Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
As a relatively new twirler, (ive been doing poi for about a month) i have no real idea about where you guys meet to "show off" for want of a better word smileI know a few people in fire troupes, but they happen to be in either london or the USA.Basically im asking, where do you guys gather, and are there any fire troupes in Australia (mostly melbourne) that i could do a bit of twirling with.CheersAPB

Good on usGood on us all

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Have you tried the meet others search? You can enter in Melbourne and email them about it.What about in the Events and Gatherings area of the board? There might be something there or in past posts from there, you can take a gander at the archives of that section by doing a search (the little button under post reply/new thread).I can say that I think there are more "professionals" in Australia than here in the US...but we are catching up!If you are really itching to get together....organize one yourself!I opened my big mouth last spring and we ended up with 15 or so of us invading a farm for a weekend. It was glorious!Anyway, good luck and I hope your endeavors in spinning are every bit as rewarding as they have been for me! (which is to say it has changed my life)Cheerios!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Don't know about Melbourne, but I can tell you one thing for sure : once I get to OZ next year or so, I'll just rush to Sidney to see Flash, Frenzie and Finn (the wick effect) and to see the fireflies too and then I'll go to brisbane and see Bec and Elke as well as Incendium...You're lucky, you are surrounded by *very* inspiring people !!!Shine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 24 October 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I thought Incendium is from NZ? confusedMaybe we can get some of these people to perform for the conference???And I just pulled a great big Duh Pele move!One of my closest friends is from Victoria, just outside of Melbourne and he has a pretty nice fire group going.His name is Chris (professionally goes by Djinn) and the group is Fireworks Dance Co.Here is a link to the website...on there you will find contact information, including phone numbers. Maybe he can help you out. It might take a few days for him to get back to you (he tends to be busy) but it'll be worth the wait...he's a great guy.https://www.fireworksdance.com.auHope this helps.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 19 October 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Pele, I think Incendium are from Brisbane, maybe I am mistaken though ...it'd be great to have them for the convention though !!!!shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Yeppers ... Incendium is based in Brisbane.Sorry about our website still being down people ... we're doing the best we can to have it back as soon as possible.ÐraevonIncendium.

nexus_sunmember
47 posts

Posted:
I just started trying to work out the fire scene down under and here's what i've gotten so far. AdelaideSeacliff on sundaysBrisbaneIncendium Fire CircusCleveland (southside) on Sunday nightsdraevon@incendium.org https://www.incendium.orgBrisbaneMoon
Fest (Bec & Elke) ... held once a month at Shorncliffe beach moon_fest@hotmail.comSydneyFireart FanaticsGlebe Point, waterside of Glebe Jubilee Park, Federal RdThursday, 730 pmwww.fireartfanatics.comSydneyThe Wick EffectNewtown, Camperdown Memorial ParkWednesday, from 7.30pmMelbourne?WA?cheers,nexus_sun

nexus_sunmember
47 posts

Posted:
I just started trying to work out the fire scene down under and here's what i've gotten so far. AdelaideSeacliff on sundaysBrisbaneIncendium Fire CircusCleveland (southside) on Sunday nightsdraevon@incendium.org https://www.incendium.orgBrisbaneMoon
Fest (Bec & Elke) ... held once a month at Shorncliffe beach moon_fest@hotmail.comSydneyFireart FanaticsGlebe Point, waterside of Glebe Jubilee Park, Federal RdThursday, 730 pmwww.fireartfanatics.comSydneyThe Wick EffectNewtown, Camperdown Memorial ParkWednesday, from 7.30pmMelbourne?WA?cheers,nexus_sun

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Oi! I hope you're not calling me a show-off! I'll have you know I am very shy and retiring... winkThere's a bloke in St Kilda who was looking for people to twirl with a while ago...Princess xxxPS: Your jam is in the post, and should be with you in a week grin

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Sweet,What flavour is it by the way....no actually don't tell me. It will ruin the surprise.Oh and princessAll twirlers are show-offseven when you first pick em up and go "hey look i can do it" (being physically unable to put them down again means you are now a show off for life) grin

Good on usGood on us all

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Think I've posted this b4 but here goes,St Kilda Esplanade (on grass near pier) sometimes gets a group of twirlers.firetwirling gatherings: Edinburgh park in Fitzroy 1st & 3rd Fridays I thinkAlistair Knox park in Eltham on the 2nd friday Once again I think?, hang no I don't, take your chances!1st 2nd 3rd relate to position in monthalso Saturday day check out St Andrews Market (near Eltham) only bout 15 min away, = a cool hippy market that usually attracts twirlers.Maybe we could meet up some time?cya

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Hey Auspoiboy, r u going to go to any of the places I mentioned? interested in meeting? where bouts in melb r U? I'm in Monbulk which is in the dandenongs.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Yeah for sure, send me an email sometime and i'll come and check it out.Make it in a couple a weeks though.....i got exams comming up.Im in hawthorn at the moment, don't know where i'll be next year.spoondoctor@start.com.auCheersAPB

Good on usGood on us all

smileemember
40 posts

Posted:
Hey, Well this has nothing to do with Australia, but I'm getting people together to form a fire troop in San Diego. My idea was that we would make business cards, practice where other people will see, and hand them out. We would perform for parties, weddings ect...If anybody comes to san diego, e-mail me mabe we can get together.

later - Smilee

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I guess I should say that everytime I've been to Seacliff on Sundays, there has been a small group of drummers, and no fire twirlers. In fact the fire twirling has been outlawed there...Once we went there, and a girl came with some staves, but she left again without using them? weird.I dont bother going now.....I might start again when it gets warmer...who knows..BTW - I dont know how you missed my post about a regular firejam in Adelaide on Friday nights in the East Parklands from 9pm, but you did smileEvery Friday night there are friendly fire twirlers in the park - come jam with us.Josh

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
For sure josh, next time in adelaide i'll look you up smileCheersAPB

Good on usGood on us all