AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey guys,I'm just getting into Neck wraps, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with some advice...see I have this problem.My Dreads get stuck in my chain as it comes off my neck (after I flick my head forward again) tongueAnyhow- got any help? (and I dont want any suggestions about getting rid of my current hairstyle either) smileJosh

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
well, well !!that's a good question.have you allready tried a poney tale ?i'd suggest you put a bandana over your head to gather your hair and set the neck free, but I remember Kate says she wants you with your dreads "in the open air".. so... i don't think ther are many other possibilities....sorry, can't help much !shine oncassandra
Non-Https Image Link

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Have you considered the "Princess Lea" do? You know, with the buns over your ears.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link
If you do that, pelase make sure you post a picture !!!!shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
If you do that I swear I will pee my pants laughing!....Not that my suggestion is any better.....What about gathering them all on the top of your head in a pony tail...ala Manchu's, Sumo wrestlers, Pebbles from the Flintstones (the bone might even be a nice decorative touch).I don't know how long or thick your dreads are but what about a braid or two with the ends tucked under and fastened with a safety pin?A French Twist, where you gather the hair and roll it back on itself lengthwise and pin the ends under so you have this roll down the back of your head (sorry, hard to explain).I am going to shoot this out there...no matter what method of gathering your hair you choose it will stick out from your skull a bit. Make sure your moves don't cut close to your head as your chains will wraps around them and get tangled. Trust me...I am the expert when it comes to picking hair out of my chains! smileGood luck------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I usually have my dreads up in the fashion described by Pele when I go out clubbing. It looks pretty cool on me (or so I'm told) and it keeps them out of the way when I'm spinning and stuff.------------------C@ntus

Meh

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I supose an alternative to changing your hair would be to get a different string. Something smooth that wouldn't stick to your hair.This is just a sugestion, not nececarily a good one smile------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
pretty sure a cord or rope would do the trick.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Josh, I've got dreads down to my bum, and have found the best way for them to be out of the way and not get caught in chains is to wrap them entirely in a sort of tube of cotton (this is going to be the worst description ever I'm afraid) smileTake a strip of cotton material about 1m long and about 30cm wide. Tie one end to the top of your dreads (tie them back in a pony tail first of all) then wrap the material around your dreads (to keep it on I tie it on with some cotton). They should all be contained then within the tube of material. It's like a long bandanna.You can wrap away to your heart's content and you won't get your dreads caught.Also, because mine are so long, I can actually take them and tie them in a knot on top of my head, then a few bits dangle down the sides (did you see what the first lady in Circles of Light did with her dreads - she tied them up).Altenatively, I agree with Pele, other arrangements will make your hair's stick out from your head a bit.good luck,ade

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's called a topknot. When you tie your dreads up in that fashion. My dreads used to be down to my waist but I cut them to shoulder length (and have regretted it ever since) as they kept getting in the way and catch in the till draw at work.I tie them up in a top knot and look like a dready pineapple when I go out. But they're out of the way when I'm dancing, spinning etc.C@ntus(wondering if he's turned invisible)------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe smilelots of suggestions...unfortunately using rope or cord isnt an option cuz the fire will burn it. My problem isnt really with the chain links getting tangled, its with the chain doing a wrap on my pony tail! Dreads when pulled back tend to go out a long way from the back of my head - and when the wrap is finishing, it wraps on the pony tail. I've tried the topnotch thing, at Burning Man Kate (and friend) said it looked cool, but every time I've tried it lately she reckons it looks lame. I dont want to look lame smileI think I'll have to try the cotton wrap thing, as the rest of the suggestions are way too technical! smileThanks for your help everyone!Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Well mine looks cool! tongue grin wink------------------C@ntus[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 18 October 2001).]

Meh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
ive got it! sheer energy nylons over the face and head and hair... okay maybe not.

anyone got a light?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Don't do neck wraps?------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
sorry Cantus, I'm not trying to dis you - rather I'm pointing out that on me, my gf thought it looked whack (I thought it looked cool - oh well). smileJosh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
JoshDont worry about it. I'm just messing with ya mate. And, whilst I'm on the subject, I must say it makes a nice change conversing with someone who has a normal haircut! I get sick of all these weirdos with short, sensible hair doing staff and poi. grin wink------------------C@ntus

Meh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
My only other thought is that I tend to tie my dread pony tail very low down, and not high up on my head. I think this keeps my dreads closer to my head, lessening the stickyoutedness of a high pony tail. The cotton wrap then just keeps it all contained.And yes, Cantus I agree, all those people with weirdo hairstyles are really freakin' me out smile Though I had to laugh yesterday when one of them offered me a comb winkhave funade[This message has been edited by Ade (edited 18 October 2001).]

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
What about a hooded top? or a top knot as described but put a thick bandanna around the bottom of it (like african women) and stick your hair out madly around the top of it??111??