Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
How did you guys get started into this wonderful field of fire play and spinning? And how far have you taken it? I've noticed three distict starting points and a distict ending point for most. I had a huge list of them but it was too labeling and I want to hear from you guys. Myself and the others that I've met in ohio. Seem to have learned this on thier own and have an insane urge to push the limits and control the uncontrolable. To us it isn't just about poi it's about the controling of fire and to what extents we can push it and come out unburned. A good example of this is when over this weekend I tried juggling knotted up wicks with bare hands.The three main points I've found have been.Burning manRavesSolo growth.I've noticed that the ppl who started on thier own seem to take it to higher levels then the others. And they have an ugre to perform. Anyone else notice this?Are there any other starting points and what are your guys take on the ending points of these beginings? Does how you started determine how far you will want to go with the art?------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
I just really love fire. I used to be a volunteer fire fighter, but that was crap coz i was extinguishing fire. When a friend of mine started doing staff, i really liked that but wanted to do my own thing....so poi it was.Cheers

Good on usGood on us all

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I thought it was kung fu, we started lighting our chain whips on fire (tie on sock, soak in gasoline...) so we could see them while practicing at night, and because it is quite a rush...then we found out other people do this stuff. MMMM, fire! The only reason I have taken it to a higher level is because I am addicted to poi spinning, like a nervouse twitch habit. And it is realy coooool to entertain people. I just have to try and not let it go to my head, you know, getting famouse and all that (LOL) well, not yet, but maybe some day...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
I'm one of Knagi's Ohio people that likes to push it. I personally don't think there is an end to it. It's been said alot on different threads "If you can think it up you can do it." the options are limitless. It might mean reinventing the wheel but it all can be done. Alot of people over the years have also told me that you need to find one thing that your good at, and then become the best at it and the rest will fall into place. My father also gave me a peice of advice along these lines "No matter how good you get at anything never concider yourself the best, because there is always someone who wants it more then you do." So I guess it comes down to this, how bad do you want it? If you want it to end, it ends. If you keep pushing it and constantly improve it's never going to end and where that can take you is anyones guess. grin ------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
How I got into fire is really weird, well, weird compared to a lot of other's stories which tend to be people seeing others doing fire,being impressed and then trying themselves.I was at the local juggling club in Auckland and just picked a brand new firestaff with no fuel on it and had a little play.I kept playing with different moves and stuff for about half an hour and then bought it.The fire thing had nothing to do with why i started firedancing, it was all about the manipulation of the prop that I enjoyed.And then, a month later, when i lit up for the first time, I fell in love again...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?