Forums > Social Chat > I give up... Just do the weave fast.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Fountain to a 180 double arm wrap to a follow the sun:No responseWeave to a corkscrew, double leg corkscrew wrap, bring it up into a windmill:No responseThree beat weave really, really fast:Men gasp and cheer, women rip off their clothingI give up.Unless you're spinning with other poi people, just do the dang weave as fast as you can. That's what everyone wants to see... frownAm I wrong?[This message has been edited by NYC (edited 22 October 2001).]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've got one in North Carolina you might like. How far is that from you?

Meh

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Was on last night at a black light gig. Kev and I were on last of 8 people, and we did some pretty basic stuff, but in synch...but the thing that got the biggest cheer...right near the end we both went into a reverse alternate butterfly (hmm hang on.....alternate butterfly...done really low, poi are wooshing past your feet, front and back alternate), now this move is one that can be done really fast....and we were doing it really fast....the crowd went wild!!! Was fantastic...but is not a technically hard move....it just looks good!! We did have really fast weave going in big circles....and did get a big cheer for that too....but the alt. butterfly got the best!!!------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,Im a staffer, and for me perfomance involves a lot of movement, I like to travel alot and do huge running throws that cross 10m or so. Also Ive found tthat the contact stuff gets a really good responce, specially if you audience is fairly used to competent stick. Just pirrotting with a stick looks mental and I dance and jump and let the momentum of the stick pull my body around. In dancing its a good rule that what feels good looks good, so do the stuff you like, but make it BIG, make it Varied and use you whole Body and Space.My friend is a poi girl and is one of the best Ive seen. Shes not very technical (I can do harder tricks than her) but she never pulls the same move for more than a beat before transitioning into another. She does tricks Ive never seen anyone else do that arnt even tricks, just transitions between. She is smooth and in time and Loves it. winkMid-perfomance reactions should be aproriate to what you want the audence to do, gasp if its dangerous, laugh if its funny, sit in stunned silence if its awsome. Thease dont matter so much as the After-perfomance reaction. Then you find out how entranced peaple really were.Idiots are a fact of life, I should know....Nix

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Awww, you're not an idiot Nix. A little misguided maybe. But not an idiot.

Meh

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
I have noticed that people are amused with basic moves. Weaves are what they like. I think they've called it "Turbo-Fast." But they like weaves... and butterflys.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hee hee hee.Speed is always impressive (if you don't mess up).But, if you can put the wicks out simultaneously while spinning really fast, you won't believe the cheers your get...(well, with staff anyway, I dunno about these silly poi things wink)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nzPS oh, and PWB, I just tell them to clap when they forget, and they always do... blush[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 10 December 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

digital milkmember
37 posts

Posted:
if only i could do the weave *dreams about that day, then hits himself attempting*teach me! lol.. yea right..

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's easier if you're not near the christmas tree when you try it.

Meh

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I find that you sort of need to tell the audience when to clap/ applaude cos often they are afraid that they will be the only one or some thing.

From experiance when i'm fire hooping if i sort of "stike a pose" when doing a hard trick or afterwards i get a good response. it seems cheesey but it usualy works

For example if have just steped through my hoop and it is going virticaly around one hand i smile really big and sort of present with my other arm.

Jane

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
4 and a half year bump!

great work blueberry.

and yes, i agree that audience reaction isn't about about the difficulty of the trick - its all about the presentation.

i say forget poi - light a plate on fire, spin it over your head for five minutes, throw it once or twice and the crowd will love you forever wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

i say forget poi - light a plate on fire, spin it over your head for five minutes, throw it once or twice and the crowd will love you forever wink

cole. x

Holy crap I was just gonna say that! ubblol (Though I must say that damn bowl is the most physically demanding prop I've ever played with!)

Yeah, next year I'm gonna just light a school bus on fire, drive it around in a circle a few times and I'll be a firespinning legend.

And well done on the 4 year bump up. Memorieeeessss...

I do think I've gone full circle as all technical poi tends to look the same now.

Perhaps "how revealing your costume is" and "who you're sleeping with" should be the next measure of how much we should clap for you.

I guess that means BamBam should always get a standing ovation. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
bump this is a sad truth but hey its not their fault for poi ignorance and if everyone did spin spinning wouldnt be so amazing to the crowd

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Page: