Forums > Social Chat > Practice with your eyes shut

Login/Join to Participate

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
It may seem perverse for such a visual art, but I was just having one of my mini-practices, and I decided to try twirling with my eyes shut. This was really cool. I was more aware of what my body was doing, what my muscles were doing, and I wasn't screwing up more than usual (except for btb butterflies, for some reason). Try it--it feels good. Perhaps this is something everyone else is already hep to, but I thought I'd mention it.There's another discussion going on about how we learn movements--whether it's an intuitive or explicit understanding. I think we all have different learning styles--for me, it helps to understand "Ok, left hand up and forward now, then right hand" and that sort of thing (it also helps me figure out how to transpose to the other side or opposite direction). But I do think we ultimately need to get the moves in our bones, so to speak. And I think twirling blind might help.------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
I actually discovered that there were some new moves that I was trying that I actually couldn't do with my eyes open at first, because my visual perception was messing me up. ie- When I was just starting out, I tried doing the weave while leaning back limbo fashion, until my head almost touched the ground. It was an interesting concept, only I kept messing up because I was used to watching the spirals showing up in relation to the ground in a certain way. When I would change positions, I kept leaving my arms behind, because I was basing movement on how the poi trails looked in relation to the ground instead of just how the movement **felt**. I kept wondering if I was retarded, until I tried the move with my eyes shut, and was successful. (And please- no comments on whether or not I actually am retarded. Ignorance is bliss, and I like my happy little world just the way it is...)And BTW, I can now do all kinds of variations on that simple move with my eyes open. The moral of the story is that sometimes what you're seeing really doesn't help...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think that with the eyes shut also helps to alert one to possible problematic areas. I am not the type who can break something apart and tell you left here and right there, which is why I describe body moves and not hand moves, and with your eyes closed you definately get a feel for those tricks that you know and those you thought you knew. It helps to give focus on what you might want to work on. Along Diana's wonderful idea of a practice log, I give myself 3 stars for those moves I can do well (pink for having the motions, orange for having them flow but still nicking myself, red for getting it fluid) and once I get the 3 stars I try it blindfolded (cause I admit I am a peeker). If I get the move then I give myself a gold star and okay myself to learn a new trick.You can do the same for the motions in a routine. If you can do the "routine" blind then you know it is performance ready, being very nearly second nature.I also tend to agree with Jesse that sometimes watching my hands is a major destraction.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh, I love this. I think this is an ace idea. I'm so into the body remembering what it's doing. That's how I get the most spontanaity, most in the flow, when I'm geared to how it feels not how it looks. This will help especially when playing with poi and I have to be sensitive to the momentum. Thanks!And, Pele, I'm so glad you found that idea useful and you've created a version of it that works for you. Meow. Diana

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
I do this too!!! It was the most important part ofteaching myself how to do poi. Now when I teach others I tell them to close there eyes so they can feel the movement and it tottaly works. That is awesome that others do this as well!!Donia"Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame."Rumi

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
wow there hasnt been a post in this thread for years!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

spaceySILVER Member
mischeivious pixie
291 posts

Posted:
i practice loads with my eyes shut, i find it really helps. not only to feel what my body is doing, but it helps me zone out into my own little poi world too.

"I dont want no fatty bumbum, i want a lean mean shagging machine" anon

"I'm sweet and wholesome with a little bit of filth thrown in"

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
It's the bodies kinesthetic feedback loop helping to re-affirm learning patterns. I use it when juggling blindfolded, it helps you to know where your body is in space at any given time without having to see. (with your eye's closed you can still tell when you put your hand in the air)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
this thread is really old, nice one.

I like to move and jump around a lot when I spin, its hard enough with my eyes open, with them closed I'm guaranteed to fall. Then again, I never watch my hands, I normally stare at the ground. But standing relatively still or turning on the same spot with eyes closed is great. Muscle-memory, fantastic!

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
i love watching my straff when im spinning, it can be my downfall when im doing burnoffs and i get a face full of fuel

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005