found at least one place that might be interested in carrying them, but with markup for the store, they'd be like $35-40/pr for a basic swivel flag. I'm not sure if people would be willing to pay that. I know making them is the hold back for alot of people, and price of the nicer std's is also a barrier. If there was a source for a basic 36X42" flag for $35-40 would people buy them? It would be pretty much the same as the $75 metallic lame ones at www.circuitflag.com. I'm not sure how many they sell at that price. Seems kinda spensive to me, but maybe people are paying that much.

What do you all think?

Boredom is the Mind Killer.

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
Hi,
I am from Houston, Texas and i bought a set of flags from www.freeformflags.com. They were a bit pricey, but i got some beautiful tye dyed silk flags and they flow great! They also offer a 44" by 55" flag that i want to try out. Since i dont sew and im not sure of the weight, i will probably buy another set from them. I also found a site that shows how to make them at centrifugal force, www.cforcesf.com. Theres Don Baker who makes flags at www.flagdancer.com.
Have fun and let me know if you make those large flags! I want a set!
Mayhem

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
Hey,
I also have a picture of someone that made some flags with basically tassles on one side. They look pretty awesome! Let me know your email addy if you want me to send you a pic for more ideas. Later,
Mayhem

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I just received a set of swing flags from bandshoppe.com, with oversized flags. They work great for me, I have a ring to hold onto with a swivel, and the weight's nice to spin with. And cheap too, about 25$$ per flag. Now if I could find more vids or instructions on flag specific moves perhaps, have to do a circuit party n stuff..

peace

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Waltmember
6 posts

Posted:
Mayhem: I've been trying some dyeing with silks. I did 4 pair over the weekend. They are not weighted yet, but you can see what they will look like.

https://www.cs.uwm.edu/wpark/pix
Ignore the scooter.jpg. That's just a puppy pic.

Musashi: I have seen the bandshoppe ones, but they seem like they were made to be on a stick rather than swung and are over $50 a pair. Also they look like they would be heavy and thick. How are they working out for you?

Waltmember
6 posts

Posted:
Musashi: This is why I think the bandshoppe type is a bad idea. There's a picture of the flags and the chain at the bottom of the page here:

https://www.bandshoppe.com/html/specialpoles.html

If you look at the chain, it's pretty heavy. Also if you look at the way it spins, the flag only covers 1/4 of a circle.

Now take a look at this:

https://www.freeformflags.com/tiedye_all.htm

With the rectangles gripped centrally on one side, you get an entire 360 wall of fabric. Also since flags are non-linearly weighted, you can make them much lighter than that chain/plug combo, and spin really slow, which is just mesmerizing to watch. Also... I think getting hit by the bandshoppe ones would hurt, and also could be dangerous in a club type situation.

I'll try to make some video of flag swinging since there seems to be a lack of things to show. Don's site www.flagdancer.com has some video, but for the most part, he's only showing weaves so that you can see the flags rather than showing stuff you can do with them.

[ 27. February 2003, 05:46: Message edited by: Walt ]

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
eh, I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I like having a swivel for flag spinning. Granted it's not 'traditional' flag swinging, but it works for me, looks good, and opens up more moves(which has been my complaint with traditional flags to begin with). With the band shop chains, you can fit almost any type of flag on them, and yes they are weighted, but it helps you swing bigger flags(mine are rectangular solids, 4 feet high by 5 feet wide), which give you much more coverage than the flag mounted on the chains in the pic on the bandshoppe site. I also like the ability to take white flags, mount a xxtra long glo stick along the chain, fit it inside, and break halfway thru spinning. Hmm, and yes, you definitely dont want to walk into these, it would hurt, but that's what my safety crew is for, keeping the crowd back. I'm not a huge fan of flags, so it's not something I'm going to take to a club These are primarily for shows.

l8

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Lovely flags and they fly so beautifully. Did you make them? The pics look like the lush ones Flaggerboy Xavier and crew make.

Nice space perception for in your house as well tongue

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

drewskiBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
actually the video is not myself... it's Cybersass... she has many flagging, poi & hop videos on youtube...

here is the only video i have form when i first started spinning around 4 1/2= 5 years ago.

and Sass again with an instructional video....