Forums > Other Toys > Devil Sticks (definitive moves/tricks)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Ok tonight I went through all the animations on devilstick.de and I thought i'd get this thread up and running with a couple of moves I didn't see displayed on it.

To go in to the saw from a helicopter: start with the heli and have the sticks close to each other and almost contacting the devil, then allow the hand sticks to contact and wrap around the devil while crossing over, the devil should get caught in a V, move the hand sticks/(V)upwards; now depending on whether you do this last bit above or below the central axis of the devil you can get it to spin either way for your prefered saw direction.

I guess it's in the heli family, what to call it?
start with a heli (I do generally do it ccw) and when you hit it with your right handstick give it a bit extra so it does 1 full rotation, catch and hit it with the left hand stick (another 1 full rotation) and repeat vice-versa continuously. I guess it's sort of an alternating outside-inside heli move.
Tip: Your hand/sticks should move from low-high and from the side to in front of your body.

Did that make sense, if not i'll try and explain when straight,

S#!t, proof reading on the grey and I already found 1 sentence that didn't make sense

[ 09. January 2003, 08:44: Message edited by: JeStEr ]

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Looks like it's just me and you Jester!! I will try to write any other tricks i can and cannot do that come to mind. so here go's..

Neck roll
going from the idle (i never use 'devilsticking language so i will be happy to clear up if necessary') carry on but raise your arms up and in towards your chest. This is where it gets tricky half flip the devil, watching your face! but instead of catching it back on your hand stick lean forward and stand like those footballers do when they are balancing the ball on their neck. Now hopefully the momentum will make the devil stick roll round your neck and fall back down for you to amazingly catch the devil on your other hand stick. This move sounds really silly but after time you can pick it up and not need to lean forward so much then it looks really f*****g good.

NOTE: this can be done with dreadlocks and long hair, i've seen it!

Next..

really easy given time

another idle trick simply throw the hand stick that has just touched the devil so that it flips 180 degrees and catch it then the other stick will be free and do it with that hand?? bloody hell that made no sense at all i'll try again.
start by just tapping the stick back and forth but when you have just used your left hand stick toss it round so its spins 180 degrees which means you will b holding the other end. try and repeat this with the right handstick and continue until everybody goes wow. if that doesn't make any sense i will try to clarify again.

Another on is done during any high throw just rpractice throwing both handsticks and catching them withthe alternative hand. left handstick to right and right handstick to left.

And the last one requires boots with quite good soles on them.read on to find out kids.... while doing the helicopter (one/two handed, contact it doesn't matter) turn to one side slightly and lift your foot up so the heel of your shoe is pointing up and is underneath the devil's centre. just throw the devil up a very little bit and let it drop down to your heel. the centre of the devil must hit the most 'pointy' part of your heel. the corner of your sole. Then just give it a little kick back up and hey presto you've either hit yourself in the face or someone else until you get really good at it the trick is to try to make the devil 'bounce' off your shoe not force it.

i hope they make sense if not specify which bits and i'll see what i can do.

Tennis

My cat's breath smells like catfood

FireFly Guymember
49 posts

Posted:
Hey,

Another one similar to that last one in Tennis' post is to start with the 'heli' and simply let it drop toward the ground and kick it back up into the standard 'heli'.

For those of you who dig Quotes: be true, be real, be a cool cat and your fire shall burn bright through all of your experiences in life and in death

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
My favourite thing with devilstick at the mo is spinning around whilst do different tricks a nice on e can be to keep the stick spinning in the same place by prop/saw whilst circling the stick taking one hit every 90 degrees.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
sounds interesting mr jim bombadil could you go into more detail i kind of over did it last night and i think i'll need everything spelt out in layman's terms for a long long time.

Tennis

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Yeah i'm a bit to, do you mean you spin around 360 with a propeller/saw, and only use 4 hits as you spin a full circle? i've tried it and have trouble changing direction and keeping the momentum going, it seems to want to turn into a heli. I can do that though, spin around 360 with a heli quite quickly.

P.S. has anyone else got the btb heli down pat, I can do it about 9/10 and consider it one of the hardest tricks I know.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
haven't even tried yet still battling with neck rolls...but just for you i'll start trying.

Tennis

FireFly Guymember
49 posts

Posted:
Am almost there with the BTB Heli move. Yes, I'd agree that it is by far the hardest move I know of.

Has any one tried to go from the heli into a leg wrap while the leg is still on the groung. Have been tying for a while now and can't quite get there. Hints anyone?

For those of you who dig Quotes: be true, be real, be a cool cat and your fire shall burn bright through all of your experiences in life and in death

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
The btb heli often getss ohhhs and ahhhs from the crowd too

with an around the leg wrap/spin the only thing I can think of that might help is to slightly move the leg around in a cicular motion, (similar to what the handstick does with the propeller), hope this helps as I havn't got it either.

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
Let me think i start idle, hit once with left hand and turn 90 anti clockwise and take the under arm hit of the circular saw whilst turning the next 90. Carry on turning and take the next strike of the circular saw from the oposite side and carry on back to idle. Does this make sense? Its similar to over the sholder throws from circular saw but you just don't stay in the saw at all.

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
fire fly, wear tight trousers

FireFly Guymember
49 posts

Posted:
but Tight Trousers are you know....TIGHT,
I think that goes against my religion or something.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
only do performances in fetish clubs that way you can wear tight pvc trousers! Worked for me!

As i'm nowhere near being able to do the behind the back heli but have wanted to do that leg wrap thing with my foot on the floor, does any one know how you flick the devil back up?

Tennis

FireFly Guymember
49 posts

Posted:
My thought was to simply catch the devilstick after it had done the full rotation.
It has got to be possible doesn't it?

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
My *flashy* (for want of a better word) start with my fire devil stick is to have both handsticks in one hand (weak hand) and use the devil stick like a small fire staff for around 10 - 15 seconds then hoist it as high as I can in either a heli or propeller plane spin and catch in to the start of my routine.

Tennis and FireFly Guy - with the whole kicking thing it's really only good with wooden sticks - I found the temptation to 'give it some air' warped my aluminium fire devil stick. I hated that stick anyway and it gave me a good excuse to buy a more expensive, tapered, wooden one

My only addition on that train of thought that I can really only do about 3 or 4 in a row is using the devil like a hacky sack and doing 180 - 360 spins from foot to foot without the hand sticks. I always figured any stalls or other hacky stile moves would look gnarly if pulled off real smooth in the middle of a routine.

Full kudos to those of you getting *any* behind the back stuff - I'm not flexible enough at the moment. Too chubby

Anyone here have a friend who is at a standard good enough to play jollystick with? I don't know anyone who does devilstick and it would be sooooooo cool to play that game.

[ 27. January 2003, 16:06: Message edited by: BEZERKER ]

FireFly Guymember
49 posts

Posted:
Firstly, Jollystick? What in the name of anything fire retardant is that?

Secondly, I've figured out how to make a relatively cheap set of those tapered wooden devilsticks. All you need is the right equipment, which, at my place of enployment, is any piece of eqiupment I could ever need. Yay for me.

Thirdly, PVC trousers when performing with fire....., I don't think so. The words whooof and SH*T + other expletives that shouldn't be mentioned here come to mind.

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
FireFly Guy,

For an explanation of the rules of Jollystick see this website Slightly camp looking but very talented dude with a pretty yellow head band!

Basically it's a game of badminton with a devil stick. Two players get ONE handstick each. One player 'serves' and they pass the devil stick back and forth until someone drops the devil stick. You have something like 45 seconds each time the devilstick comes over the net to recover and play your shot - obviously not being allowed to touch or catch the devil stick with your hands.

It looks like really good fun and a great game for skills - like playing weak handed to strengthen your less favored hand. Unfortunately I don't know any other devil stick folk and haven't had an opportunity to play it yet.

FireFly Guymember
49 posts

Posted:
I'd wondered what that was when I last visited devilstick.de. Looks like fun. I've had a couple of sessions with a friend where we both had two hand sticks and passed the devilstick back and foward. I is kinda hard to get the hang of.
Where are you at where you don't know anyone else who does the D sticks?

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
I saw 2 guys at confest last easter doing that jollystick thing only they both had 2 hand sticks and were just passing then doing tricks, would like to give it a try sometime.

Ok was working on the around the leg wrap/spin from a heli tonight and it keeps getting caught at the back of my knee, aarrrgghhhh

On another note I've been playing hacky sack as long as I've been devilsticking and tonight I adapted the behind then over the back stall from hacky to the devil, it seems to work really well,
I'm left footed so to do it I hold the devil on the hand sticks out in front relativly horizontal with the right side of the devil pointed slightly foward and a touch higher, then just let it drop onto your foot and swing the leg behind you and up.
havn't caught it yet but I was inside so all the good ones that would come back around over your head ended up hitting the roof *duck & cover*

worked 4 me

FireFly Guymember
49 posts

Posted:
I've always been trying that leg wrap from heli around my calves just below the knee. The problem I have is that I run out of room to catch it as it come around the outside of my leg. It is hard to explain but as you experiment the problems will become clearer and more difficult to figure out.

Perseverance is it man.

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
to learn behind the back you need to buy a can of beans of any discription and pass it around your body for a week after that it'll be easyer

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Evening all i think i'm slightly wandering off the current btb thread but i was wondering if you guys could give me any inspiration. Being the only guy who can devilstick around my local area i therefore become the best one too. The only problem is i'm not brilliant and i've kind of hit a stage where i now have to start the 'second level' of tricks. I can quite honestly say i can do pretty much everything i have seen in the idle plane but apart form the basic helicopter tricks i'm starting to run out of ideas for new tricks that will help me progress to the kind of btb and other more complex tricks. As for the saw tricks i can saw backwards and forwards and use either end of the hand sticks to keep it moving but apart from that i'm at a loss. This wouldn't be too bad if i had a computer at home but alas not. So do you people out there have any suggestions to help me progress on to harder things.
I can do things like tapped heli's, curls, throws but after that i start to run out of ideas.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Tennis

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
It is a funny one the devil stick, its not the most popular of toys. I usually meet another devil sticker once in a blue moon but this is nice we see a new style or a different trick and then youv'e got a some time to get it good. Try and use your imagination with tricks, Play, is there another variation of what you all ready can do, will it go clockwise and anti clock wise? Can you pass it from one stick to the other and back, can you make a patern out of 2 or more tricks which you can repeat again and again. I only just realised last weekend that I could cross my arms now I'm wondering what can come of that. Theres loads you can do.

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
well there's the vert plane and the heli/horizontal plane, I found if you want to try and see a few more dimensions as it were to the devil sticks; perhaps try getting into the diagonal plane and passing back and forth with hits (little as possible continued contact to the hand - sticks).

good luck

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Ha ha ha ha ha got the behind the back heli yesterday, same day i got the btb 5 beat weave on my poi stoked. ( Sorry had to tell someone ) JeStEr (i'm always confused with the capitals in order i think that's right!) could you explain the 'diagonal thing' a bit more. Do you guys use fire?

Tennis.

'i bent my wookie'

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Congrats on your new moves

Well what I meant with the diagonal plane is that at some stage between doing the tick-tock (vertical) and going into a heli (horizontal) by moving 1 hand-stick forward and the other 1 back, you'll find it's more on a diagonal plane and once it's there try keeping it in that plane while doing hits etc, (I know that it's pretty hard to get the heli plane perfect so that it's always exactly horizontal to the ground but you know what i'm getting at right? like I find when I do the fast curl it seems to be more diagonal than horizontal.

Started using fire devils about six months after I 1st got into devil sticks, so yep, fire it is.

[ 11. February 2003, 13:29: Message edited by: JeStEr ]

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Ah i see what you mean, i have been trying quite a few tricks in this 'plane' but i have been trying double arm 'wraps' and almost getting them. They are amazing when done. I'm left handed but i will try to reverse everything for you presuming you are righties. spin the devil around your left handstick but hold the hand stick vertically at just above head hight. When the devil loses momentum and slides down the handstick slightly lean forward from the waist and bend your elbow slightly too with the momentum and the stance you are in the natural course for the devil to take is from around your wrist finishing the first revolution at your elbow and then around your elbow and bicep until it casually drops down in the idle 'plane'. this is one of my favourite tricks when i can pul it off.

That's me done

Tennis

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Anyone experimented with using the wick on the devilstick as a tool for fire breathing i'm still a bit scared as the wick is a little bit too big for my liking. But i think it would look amazing dropped into a routine.

Tennis

We can all be sure of one thing.
We are all going to die.
I'm going out in style.

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
soz guys. meant to continue on this post and not start a new topic!
Oh well!

Is that magnets!?

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Been a while since I've wandered in to this post (what a deadbeat).

FireFly Guy - I live in Sydney and as it was said by Jim Bombadil, I only meet devil stickers once in every blue moon.

tennis - I used fire a month after buying my fire devilstick. Never have owned flower sticks or non-fire sticks either. In hindsight, I wish I had some flower sticks for learning with but in some ways learning without that slowed effect has been beneficial (some flowerstick owners I've spoken too say normal devils are too hard!).

I have also pretty much exclusively used my devilstick for fire breathing. In some ways the bigger wick is good allowing for more space between my lips and the flame. I wouldn't suggest trying to fire breath unless you're confidant but can be satisfying when you do it well. I've only incorporated it in to a routine as a finishing move once or twice though - holding fuel in your mouth for *any* length of time is unpleasant.

Take it easy tricksters, DsAds welcome to the board and the fellow devilstickers conversation

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
just a quicky, with the tricks where you catch the devil between your wrist and the bottom of the hand stick in idle, try to catch by going over the top of the the devil instead. This can lead on to some really nice arm wrapsand also for these strange kind of stally things. I think once you try them you will know what i mean.

Another new one (this is going to be so hard to describe) in idle again, tappig the devil from left to right. As soon as the devil has made contact with the right stick QUICKLY put your left stick under your right hand and put the hand stick over the devil. Then simply push down with the left hand and up with the right. The 'mess' will untangle and the devil will be back in the idle. This trick looks really good if you just throw the devil straight after this trick. If youneed more clarification i'll try if necessary.

Tennis

it's never to rainy to play in the park

Page: