Forums > Other Toys > Devil Sticks (definitive moves/tricks)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Ok tonight I went through all the animations on devilstick.de and I thought i'd get this thread up and running with a couple of moves I didn't see displayed on it.

To go in to the saw from a helicopter: start with the heli and have the sticks close to each other and almost contacting the devil, then allow the hand sticks to contact and wrap around the devil while crossing over, the devil should get caught in a V, move the hand sticks/(V)upwards; now depending on whether you do this last bit above or below the central axis of the devil you can get it to spin either way for your prefered saw direction.

I guess it's in the heli family, what to call it?
start with a heli (I do generally do it ccw) and when you hit it with your right handstick give it a bit extra so it does 1 full rotation, catch and hit it with the left hand stick (another 1 full rotation) and repeat vice-versa continuously. I guess it's sort of an alternating outside-inside heli move.
Tip: Your hand/sticks should move from low-high and from the side to in front of your body.

Did that make sense, if not i'll try and explain when straight,

S#!t, proof reading on the grey and I already found 1 sentence that didn't make sense

[ 09. January 2003, 08:44: Message edited by: JeStEr ]

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
i've been trying to perfect this without any handsticks but it really hurts........

My cat's breath smells like catfood

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:

Ads

Is that magnets!?

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Well............. i tried it a couple of days ago after having admittedly forgotton about it, and.................. respect, is bloody hard!

Yours sincerely,

Adam, (now with slightly sore balls from HS's)

PS. You making an appearance at the Liquid Party next week?

Is that magnets!?

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I blew £850 on rubbish when i went back down to cornwall last week so unfortunately i will probably not be making an appearance outside of my caravan until about 2016 why what is it?

Sore balls. pah imagine the pain i went through trying to invent a trick that used that part of the body.......hang on, why the f**k did I bother?

Freud would have a field day.

Enjoy life

Tennis

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Shame is gonna be a wicked Psytrance out door party. Well one day we'll hook up and have a jam, It's depressing sometimes how few Devilsickers there are. Has been nice recently tho round London, seems like quite a few people have been taking them up.

Well enjoy whats left of the summer.

Your fellow DS type person

Ads

Is that magnets!?

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
ds ads
I was just being nosy and WOW your a biologist explain some more. That's a clever job thing.
And is it dsads cos all the buttons are really close together?

And on the subject of the thread do you have any handstick throws in your collection. I was looking at this cocktail guy with all the things they do and am going to try to steal some of his ideas. Have you considered this at all?

Tennis

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Hey Tennis, yeah i got one of those degree type things in biology, but am still searching for the job!

The name is coz i mostly do devilsticks (DS) and my name is Adam.

Humm........... handstick throws, let me see.

K, try this one, from tic toc catch the top of DS in your right hand with the RHS inline with the DS and in the same hand. Then throw the DS and RHS over to the left in an inverse cascade style throw (DS spins anticlockwise). The LHS gets swaped to the right hand while the DS and the RHS are in the air, this frees your left hand to catch the HS in the air, you then catch and control the DS with the HS caught in your left hand.

Hope that makes sense, its really not as tough as it sounds, this trick can also be performed from a catch of the botom of the DS in exactly the same way except the throw is done with the rotation in the opposite direction (clockwise).

Hope that keeps you going for now, anything you wish to share with me?

Oh and have you tryed a weave with DS? It works like a mills mess heli, but in a vertical plane rather than horizontal.

Happy playing

Ads

Is that magnets!?

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I can do that throw but the weave thing sounds interesting fancy going into a bit more detail?

I've just been trying to juggle all three sticks until they go back to a handstick in either hand and the devil in the air slight problem though....i can't juggle....yet.

tennis

we're all prophets

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Yeah the Juggling bit is hard coz of the weight differences, have a go at clubs first that will help loads. The weave thing is neigh on impossible to explain. Check out the Devilstick.de site and look at the mills mess heli, once you got that down then try and do the weave using the same kind of motion, its the only way i managed to work it out, oh and it helps if you keep the DS towards the end of the HS's as it wont work if you are close to your hands.

Soz about the shitty explanation.

So cummon, where's my trick then?

Laters

Ads

Is that magnets!?

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Getting down a few 'back of my knee stalls' on the go at the moment too
When in helicopter spin the devil around on stick (either one the end result looks slightly different though) and lift your corresponding leg up having it bent at the knee.
Now get the devil 'caught' on the back of your knee.

From that you can flick the devil with your handstick into the idle plane.

There are loads oand loads of little adaptations you can do with this, alternate legs ...

i like it as it's a nice little connecting trick.

And you thought your discpiption was bad

[ 01. September 2003, 00:22: Message edited by: tennis ]

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Hey Tennis, are we like the only devilstickers on this site?

Where are all the others bragging about their latest tricks?

*hopes the thread gets noticed*

Cummon all you other devilstickers, i know your out there, muah hahahahahahah.

Ads

Is that magnets!?

Evildmanmember
46 posts

Posted:
Well I am here, and have been keeping track of this thread. I haven't posted anything here for two reasons.

1) I haven't actually been working on any new tricks per se. I have been working on smoothing out my normal routine and making it flow smoother and more fluid. This is because i have been doing fire and am trying to make my routine look more poetic. Just my style. Been doing a lot of slow contact stuff to that end. Not tricks in and of them selves.

2) I have been extending my repertoir of performances , and learning staff, poi, and meteor. This takes a lot of my time. So for now, I have to be content to see what you guys are coming up with. Don't fret, if I come up with anything amazing for you, I'll keep you up to speed:)

We are all atheists, some of us just believe in fewer gods than others. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
-Stephen F. Roberts

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
This is just a question i suppose to evildman and to any one else that reads this. (dsads!) why do you have a routine? I have never considered having one. I have series of nice tricks that i like but no 3~4 minute routine as such. I don't on the rare occasions i perform.
Does it benefit you? And if so how?

Tennis

Evildmanmember
46 posts

Posted:
Actually, I do not have any type of coreographed routine at all. What I meant by that post was that i am smoothing out all of my tricks, and more importantly my transitions. Most of my tricks/transitions at this point are fluid enough that you cannot see a beginning or end of each move. However I believe in being able to do this from almost any trick to any other, and in as many directions and flowing combinations as possible.

This is what I have been spending my time on. I guess you could kind of call it the DS equivalent to Liquid dancing. I am looking for the smooth phsical poetry look, as that is the kind of art I think looks and feels the best for me.

I am also working on this for all other props I am learning. This is why in staff I am working mostly Contact moves.

We are all atheists, some of us just believe in fewer gods than others. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
-Stephen F. Roberts

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Well, like you guys i also dont have a routine. I think they deffinately have their place, if you are doing a performance, it stops you getting stuck in the rut of a few tricks, being repated over and over. However i prefer not having a routine as this allows for mistakes to be covered more easily and a lack of routine i find, makes those accidents which become new and wicked tricks happen more often!

Like you Evildman, i have been mostly just fine tuning my existing repetoire, inspiration has been a little scarce this month. That and a case of getting used to using my Aerotec!

Respect and well wishes.

Ads

Is that magnets!?

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I get you.
apologies for not posting i have lost all inspiration for the devilsticks recently it happens every now and again. I'm spinning poi alot at the moment though.
It'll come back.

Mr dsads i think i will be in London for the david blaine, or tw*t as i like to call him, finale. Not cos i want to see him but it gives me a reason to go to London so maybe we could hook up for a sesh.
I'll let you know more when i do.

Tennis

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Wicked Tennis!

Deffinately up for the session, just let me know

Oh, and where is it you are based? just wondering coz am down in Somerset this weekend. That round your way?

Take it easy

Ads

Is that magnets!?

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Sorry i'm not around there. I kind of float around a bit. I'm in Manchester til next Saturday and then i'm in Cornwall for a while then Amsterdam then pah who knows.
I'll let you know when i'm around we could try and hit a poi in the park or something?

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
just a quick bump up, alas no ideas today

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Ok Tennis i think you'll like this one: Buzz saw isolations!

Basically you grip the DS in a buzzsaw position at one end and rotate your hands in a circle away from you. If you do the underarm flick over the shoulder the grip is the same as that.

If ya want clarification will have another go at explaining.

Ads

Is that magnets!?

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
A good friend of mine has a great style of devilsticking that I've never seen before. He holds the HSs in the middle, allowing for moves to be done on both sides. He moved back to Italy before I got around to completely figuring it out so at the moment I am unable to get smoothly in and out of it.
Ok, lets see if I can explain it... Holding your right HS in the centre, place the DS below you little finger, between the bottom half of the HS and the bottom edge of your hand. Hold the DS in place by pressing it between your hand and the HS. You should be able to hold the DS in place with your thumb pointing towards the ceiling and the DS below your hand.
So thats the hold.
Now rotate your hand (and the DS with it)so that your hand ends up with the thumb pointing towards the floor and the DS rotates around the bottom half of the stick(which is now pointing towards the ceiling. Before the DS then falls rotate your hand around again so that you reach the starting position...and continue
this is very hard to explain in words so ask away if you don't understand something.

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
So like the wrist trap this guy is doing: https://www.devilstick.de/english/animationen/tricks/trick046.htm

But rather than the throw, a roll round the wrist, which is done continuously round the same wrist?

I think i get it?

Ads

Is that magnets!?

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
In the move I am describing above the DS doesn't go around the wrist, instead it spins parrallel to your arm, horizontal to your body.
DS always touches the bottom of your hand (opposite side of hand to your thumb)and the bottom half of your DS.
I will try to expain it better.
When I do this move I use my right HS (although left can be used too).
1. hold HS at it's halfway point. HS points towards floor and ceiling.
2(I am unsure how to move smoothly in and out of this move yet, maybe you can figure it out)place the DS roughly halfway between the lower half of your HS and your wrist...
3....then hold the DS by angling the bottom half of the HS towards your wrist - trapping the DS against the bottom of your hand.The DS and HS should now make a "+" in front of you.
4.spin the DS to your right. The path of the DS goes under your arm, around until after 180 degrees your hand is turned unside down - DS on top, thumb pointing towards floor.
5.DS keeps turning , as it moves around the HS turn your hand with it just before the DS falls, back into position described in 3.

You should be able to do this move smoothly, 360 degrees brings you back to the start posittion.
I'm not sure if that helps at all....
I have some terribly drawn pictures that I did in MS paint with a touchpad mouse of this move in parts 3 and 4
give me a shout if you want me to email you them, I'm not sure if they'll be any help, but you're welcome to them

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Ok got it, what u are describing is a back of the HS Curl. The "curl" bit describes the arm motion. This movement can also be done with the front of the HS's and also on the front with a finger pin.

I find the best ways to get smoothly into this is to pop the DS up from helicopter with one hand then catch the DS with the opposite hand but back of the HS and straight into the above trick. Alternatively you can transfer a helicopter from one HS (front) to the other (back) into the trick.

Hope this helps

Ads

Is that magnets!?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
don't know if you guys have seen this page but its pretty good, especially for devilsticking jugglers...

a page from the internet
EDITED_BY: coleman (1072100624)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Bump.

Winter has come, and inspiration has fled!

But hey my juggling is better for it! biggrin

Ads ubbrollsmile

Is that magnets!?

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
you could also check devilsticking.org its a new site so it only has a few tricks, meaning you should all go post your favorites!

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*Bump for gsv-sleeper-service*

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
Kolong
Was your Italian friend holding his hand sticks in the middle with just as much behind his hand as infront? This has several advantages for devilsticking. Firstly you have more controll over the stick as a small hand movement only results in a small stick movement. Where as holding them at the very ends means that if you move you hand a little the stick moves alot. Secondly if your HS is in the middle you can trap the stick between the back half of the hand stick and your wrist in a Wrist trap. Mushypea steve taught me this ages ago the first week i learnt and it has easily become my favorite trick. There are literally enbdless possiblities from it. Such as arm rolls into wrist traps, inverse wrist traps, upsidedown wrist traps, continus wrist traps, continus armroll wrist traps, double wrist traps, hand stick throws to wrist traps, heli wrist traps anyway i think my point has been made (there are more). Also holding the HS in the middle allows for you to perform spazz hands (crap name i know but if you try it you'll understand) which i've posted about on another devilstick post just search. I can explian some tricks if you want just ask which ones via this forum or a PM.

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and you can do all those traps with clubs too biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: