Forums > Social Chat > twirling skill = musical skill = mathematical skill???

Login/Join to Participate

Burntmember
13 posts

Posted:
Hi guys, Im new to HOP and twirling(4 months now) and i am interested to find out if twirlers in general have musical or mathematical ability. The reason i ask is cos my brother is a drummer and recently had a go of my poi and reckons the two are similar. Also, 'They' say musical & mathematical skill quite often go hand in hand. Ive always been good at maths and since i started twirling i feel like maths is getting easier (im studying engineering).Any thoughts?

Play with fire and you might get Burnt.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm okay at math, and can generally succeed at anything I put my mind to. But I don't think math has come any easier to me since I started poi. And I was a musician long before I ever even picked up my first set of glowsticks.... (: I'd have to say it helps me flow with the music better. I've always had a problem when dancing, I have always felt like I didnt know what to do with my arms. Poi solved that problem. :P------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Drummers? They don't count as musicians!! j/k winkNot so sure about the music link - the rhythm is a big part of what you need, and that is only a part of the music. Maths - yeah, I guess I have used maths for juggling and twirling to learn when to do things, but after a while they start to feel natural and I don't really think about the math.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
Nah. I am sooo crap at maths and have no musical ability. However, I can swing my hips to the best bass sounds and drums - well I really go for it. I have to say that im a pretty ok dancer. In fact i am trying to learn the jambe. I went to a festi and picked one up and started playing and i was really doing well. However, since then, I cant seem to string a beat together. Now if i could play the drum with my hips......

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
*shrug* got a friend whose always been great at juggling, etc. and is good at maths.im average at maths, music and twirling.gimme pen and paper and im set to go though.

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I've always been really good at math...and I've got a good ear for music too (I sing and play the piano, and I used to play trumpet and the cello). Strange.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
When you say musical I take it you mean rythm and not tone. I'm tone-deaf and can't sing worth a damn but my human beatbox (lol) kicks ass. (Hence, drummers aren't musicians, but I *obviously* didn't say that.) winkI'm also a college math student. Go figure.J------------------'Only ever use the pink kind...'

Posh ravers wear ties.

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
HMMMMMM...i like where this is going.Maybe, if you are either good at music or maths you are more inclined to enjoy poi.I have been playing some sort of musical instrument since i was 6. Im not really good at maths though.Coz i have freinds who have picked up poi and just said, "nah thats crap" (yeah i know there not my freinds anymore wink )But my musical said they thought poi were at least kinda interesting.Hmmmm....curiouser and curiouserCheers APB

Good on usGood on us all

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
i scored in the top 98% of the nation in math and i make techno and do remixes i always find myself counting when i poi to music like to fit a 5beat weave nicely into 2 beats. drums and poi are similar if you go through math. not that doing a BHB rev 7 point weave would make me a drummer that creates beats so mezmorizing your skull would implode

Keltmember
34 posts

Posted:
Burnt - What flavor of engineering? I'm a recently anointed Electrical.I've found that, mathematical skill aside, hand drummers do seem to pick up poi a bit faster. My theory is that it's because they already have an innate sense of rhythm...

Let me stand next to yourFire, fire on the mountain...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
If math and poi went hand in hand I'd kick all of your butts on the competition video! (Just kidding!)In all honesty, I think societal influences have more to do with it. I see my students who are sucessful at certain things and not at others. (RASH GENERALIZATION AHEAD COMPOSED OF YEARS OF TEACHING WITH MANY EXCEPTIONS!) Many of my students fall into the generalizations that are set up for them. If they are big, dumb guys many join the football team (and therefore become more athletic). If they are smart but struggle socially they may spend their time studying (and therefore be better at academics.) If they struggle with BOTH social venues and athletic venues than they become part of the counter culture and do counter culture things like nontraditional art and music.I hate making such generalizations and take great pains NOT to assume anything in reverse as that becomes steriotyping. (That is, if you are on the football team, you must be dumb.) I've met many kids who break the mold but as long as our society accepts these steriotypes they will be the exceptions, not the rule.I think that these societal influences are more telling than any innate connections between math-music-coordination.I guess what I'm saying is that I disagree. smileDEVELOPING a skill is also important. I've got many students who have innate math sense and are smart 16 year olds who will never develop due to lack of focus or environment. Soon they will be 35 year olds with the intellect of a smart 16 year old. And they'll still think that they have a strong math ability. Which they do, for a 16 year old, not a 35 year old... (I give this speech often, can you tell?) smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Well I guess you could be right because my math is ok, well it's been getting better, and I go drumming every week, so I guess they link.I know a bit off topic but do many of you drum.Well have fun laters.------------------Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
As for the "they" who say that math and music are linked - they're actual scientists, and I've read some of the studies (I used to be a piano teacher, so I followed such things). The findings have less to do with natural inclination ("talent") than they do with study. Music and math, counter-intuitive as this may seem, actually occupy similar parts of the brain and require similar kinds of thinking. Folks who study music at a young age often learn math faster... it's like the music warmed up their brains for math. For example, even before they knew what fractions were, they were dealing with fractions in the form of whole notes and half notes and quarter notes and so on. My own scant anecdotal evidence supports this - I started studying classical piano at age 6, and I rocked out on calculus come high school. My pupil, whom I taught from kindergarten through 4th grade, routinely scored 100's on her elementary school math tests, despite being a darling little blonde girl who was probably expected to fail. Anyway, not sure how this applies to poi aptitude, if it does at all, but I thought I'd share.

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I'm good at maths, one of the top 10 in my year at least... I play lots of instruments which i would be good at if i ever practiced.. i have fairly good sense of rhythm and pitch though... I can drum and sing pretty well, anyway...And I'm pretty good at poi too, some would say grinTwo of my maths teachers are like ace jugglers.lots of my math friends juggle, staff, poi...I think there may be something to this...Not sure about the music bit... I always felt it was more arithmetic than mathematics; I'm pretty poor at the former but good at the latter. Former most often lets me down, in fact, in maths competitions.could just be because we're lonely, lonely people... wink

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
I have always been a singer and a dancer of sorts. I flow with the beat, and many times when I spin I find myself counting "1-and 2-and three-and 4-and" which is a big thing for rythmn.As for math??Huh. Ha. Ha. I'm in Precalculus w/Analysis. That class overwhelms me...but I really see a link between musicians learning poi..-=M.D=-

Tarzanmember
9 posts

Posted:
actually I total see the connection.Maths just the study of interpreting the patterns which are observable in nature (which is why it's a science), we see a pattern, we analyse it till we understand the things that determine it's pattern/shape, then we are able to manipulate the pattern useing the now determined things that shape it. eg, by knowing the factors which allow wind to move under a plane and create an upward thrust, we can fly tons of metal. similarly by observing that a circles of equal radius can exist is the same time continuum but in a different place, we are able to manipulate the forces which direct the circles, and make the probable, actual. we just connect all the favourable possibilities until a worthwhile pattern emerges. hence. poi!music's much the same:manipulation of present variables to produce favourable combinations of those patterns.This is just a long winded way of saying:I should have taken science as my degree.But really, all things in nature are based on the simplicity of the cirlces form, because on inspection it is a series of lines deviating from it's current path. we manipulate that microscopic movement and ...the circle changes direction. but is still a circle. I have many theories about this type of thing. used to do monthly subscriptions (kind of). so I'll just stop here. I've deviated from the topic anyway.the kicker is grinOESN'T MATTER WHETHER YOU UNDERSTAND IT OR NOT, GRAVITY WORKS, AND SO DOES POI!

This leads to bedwetting?
sheets well spent.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
There's math in everything. That's the beauty of math. There's music in everything. That's the beauty of music.Most of my kids who are hard working in Science are good at just about anything else they touch. I've never failed a kid who didn't fail another subject (or five) as well.I think there's more of a connection between devotion, effort, and societal influences and preconceptions of success, than any artificial connection between subjects.Almost anyone who wants to be good at poi or ANYTHING, and is devoted to practice, can be. Not great, mind you, just good (we can't all be Myst now can we...)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Burntmember
13 posts

Posted:
So out of 16 we have 8 good at math and 9 muscicians or drummers(im not getting into that argument, but my brother plays guitar, bass, sings and writes songs too).CRD-i agree about the dancing, my arms now have a purpose when im dancing,as for the legs, maybe i should try twirling with my feet to bring them up to speed.Drakien-yeah i meant drumming aswell.Kelt- Im electrical too!NYC- I was just thinking if you twirl are you more likely to be good at maths or music or drumming due to the structure of the brain or the activities requiring similar kinds of thinking (Alleycat's explanation was what i wanted to say but couldn't put it as clearly).Thanks for the replies, maybe this would make a good poll.------------------Play with fire and you might get Burnt.

Play with fire and you might get Burnt.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I am good at poi, good at doing mental math, and good music, so is my friend John (AKA JT, jedi white, pyrosphere). I guess that fits the pattern, but I'm sure there are alot of people that don't fit this pattern.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
NYC - you say maths is in everything..The theory of reductionism is: if we argue that psychology can be broken down to biology (this is the hard bit) - then we can also say that biology is ruled by and made up of chemistry. In turn chemistry is defined by physics, which is itself founded in mathematics. Maths is created out of logic. So I guess you are right - maths is in everything. This theory also means that a logic machine (ie a computer) can understand humans in every shape and form right through to their psychologies.hmmm bit off topic tho blush

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut