CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Just wondering, can anyone tell me why the internet communities use "lol" to express laughter ?really curiousShine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
laugh(ing) out loudHow often do you really actually laugh out loud - usually only if something is really funny------------------Well my thinking is this: if it's empty, fill it with cream

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
lol - Laugh Out Loadlmao - Laff My Ass Offlmfao - give ya one guess! wink...i'm sure there's a web page with all this on somewhere...------------------We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

4,224 posts

Posted:
Thanks !!!I am actually stunned to see how english speakers love to use these abbreviations...IMO = In my OpinionIRL = In real lifeOTC = Over the CounterWhat else ?shine onCassandra

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
rofl or rotfl(mao) = rolling on the floor laughing (my ass off)

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
afk - away from keyboard (to explain why you're not talking)bbl - be back laterbtw - by the waybrb - be right backafaik - as far as i knowimho - in my humble opinionwtf - what the f???etc! I'm sure lotsa people here could add to these. If you like that sort of thing try a search, there are bound to be websites devoted to the phenomenon of web acronyms.I like them, it's like an evolved form of typed language. In the same way that natural speech has shortcuts and conventions that differ from 'correct' english.

4,224 posts

Posted:
I thought it was not only created by internet though. Isn't it in the movie "Good Morning Vietnam" that they make fun of these abbreviations ?To french frogs like me, they are a real mystery sometimes... I am intrigued...whoever feels like it, please tell me more. But Sandman, I promise I'll do a web search as well wink thanks for the help !Shine onCassandra

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
nfw (no i dont think so)i cant work out whats going on sometimes. its all french to me wink

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
You know the old joke, popular among computer people. If someone asks the significance of ROM, OCR, CAD, CAM, WWW or whatever you just say 'Oh, it's a TLA' (three letter acronym). Not so much funny as irritating.Another one, popular among lazy support staff, is RTM (read the manual) or, among less patient support staff, RTFM!

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
fwiw (for what it's worth), iirc (if i recall correctly), in a job at an electronics firm some years ago, I'd sometimes explain that we hadn't sent someone's stuff out yet because we were waiting for a delivery of LRF's.Little Rubber Feet.then put the phone down and roflmao, of course.Historical note - a lot of these abbreviations are now used to save typing, but gained popularity in the days of the 300 baud modem, when you could save several *minutes* of phone time by abbreviating everything. Wouldn't surprise me if they're a telegraph thing originally stopmikeyB

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429499175)

4,224 posts

Posted:
yep, definitely LOL, Mickey B and sandman must be fun working with you !!!I think I might use this myself ... yep, definitely usefull trick !!!Shine onCassandar

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
AIDADISAMFOSVFP=All i do all day is sit a make fun of some very funny people.ILYSMIJHTSI=I love you so much i just had to say it. winkCheers APB

Good on usGood on us all

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
My 2 personal favs are RTFM (read the F@#$%'N manual) and BRBAFKH2P (be right back, away from keyboard have to pee)I work in tech support and answer the phone all day. smileOh and to talk to other tech's while standing in a customers cubicle "Hey, I have a CBT with a HP VL computer that is FUBAR!"CBT- Cucklehead Behind TerminalFUBAR - F!@#$ed Up Beyond All Recognition------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
PLEASE DO NOT USE THESE ANYOTHER TIME THEN ON IM.........example, my bud at school was on im day in day out. so much that he used them in everday speach. like if he came to see me and had to leave for a second he would say " oh laurie b-r-b." and left. i smacked my forehead and tried not to let it rot my brain. and he wouldn't laugh, he would giggle and say l-o-l. i fear for his life.------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Kosmik Lunatikmember
58 posts

Posted:
I always thought lol meant "lots of love"guess thats just me.

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
Cass, you're right - Americans were obsessed with acronyms way before the advent of the internet. The military and technology sectors have always been big on abbreviating stuff, and a lot of it carried over. Some of them became so common that people started forgetting they weren't words. Like...snafu=Situation Normal All F***ed Up (my personal favorite)scuba=Self Contained Underwater Breathing ApparatusI know there are more, but I can't think of them. grin

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
My personal favourite is one which has only recently sprung up in the UK:PMSL = Pissing My Self LaughingI myself use these all to frequently and regularly have to restrain myself from say LOL when talking to people in the real world. TY = Thank YouYVW = You're Very Welcomeand one invented by my friendGLASG/B = Giggling Like A School Girl/Boy------------------C@ntus

Meh

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
NASA has a manual full of acronyms, something like 50 per page, both sides, and well over 500 pages long (perhaps much longer - I haven't seen it in a decade - maybe it is just a database now). Before you put an acronym on something, you have to check the manual to make sure that anything else that might have that same acronym is not still in service.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Oh, just remembered classic from IT support days:"yeah, this one looks like a PEBCAK"ProblemExistsBetweenChairAndKeyboardmikeyB

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
I'm a tech support monkey too, an old one....tell the user it's an 'id ten t' fault, then tell them to write it down if they don't get it. (works better verbally!) grinM
Non-Https Image Link
------------------"To seek the perfection of the warrior's spirit is the only task worthy of our temporariness, and our manhood" Carlos Castenada

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

poiboymember
22 posts

Posted:
right on don juan!hey, how about that stupid j/k (just kidding), it's getting so popular that people actually SAY "j-k" (around here at least).cassandra- yeah, it was Good Morning Vietnam.i don't tend to use many abbreviations because it makes me feel erudite.heh

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
I always read it as 'Lots of Laughs'Coz on the first Chat room I ever went too, when I first started using the internet many years ago, it had it as that.------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Rolphmember
22 posts

Posted:
Found this list in a chatroom Q&A today if anybody's still interested.AFAIC As Far As I'm Concerned AFAIK As Far As I Know AFK Away From Keyboard AISI As I See It ANFAWFOS And Now For A Word From Our Sponsor ASAP As Soon As Possible ASAFP As Soon As Friggin' Possible AWGTHTGTTA Are We Going To Have To Go Through This Again? AWGTHTGTATA Are We Going To Have To Go Through ALL This Again? B4 Before BBIAB Be Back In A Bit BBL Be Back Later BBSTYWTCMDJBAP Be Back Sooner Than You Would Think, Considering My Dog Just Bit A Policeman BCNU Be Seeing You BNF Big Name Fan BOT Back On Topic BRB Be Right Back BTW By The Way BTWBO Be There With Bells On CFD Call For Discussion CFV Call For Vote CIAO Goodbye (Italian) CUL Catch You Later CUL See You Later CUL8R See You Later CWYL Chat With You Later DDD Direct Distance Dial (as in the phone system) DILLIGAD Do I Look Like I Give A Darn?! FTASB Faster Than A Speeding Bullet FTL Faster Than Light FUBAR Fouled Up Beyond All Repair FUBB Fouled Up Beyond Belief FWIW For What It's Worth FYI For Your Information GFC Going For Coffee GIGO Garbage In, Garbage Out GIWIST Gee, I Wish I'd Said That GMTA Great Minds Think Alike! HAK Hugs And Kisses HHOK Ha, Ha, Only Kidding HHO1/2K Ha, Ha, Only Half Kidding HTH Hope this Helps! HUA Heads Up, Ace IAC In Any Case IANAL I Am Not A Lavfyer IBTD I Beg To Differ IITYWTMWYKM If I Tell You What This Means Will You Kiss Me? IITYWIMWYBMAD If I Tell You What It Means Will You Buy Me A Drink? IIWM If It Were Me (Mine) ILSHIBAMF I Laughed So Hard I Broke All My Furniture! IMHO In My Humble Opinion IMNSHO In My Not So Humble Opinion IMRO In My Royal Opinion INPO In No Particular Order IOW In Other Words KISS Keep It Simple, Stupid LD Long Distance LLTA Lots and Lots of Thunderous (or Thundering) Applause LMAO Laughing my A** off LOL Laughing Out Loud LTIP Laughing Til' I Puke MTFBWY May The Forse Be With You NFW No Friggin' Way !! NFI No Friggin' Idea N'SP Nobody'S Perfect OAUS On An Unrelated Subject OATUS On A Totally Unrelated Subject OBTW Oh, By The Way OTOH On The Other Hand OTOOH On The Other Other Hand OTTOMH Off The Top Of My Head ONNA Oh No, Not Again ONNTA Oh No, Not This Again OOTC Obligatory On-Topic Comment OWTTE Or Words To That Effect OZ Australia PPP Petty Pet Peeve POTS Plain Old Telephone Service POV Point Of View PMIGBOM Put Mind In Gear, Before Opening Mouth ROFL Rolling On Floor Laughing! ROFLGO Rolling On Floor Laughing Guts Out! ROFLASTC Rolling On Floor Laughing And Scaring The Cat! ROFLMAO Rolling On Floor Laughing My A** Off ROTFL Rolling On The Floor Laughing! ROTFBTC Rolling On The Floor Biting The Carpet ROTFLBTCACTC Rolling On the Floor Biting The Carpet And Scaring The Cat ROTFLBTCASTCIIHO Rolling On The Floor, Laughing, Biting The Carpet And Scaring The Cat If I Had One RSN Real Soon Now RTFM Read The Freaking Manual! RTFMA Read The Friggin' Manual, Again RTWFQ Read The Whole Friggin' Question (a pers TRIV fave) RYFM Read Your Friggin' Manual! RYS Read Your Screen SAPFU Surpassing All Previous ?Foul? Ups SICS Sitting In Chair Snickering SF Science Fiction or Spesulative Fantasy SMTWGWLAF Slapping My Thighs Whiße Giggling Wildly Like A Fool SMTWTFS Slapping My Thighs While Terribly Foolishly Snickering SnailMail The U. S. Postal Service SNAFU Situation Normal, All Fouled Up SOL S*** Out Of Luck SWAG Super Wild A** Guess SWEG Scientific Wild Eyed Guess TANSTAAFL There Ain?t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch TARFU Things Are _Really_ Fouled Up THANX Thanks TNX Thanks TTFN Ta Ta For Now TTYAWFN Talk To You A While From Now TTYL Talk To You Later TYCLO Turn Your CAPS LOCK Off (Quit Shouting) WAG Wild A** Guess WGAS Who Gives A S*** WT Without Thinking WTTM Without Thinking Too Much WNOHGB Where No One Has Gone Before

4,224 posts

Posted:
Rolph ! you are my heroe ! thanks a lot !Shine onCassandra