Forums > Social Chat > SHow in The United Arab Emirates..Question

Login/Join to Participate

Doniamember

Posted:
My group has been asked to do a show there and with everything that has been going on I am a little concerned for the safety of my group while there.Have any of you ever performed there? Any advice??Thanks,DoniaIgnis Devoco Industrial Fire Circuswww.ignisdevoco.com"Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame."Rumi

Donia Love
Ignis Devoco Industrial Fire Circus

Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame.
Rumi

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Sorry Donia, haven't actually performed there, but I would seriously only take new toys or wicks on the plane trips, and leave them there when you come back.Any fuel residue and other things might be a major problem with aircraft security.Also, if you have serious misgivings, even if you feel they are unfounded, it may pay to talk about it with the troupe/other person and maybe even stay home.but if you are all ok with it, talk to a tourism offcial or even an embassy about the correct way to act, there are a lot of cultural issues that are easy to get wrong, especially (unfortunately) if you are female.Play safe, with fire and travel...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Chris @ Fireworksmember
4 posts

Posted:
Hi Donia,i know where your coming from. We've been getting a whole heap of interest from countries like UAE, Saudi, Turkey, India and Indonesia, which are all hot spots at the moment if your a westerner or especially American. I cant even get an overseas extention on any of the insurance policies for the group, if going to these countries. One of our belly dancers Monica, has recently been back from working in Turkey and Oman and said it's probably not a good idea to be traveling to these countries at the moment. I dont know. I really want to work but it may just be too much. Keep us up to date on how it pans out for you.C'ya, Chris @ FireWork.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
chris, I'm really surprised to hear your friend Monica's opinion about not travelling to Turkey and Oman. I mean; I have no idea anything about Oman but I know Turkey well cos' I've been living here since I was born and don’t think you’ll get trouble here if you’re westerner or American. I don’t know what made her thinking that way… I only know that nothing happening here at the moment... Just relax smile

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
The UAE has always been friendly to everyone, mainly as Western money is as good as everyone elses's wink I don't think you'll get any problems at all over there. You're probably best off asking the foriegn office (don't know what the US version is called) for advice on travelling to the UAE.I've flown abroad a few times since the 11th, both times with used fire poi and staff (collapseable) wrapped up really well in plastic in my suitcase. No problems at all.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Chris @ Fireworksmember
4 posts

Posted:
Glad to hear that Bulent. I think Mon's views may have also come from her experiences as an attractive western woman, overseas as well. That's why i'm in 2 minds about it all.I don't have too much of a problem myself, but i'm concerned for those i travel with. We've worked too damn hard at this for far too long, and i'll be buggered if i'm gonna let this shit get in the way. Everyone just needs to chill out. I'm a part time postman too, so with having to deal with anthrax scares and this, i'm gonna go bush me thinks.But seriously, i would love to hear some other views and news on O/S work.Chris @ FireWorks.www.fireworksdance.com.au

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
hmm... is it just me, or did the last line of Bulent's post make anyone else nervous?eek.

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
The State Department's web page on UAE advises caution for Americans travelling in that country. Have a look and judge for yourself: https://travel.state.gov/uae.html

Doniamember

Posted:
Protozoa,I really, really appreciate you forwarding me this information... It will be beneficial to us in making our decsion to do this show. I have been in contact with the client and also expressed my concerns about our safety...Again I am really thankful you posted this.SIncerely,DoniaIgnis Devoco Industrial FIre Circuswww.ignisdevoco.com"Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame"Rumi

Donia Love
Ignis Devoco Industrial Fire Circus

Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame.
Rumi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Fine 7 year bump!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude