GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
anybody ever tried spinning really heavy objects to train the muscles u use. ive tried spinning 1 liters full of water and even 2 liters full of water trying to see if it would help. i think it has improved my control and speed but that could just be practice im curious if other experimenters have had results

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
Spinning average weights pretty intensly has shown some results on the endurance side of things.As for adding muscle, I think Josh posted somewhere about using double-wicks to that effect (sorry if I'm mistaken!). Haven't had the chance myself yet.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Been thinking about this...I tried swinging bricks once, but they weren't really heave enough. I can't think of anything to use.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
bricks?!...i cause myself enough damage using bloody tennis balls grin

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

Agnimember
28 posts

Posted:
Interesting idea.Anyone has any idea how to make heavier poi?

Wormymember
22 posts

Posted:
I got a clip on the bottom on my poi that allows me to clip giant lead sinkers on it.

Agnimember
28 posts

Posted:
Well, I thought of something myself smileI just made myself a new set of practice poi from plastic bags filled with coins. They are very very heavy, and swinging them is an excellent workout.Try it! smile

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Try making your own wicks from fabric using Pele's method..I wrap it extra thick, then soak it in water. If it still isn't heavy enough, make two sets, and hook them together. But I find that spinning with one set of dry wicks, and about 3 glowsticks on each poi extra is about right for weight training. I think the weight is not necessarily as important as how long you train. If you work on your endurance, your strength will go up as well. Since I started spinning poi, all my arm muscles have toned, and are now cut. :PCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
If you use tennis balls for practice poi, you can just fill them with rocks or coins or birdshot using the slice you already put in it for the string. Also, there are weights that are made to be worn around your wrists or ankles that weigh a couple of pounds and are also soft and smooshy - I don't know where you could find them, but tying them to the end of your poi would give you added weight without the concussion potential of, say, bricks.

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
I have tried using heavier poi and found that all it does is make my fingers hurt more. LOLI found that Velcro weights work better. I use lbs. per wrist and 5 lbs per Ankle works out really well.Honestly, It's an old martial arts training technique to train in weighted clothing. Well that and working out on either movable equipment or small constricted places to put your feet. Plum Flower Posts anyone? smile------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

smileemember
40 posts

Posted:
I made my first set of poi using cotton wrapped around padlocks. For heavier poi just wrap your wick around a bigger padlock. I think it does make you stornger in your arms and back/shoulers, and as CrazyRaver said, it helps build endurance.

later - Smilee

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
try attaching fat tails to your heavy poi, then swing fast. I dont believe there is anyone out there that wouldnt get a wicked workout from that.and I find that doing 5-beat stuff is a much better workout than 3 beat...try doing 5-beat fountains over and over...work those delts! smileJosh

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Anybody got any beaming poi? They certainly give me a good workout!Also those double poi with a metal tube separator between the wicks are pretty damned heavy...It must be doing me some good, because people see my arms and ask me if I lift weights!If you want a bit of extra weight, apart from making your poi heavier you could try using multiple sets at once...Princess xxx

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Swing glowsticks on cable poi. You need to move them so fast to get the cables to straiten out it's a great aerobeic workout. Then If you want to heavey side I use whole bath towels soaked in kero. They weigh alot and stay lit for ever it seems. More then enough to get the sweat pouring. Endurance training is also nice. Just swing average weighted poi around for as long as you can. Normally I get this in with other poi ppl or at campouts. Just go from like midnight till sunrise and see how few breaks you can take. On the other side if you wanna just do it and get it over with load up 5 largeish wicks and spin simple patterns over and over again grin I met a girl that had sewn fishing weights into her poi heads. Her staff was also made of soild steel. Myself I have a 15 pound cross that really gets the muscles going.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
I made some 2 lb sandbags, they wear me out pretty quickly and give an excellent workout. And they don't hurt too much when they hit me cause they're soft.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.