Forums > Social Chat > Cures for the bored spinner

Login/Join to Participate

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone!Currently I've reached that plateau where I'm stuck in between levels of spinning and I'm not exactly progressing as I used to, and I don't want to become bored by it, if such a thing can actually happen. What can I do to alleviate this lull in my twirling?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
One idea I read in another thread was to spin little dogs, like jack russels or pomeranians around on their leashes instead of pois.That would alleviate my boredom pretty quickly.But don't set them on fire, -------------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Watch the video section on HOP. Great for inspiration. grin------------------C@ntus

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Charlesyou've been eating them funny mushrooms again haven't you? wink------------------C@ntus

Meh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
play with a staff...

anyone got a light?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hey Q,I suffer from this quite frequently, actually. I have been spinning for over 4 years now and frequently become disenchanted and frustrated. When this happens, I put down my sticks for as long as it takes for me to start craving again.Recently, I had some fire dilemmas and didn't light up for about a month, until last Friday night. It was great picking my sticks back up, and it showed me (again) that plateaus can be breached. Its not as though I speed ahead and learn dozens of new moves, but the feeling of the stick in my hands after a break makes me realise that there is a multitude of possibilities.You just need a fresh perspective.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
mmmm FUNNY MUSHROOMS shocked------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Now for a serious reply...That happened to me about 6 months ago. I was really not progressing very far with my twirling and become really frustrated. Especially when you live with someone who just gets move after move after move down pat...but anyway, it got to a point where I was seriously going to just chuck in the towel and be a spectator.But I didn't, you just got to push through, look at others for inspiration and just set a few goals on moves you really want to learn and do it.....and yes it does hurt...but god damn it feels good when you get that move you have been wanting to do for ages. smileUnfortunately I am at that point again, so I have to start learning some more things, as I do the same stuff all the time and I want a bigger repertoire of tricks to do...So it's back to the drawing board and school or hard knocks for me to learn some new tricks.Good luck and keep your head up, but always remember to occasionally duck! grinLove and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
As long as it takes to start craving for them? I pine for my staffs when i go away. I find myself picking up broom handles at peoples houses and mutilating mop handles to make myself toys....since i read your thread i've found myself looking round quite a bit scanning the room for any sign of them. But to no avail shocked They must be in the other room..... brbOk, found em. Panic over...------------------C@ntus

Meh

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
ok...all's ya gotta do is take a huge stack of white paper into a room with no furniture or windows and see how many times you can tear one sheet of paper and then repete until a, your brain explodes, b- you find yourself throwing yourself violently in the wall or , c, you remember how much fun it is to play with fire smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
learn BTL moves. most of em arent that tricky, but they do add a bunch of variety to your twirling... smileJosh

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
Go somewhere dead quiet and really dark - spin to some music for a while. Then turn the music off and loose yourself in the sound of the fire, enveloped by the pitch black. Then when you walk home pretend that you are a martial arts expert on a sectret mission and leap round corners, yelling.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
buy some glowsticks, go to a club you've never been to, kick some ass, get everyone to worship you, have a good time, wake up in bed with a beautiful stranger.Then... teach them how to spin. It always makes you feel better watching a beginner hit themselves in the face smileAlternatively start breathing/eating. I have, and they're wonderful.Or.... join a troupe and do some gigs. then you actually get to impress people for money. And meet fun twirler friends.Or get a big box of chocolates and eat them all. grinStart doing gymnastics to spice up your poi life.Make some really cool firewhips and indulge in a little pyroerotica.finally... all of the above.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I find that I get bored with things when I start to get good enough at them to think that I compare favorably with others doing the same thing. But I've found that if you push through that period, keep practicing when you don't feel like it or feel you need to, that is when you make the breakthrough to the truely extraordinary. I sort of slacked off on the poi about 6 months ago, but then basically made myself keep doing it. It didn't feel like I was getting anywhere at the time, but then one day suddenly I started getting a LOT more compliments on my moves and style, even from people who see me spinning all the time. Around the same time, i discovered I could do a lot of moves I thought I would never get and never even bothered to try or even think of. So all I can really say is, look inside yourself and see if it is worth it in your mind to make the effort. If it is, then break on thru to other side!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
can someone tell me what josh means when he says BTL moves?... I am getting to a similar stage and would like some thing 'simple' that would jazz things up for a bit and keep me amused..i am guessing he means between the legs? sounds painful to me though... any ideas? (probably just me being stupid.. smile

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Plateaus are natural in any hobby. I usually try to stop and come back into it from a different angle. That's why I'm suddenly into wraps.I find that music inspires me too. Try spinning to music you'd never dance too. Crazy slow (and you get to groove with it) crazy fast (and you get to hit yourself.)Try something close. Flags, meteors, glowsticks, photons, whatever you've never done before.Teach others. I always amuse myself because I can teach other people how to be better than me. I'm not as good a swing dancer or twirler as those that I've taught. I don't know how that's possible, but it's true. Either I'm a great teacher, or I just suck. Perhaps both. winkIt also helps to have a friend on or near your level to inspire you.Seeing other people spin, especially those who spin with a radically different style than myself, tends to inspire me as well.Or you can take a break. No harm in that. We've all got our other 95% of our lives too.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Wow!Thanks for all the replies!Firefairy, I'm not exactly spinning fire yet, but I have two juggling torches on their way to the States via airmail from Malcolm's place. I'll let you know how that goes.Blackbird, currently that I know of there is no fire troupe in the NYC area. NYC can you confirm this? Maybe we should try setting one up.Oh yeah. A box of chocolates can be good too.Josh, what exactly is BTL? Behind the leg? All I ever hear of is Behind the Back, BTB for those who are new to the site and just started reading the posts.Charles, dogs?

nexus_sunmember
47 posts

Posted:
Try a different toy for a while. It's amazing how x-training can help esp. clubs and poi or staff and one handed poi.I think it (BTL) means between the leg or bacon lettuce and tomato. Humm ... lunch awaits.______________________Whether birds of a feather or passion in the heather it's important the connection is made.Nexus