PlyflHartmember
7 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone, seen a gurl at an afterhrs bar/club about a month ago with these long white streemers. What she could do with them under black light was amazing and it made my heart soar. so i went out and bought a pair of my own, needless to say it's way harder than it looked... just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.. or knows of a url of a website that could help me learn.. thanks *lixx*

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
I would start at New Vistors under the sections heading of the Home page, then do I dare to say it...............the Poi Lessons section in big letters at the top of the page! wink

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

PlyflHartmember
7 posts

Posted:
*smiles* i went to the "poi lessons" link.. and looked all around there... just that streemer (long white dance ribbons) are quited different than glow sticks smile i also posted something in the "meet ppl" area too but thank you for responding *lixx*

PlyflHartmember
7 posts

Posted:
or am i wrong in thinking that the moves for streemers... are different from glowsticks? i mean... adviouly glow sticks are like a million times heavyier but are the movements the same? i'm not very good at all with glowsticks... the whole issue of wacking myself in the head isnt' quite worth it .. YET! smile gonna go get a pair of tennis balls and see how that werks.. still more interested in streemers at the moment smile anyone know of a helpfull link?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
PlyflHart,Answer your question, I should first define poi. I define it as basically ANYTHING you twirl around on a string/chain/rope. This includes, streamers, fire, glowsticks, and tennis balls. This web page (HOP - HomeOfPoi) is the absolute best place you could be on the Internet for learning how to do poi. Read the poi-lessons, and try them out with a set of tennis ball poi. They hurt a LOT less than glowsticks. Unless you are a massochist, in which case, add another glowstick to each poi and keep right on practicing. You can purchase streamers(comets), fire poi, and there are instructions on here on how to make tennis poi.I'd say start off with tennis poi, and start reading all the various discussion groups here. You'll learn quickly enough with daily practice.------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
When you say streamer, do you mean a long peice of ribbon on the end of a stick. Sort of like the gymnastic-event they have in the Olypics??Those things are cool. Id just keep the circles tight and your movements fast and crisp.Ive never seen a sight for something like that. Ill search and post it here if i come across one..Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

PlyflHartmember
7 posts

Posted:
yeah i'm reffering to the long gymnastic ones smile like i said..i watched this gurl werk with them on stage at The Warehouse here in Calgary and i was amazed.. but i can't for the life of me remember how to do any of the advanced (cooler) tricks that she did smile have to go back and ask her to show me... if i could werk up the nerve *smiles* thanks again *lixx*

nexus_sunmember
47 posts

Posted:
that would be the RIBBON from Rhythmic Gymnastics. The stick (diametre 1cm, length of 50 to 60cm) is usually made of bamboo, plastic or fiberglass. The ribbon is most often in satin, or a non-starched derivative. Its weight must not be more than 35gr., its width 4to6 cm and its length not more than 6 metres. The ribbon is long and light and may be thrown in all directions. Its function is to create designs in space. Its flights through the air make images and shapes of every kind. Figures of many different sizes are executed at varying rhythm. Snakes, spirals and throws are the essentials of the ribbon’s flight.nexus_sun