Forums > Social Chat > Glowsticks for handles?

Login/Join to Participate

night_creepermember
8 posts

Posted:
I was just wondering if anyone had tried using a glowstick for a handle. It seems to me like it would be a good idea but who knows. If any one has tried this let me know how it turned out------------------Blessed Be

Blessed Be

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey there night creeper. and i must say welcome, now first do you mean glowsticks for the handles of my fire? if that is the case then no, i use a metal hoop. but some glowsticks by the hoop wouldnt be a bad idea. the reason is that my fire is way to heavy to rely on some very thin plastic to hold on to them.on the other hand when i spin my glowsticks, i have one glowstick on each end of the string, one as handles and one to swing. this way i can switch up the colors if i want.

anyone got a light?

night_creepermember
8 posts

Posted:
The last part of your post is exactly what I meant. I have been doing poi for about 2 months now, I would say that I am pretty good but I also practice for hours everyday! But anyway back on subject. Would you say that is harder to do your moves or anything using a glowstick for a handle while glowsticking? Does it get in the way or anything?------------------Blessed Be

Blessed Be

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
definately not. all i have ever used was glowsticks for handles, on a rare occasion they will break off, but believe me that is rare.i love having them as handles, they make there on circles when i am doing my dancing. it is much, much easier to do the one handed butterfly (1hand BF for future reference) with handles. one in between the thumb and fore finger and the other in between the ring and middle finger.another thing i like to use handles for is what i call a switch. i usually have a green and a blue on each string, one as a poi and the other a handle. and in the middle of playing around i will crack the blue ones and then magically i can make the blue one start spinning with the green and then 2 blue.need mor explanation just ask. i hate to string without handles, feels tooo wierd to me now. by the way, where do you live at?

anyone got a light?

night_creepermember
8 posts

Posted:
I live in hell, uh South Carolina (like I said Hell). I cannot find anyone around here that does poi excluding my sister and her boyfriend, and I tought them all their moves, so I have someone to play with but nobody to help me out. It is a real pain in the butt.------------------Blessed Be

Blessed Be

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
it might be a good idea to try and get your hands on a copy of the Circles of Light video from this website. it will give you lots of good ideas and show you different styles. there should be another one coming out in the near future, but if you ever want to learn something new, i will try to help. just e-mail me...

anyone got a light?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
(moving from incorrectly placed reply)cheshireunregistered posted 18 October 2001 15:11 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------THis is for night_creeper, yes, glowstickswork as amazing handles. I use them myselfas nunchucks. Take a regular pair of glowsticks (Two pairs of white and blue)and cut off the little hooks at the end. loop the string through each hole and have them attached 4-6 inches apart by stringor the lenghth of the back of your hand.The result, well make another pair first, and try a figure 8. This is a very unigue style of poi. It enables you to do backhand rollovers, in mid-performance, to change colors. Also the short length allows for much more tech maneuverability, and speed.When working with two of these you have many different freestyle options most of which I've explored, but lack certain creativitys.I would love to see someone practice this tech to give me more ideas on style variation

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DaRk aBeRmember
19 posts

Posted:
hey pozee, you spin short strings dont you?

JÅMé§ §HéÞÅ®Ðisarangheyo@netzero.net

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
not really short string, they are kind of in between, not quite too long and not short enough to do a figure eight without whacking myself in the face...

anyone got a light?

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Hey night_creeper, if you ever make it up around Charlotte and want to spin, drop me an email. I've been doing glow and fire poi for a bit over a year. SC isn't exactly heaven, but at least you don't live in Columbia!------------------"We do not inherit this Earth from our ancestors, but merely borrow it from our children"

Fear the evil monkey!

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Oh ma goodness! I spy two kiddies from my neck of the woods! Supafly and night creeper, I am from Charlotte Check my profile and e-mail me fools! Oh, to keep this on topic... I think that the idea is great for some purposes. Why don't you try stringing sticks all the way up. They offer enough different colors, that, with a little creativity, you can create the lucky charms rainbow!

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

night_creepermember
8 posts

Posted:
I am going to be in Downtown Greenville (Sc) tomarrow night spinning glowsticks, If anyone would like to join me, look for the girl with the blue glowsticks or ask someone where the grassy knoll is (I'll probably be there or the Coffee Beanery). Hope to see someone. grinBy the way It does not give me the option to e-mail you supafly------------------Blessed Be[This message has been edited by night_creeper (edited 20 October 2001).]

Blessed Be

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Glowsticks for handles?I would never trust my glowsticks to be handles. When my glowsticks would be on the ends, a couple of times I'd spin so fast that the g forces would tear the glowsticks from my strings. I prefer the glowsticks to be on the outside, where they are less likely to hurt me most (providing that I don't whack myself pretty good smile )

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I never thought of the color changing aspect of using glowsticks as handles. Cool.I wonder how the control differs between holding sticks attatched to sticks and the standard attaching it to fingers. Heck it if works for Proz it's gotta be good... wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Oops, sorry night_creeper. Forgot that I didn't include that in my profile. My home email address is id_slave24@hotmail.comIf either you or Glowshow wanna hook up for a spinning session let me know. I broke out some 15-inch 5-minute ulta high intensity glowsticks at an outdoor party this weekend. They were fun to play with and glowed for about 30 mins! I've used glowsticks for handles b4 but they sometimes break depending upon the manufacturer's style. Glowsticks with hooks on the end are the strongest. Also, the moves which require more control closer to your body are easier without handles IMO.------------------"We do not inherit this Earth from our ancestors, but merely borrow it from our children"

Fear the evil monkey!

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
wow a thread I actually have experience with.. heheh.. anywaysi've used them as handles before, and sometimes found certain things eaier to do (better "joint" when string is tied to end of stick than sitting in hand) but others can be harder (catching the string around the opposite end of your other hand's stick)Having multiple sticks tied to a string looks pretty wild too from what I've been told of my tries. This last weekend i layered 3 sticks at the end of my strings of different colors and my friend said it was kewl cause it looked like staffs streaming through the air.and as for stability i've found that my choice in sticks is the ones from wal-marts outdoors section (plus they last FOREVER cause they are the industrial strength ones). I've never lost an end on them.anyways my 2 cents.wulff

wulff

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i see alot of people use them as handles. Ive used them a few times too, but i have a hard time holding onto them when i start to spin fast. I got spoiled using straps, and the positioning they provide.Ive spun with this one guy at least 6 times at various raves. He ties his strings around the butt end of the glowsticks and i have never seen them fly off. You think they would though..SUper..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Jumpers for goal posts....------------------C@ntus

Meh

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
There are alot of different ways to switch ends...I mean using wraps. I use thin dog chain and small key rings though and I like to use red and green, bu blue is also cool with either,I like the weight the chain gives, but I havent tried strings yet. you can switch by wraping on your legs, arms, kneck (that's a fun one...what a RUSH!)Switch ends from a butterfly (one at a time)by wraping on the forearm. Or on your upper arm during a reverse weave, or on your upper thigh (both at once too) from a forward swing, or on your kneck from a overhead butterfly (one at a time, bring the otherone low and recoil it off your body at the same time to go into a corkscrew and then recoil one off of forearm while turning to go back into a overhead butterfly) oops, i'd better quit before a moderator puts this post in the moves section... smileI've thought of making a leather harness to hold a glowstick and have two finger loops on the harness...best of both worlds, except it might be harder to switch ends.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
they look sweet as handles, ive never quite mastered the switch, but i imagine it looks good as well, plus the multiple sticks, staggered along the lenth of the string ecspecially different colors, looks really good, and ummm, yeah

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!