Forums > Social Chat > Getting back into the "swing"

Login/Join to Participate

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
OK, It finally warmed up enough to swing, but I've been out of practice for a few months, and I'm finding that it is definetly NOT like riding a bicycle, perhaps more like a unicycle. I have been able to get going faster, but I'm having to re-train my arms to move. Anybody else having this problem?-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
No!You are alone you damn freak!

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Am I a freak for having to relearn or are we bitter at the warm streak here in the midwest?

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Psychomonkey, Well, it appears a bit of impostering has spread to this board as well. Sorry, pal, you became involved in this sad joke. I didn't write the previous message on this thread. Diana

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...and i was right!!! But it seems to me this is not the first sign of impostering (well maybe not impostering as such but...) on this board. The first moral of the story being:REGISTER!!! winkpeace,Simos

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
I had a hunch... Thanks for clearing that up Diana

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thanks, psycho, for giving me the benefit. It's kinda funny, cuz that post is *so* not me. And Simos, where it might be a little inconvenient to make straighten this sort of thing out. I still think I'm not going to register. I'm just a little weird about signing up for things, giving out my info out in that way. I'm ever weirder when I'm told to what I should do. Thanks anyway. Diana

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...fair enough Diana grin - and i am sorry, i didn't mean that in that way...telling you personally what to do - it was more along the lines of an advise from a friend and telling people what to do is certainly not my thing; i hope no offence was taken - i just think that as a general rule it's got more advantages to register, the most important being that people know it's actually you it's posting - in any case you are right - most of the time it's so easy to tell that a post is inconsistent with what you know about the person who wrote it; and out of curiosity since the security issues bother me a lot sometimes too, what kind of info exactly is one giving out when registering - it seems to me you can 'get away' with it by just a name and a password - i remember you saying something about the IP address being collected but i think Malcolm said he had removed that; i don't see why collecting IP addresses is seriously dangerous if you are using a modem and don't have a permanent IP (which applies to most people here i would imagine); please enlighten me on the above as usually the people that are most cautious are the ones that know the most winkhappy swinging,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 26 January 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
OK! I come clean! It was me, I admit it! I hope you folks don't take umbrage at my little prank (that was the first time by the way... i'm not a serial case) it was not aimed at anyone in particular - i just picked the first person who was unregistered. Perhaps I should take the hackers stance that I am highlighting security issues? Nah, I admit I just did it for a laugh. I'm pretty sure that registration is uncalled for, I mean, what kind of sad low life would waste their time doing such a thing.Until the poi discussion board becomes a matter of national security then I don't think registration should be compulsory. Anyway, who puts their real details in these registration things? I know I don't. P.S. - my personal apologies to Diana.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
i am sorry to find out that wasting our time is funny to you juggleloser - having to write posts to sort it out, malcolm reconfiguring the software and all that; let alone impostering Diana and calling psychomonkey a freak (maybe you owe him an apology too, what do you say juggleloser?) - as for calling the rest of us that have registered people with 'sad low lives'(even i know you are saying it for a laugh again) - what can i say? i am sorry mate, i am quite tolerant to a lot of things and don't mind a bit of caustic humour but especially for someone who has joined this BB complaining about people with attitudes (remember?) i find this whole thing way out of line...on the positive side at least you were honest about it...happy swinging,Simos

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Jugglerloser, I agree with Simos. It really was in bad taste. I know you don't agree with the senses of humor that most of have but the name calling and such is also not humorous.I will say here that I respect not only that you came clean but also that you post your address as your username for confrontations off the board.As for you Psychomonkey, I think it depends on how you learned and what your practices are (ie: do you work out normally anyway to stay limber even when not rehearsing, etc.)If I go awhile without practicing I find those that are second nature (along the blindfold strand of conversation) really just flow through my body. Those that took work, such as btb moves need to be warmed up but that only takes an hour or so before I am fluid again. As for rolls...well, I do yoga to stay limber no matter what I do so the rolls and such are second nature to me on the whole, adding poi moves doesn't truly make it that much harder.I think for everyone it is different though.Hope you are swinging well again! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

crispyxmember
53 posts

Posted:
Personally I've always taken freak as a compliment. As far as getting back in the swing, I'm in Colorado and I've been finding little indoor places I could practice in just becasue I noticed it only takes a couple of weeks for me to start loosing flexibility and smoothness to my moves. I've resorted to using, construction areas, arobics rooms, and just flat freezing my ass of outside to keep in practice. Outside I alternate between poi and fire eating so I can thaw my hands out on the torches.

How is it ever possible to feel safe and secure in a world in which everyone dies?

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Three words: All Night Lobby smile-PSM

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Simos! - cool down man! I think most of your problems with my last message was down to one sentence and just goes to prove that one should reread one's messages before one posts them.The sentence was ambiguous (or maybe it's a matter of you reading it as YOU expected it)...i said: "I'm pretty sure that registration is uncalled for, i mean, what kind of sad low-life would do such a thing" The "such a thing" i was refering to was not registration but the act of pretending to be someone else on a discussion board!So that was a playful dig at myself not a viscious attack at you lot. I'm pretty dissapointed with you , simos , for freaking out like that....what a drag! After reading previous posts i had gotten the impression that you were an easy going guy...should i change my assessment of you? It seems you've all figured i'm the bad guy and will treat me as such whatever!I think you should all lighten up a little, laugh a little. P.S. I don't think I should or will apologise to Psychomonkey... I take it for granted that anyone with a name like that can take a mild gibe - anyone who can't has got real problems.I'm sure he'll agree that he doesn't need other people to fight his battles for him, either.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
dear juggleloser - first of all i assure you that my occasional 'critizing' (if i can use the word in the mildest sense possible) posts for things i see that i don't like has nothing to do with me freaking out; i can take a prank/joke even if it's directed at me and i am possibly as difficult to offend as you are (am i right about you, i wonder??? smile ) - as for BBs in general i never got involved in another one before so i don't really know what's considered right to do and what isn't - i certainly apologise for misreading that sentence (well to tell you the truth it is a difficult sentence to understand smile - even if i read your post 100 times i would have taken it the wrong way, maybe it's my crap english)...you are certainly right that maybe i interpreted the way I expected it - not because i think of you as the bad guy as you say (the opposite if you want to know!) but because this particular 'prank' caused a lot of inconvience and little laughter (unless all of the others found it funny in which case i'll sit back, relax and stop trying to be such a pain in the ass) - thanx for the advise on how often i should laugh anyways!!! grin - i must admit that the fact that i possibly pissed off Diana in the process of trying to sort things out like a hero out to save the planet (i do that sometimes, i am just trying too hard for my own good; please start shouting at me when i do!) made things worse, so when i found out it was ol'juggleloser taking the piss again, i thought i'd post a message instead of punching the computer screen (nah i didn't get THAT mad!)...in any case to sum it up: i don't think you are the bad guy, i do like your jokes (sometimes), i think this one was crap grin and out of line, and i don't give a **** what you think of me (hence the above post, spending ages trying to sort this out!!! wink )...oh and...happy swinging!hey i just noticed you are not registered either - hehe maybe i should have posted something under your name instead of this post grin - take care,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 27 January 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey all, First, hmmm, juggleloser. I'm glad you did admit it at least. I did take it personally. I have to say that you do risk a backlash and losing the respect of others when you decide to get your yucks at others' expense. I don't think it's necessarily Simos' responsbility to lighten up. I think it's yours to take seriously what you did. Thanks for the apology, but frankly I feel like this is as much an offense to psychomonkey as to me. I'm sure you don't want to be told to apologize to PM and ordered apologies hardly require sincerity, so I won't bother. Simos, no I'm not pissed at you. I'm really trying to explain myself and point out my fussiness. I don't like to be told what to do, but it doesn't keep me from advising others. wink O, human frailty! I know you didn't really mean to tell me what to do. I know you were trying to resolve the situation. I'm a lot like that myself, trying to fix things. And IPs, yeah, you're right about the static IP bit. I guess while I know a bit about technology, I still have some skepticism (paranoia?) about it. I suppose it wouldn't kill me to register. I just don't want to have to give up my personal information for the privelege of communicating with people. Above all, please don't let this turn into a flame war. I never wanted this situation to blow out of proportion. Peace, Diana

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Diana, i am glad you are not mad at me! grinwell i hope this whole thing is nearly resolved... LET'S TALK ABOUT POI for a change, i nearly forgot i am spinning tonight and if i spent all this time on practising i would have given a hell of a performance!!! oh well i am totally unprepared for tonight but it's a background dancing thing rather than a performance as such (at least i hope it turns out that way!) - oh well if something goes really wrong i'll post it and at least everyone can laugh at me!!! oh did i mention that i have no glowsticks (nah i am lying i got 2 but i need another 2) and don't know where to get some from at this time of the day! oh well i got another couple of hours to find some!!! arghhhhh i am worried!happy swinging,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 27 January 2001).]

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info guys, I think my problem was that not only did I not swing or spin for over thre months, I didn't do much of anything. I think now that it's starting to cool down again (it's snowing here, but we had a high of 40 the other day)I willA) Keep in shapeB)find an indoor practice placeAnything they can do if I do decide to practice in the all night Post Office lobby?-PSMps.Jugglerloser- I can take a bit of ribbing now and then, however using the name of somone I have a bit of respect for is different. Not that I am even THAT bothered by it. I didn't expect an apology, but I would have accepted one. Thank you for coming clean. If Diana's OK with it I a too.By the way, I suppose that was a differing viewpoint too wink ? I wouldn't take you jokes much further in the future though, and that's advice from experience.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
So we are all happy bunnies again? Good. Personally I think it's all down to too much interaction with these soul-less computers... Bill Gates has written a subliminal message program into windows to make us buy more of his stuff and the side affect is that it made us all uptight. P.S. If anyone wants to use my name to launch a vicious attack on anyone then feel free - just make sure it's clever and amusing, or I will be REALLY pissed off!