Forums > Social Chat > Poi Friend vs Real Friend paradox... [Dated 2001!]

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*** Please note that this thread was dated 2001 and bumped up by Mr Cantus very recently. It's infinitely outdated in the fact that I've since met and befriended many of you and consiter many of you to be my closest friends. ***

I don't mean to offend anyone on here as I feel close to some of you, but really, when was the last time we went to a movie/play/smoked crack by the railroad tracks?

I certainly have become friends with a few of you but recently a poi buddy of mine and I were chatting about the dicotomy of poi friends and "real" friends (meaning those who know your life story/ex-girlfriend/birthday and such).

I, for one, have my poi friends (all of you and some NYC party people) and my "real" friends who I've known forever.

My question is this:

Does this bring up a paradox for you all as well? My old friends don't poi, and I never really do anything else with my poi friends. So the more I want to poi, the less I see the people who I have tons in common with.

I guess the only real solution to this is for all of you to move to NYC. Problem solved. smile

[Can I give love to my poi friends who would easily be "real friends" if I could get to see them more than three times a year!]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
Written by: OrangeBobo

but I'm not really wanting to, because I know that I will leave, and so do they.

Also, language barriers make things like that harder wink

~ Bobo

aber sowas kann dich nicht davon abhalten neue freunde zu finden. Ich denke das Deutsche, genau wie Österreicher, länger brauchen um sich zu öffnen, und eine echt gute Freundschaft aufzubauen...

und die sprache ist doch nicht so schwer oder? wink

want that translated?

wink

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Something about an ostrich....

Meh

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
No, I think I understand it... *writes it down to figure out completely later*

But many people do speak english here, enough to get by. But even still, it's not that the people aren't nice, and that they don't understand me, or that I don't understand them, I just said it made it a bit more difficult smile I think it's more that I meet these people, and get to know them, and yes, become friends, but there is always that voice in the back that says 'Don't get too attatched, you know you're getting ripped away in 7.5 months'. I guess it's just hard to take many things seriously when you know that you must leave, and probably never see or have to deal with it again, ever.

In addition to that, I spend the first two months here in a school, and made friends, and was fitting in just fine, and now I'm gone again for another 2 - 3 months. So, in Uni, I've made friends again, but I don't see my friends in school (Uni is in a different city completely) and I know that in 2-3 months, I will probably never see my uni friends again!

Argh, I'm ranting!

Ja, Deutsch ist nicht sehr schwer, ich verstehe viel, aber ich spreche ein bisschen. Ich lerne, ich lerne... In six months I'll come back, read this, and cry over how horrid my German was wink But I'm trying! (On that note, please forgive any mistakes in my German!!! ubblol)

Cantus: Österreich is Austria tongue

hughug

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
As long as you are alive and they are alive, the connections you are making can last... You never know who you're going to bump into in 23 years~!

I AM working.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Cantus! Even I know Österreich is Austria! ubblol

I haven't read this entire thread, there is far too much going on in my mind at the moment, but I would like to put in some 2 cents.

As some of you already know, I'm having some guy troubles at the moment. But out of friends in real life and friends on here who I've never met - There are more of you on here that know about it than friends in real life. In fact, when I was feeling down about it, I didn't message anyone in real life; I messaged three of my poi friends. I have only met about 5 of you wonderful people, but I feel close to a lot more than 5.

Or perhaps I'm just deranged and need a life. That's probably more likely.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
and got a phone call from x=>1 of them

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I'm guessing it was actually Cantus' usual slightly sarcastic humour...

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

and got a phone call from x=>1 of them

thats' cos he's a sweetie hug

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Austria? really? Lucky you were all her to translate it for me.

I thought the rest of it was about finding genuine friendships and something about language barriers being a problem....

But in light of the ostrich debacle I guess i must've been mistaken...

stupid fraggle!

*sulks*

Meh

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
rouge hug biggrin

well done cantus u got the most of it.

bobo- honestly if i was in your situation, i would make as many friends as possible just to have a reason to travel back every couple of years... smile

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Languages barriers being a problem...what about that cute Ukranian guy on your bus or wherever you met him, eh Bobo wink

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Cute Ukrainian guy: still cute, still Ukrainian, and my friend smile (who actually has a name, too. Aetem) And not smoking at all tomorrow (unknown reasons, other than he said he wants to b a 'sports man') And he's in my class, we just take the bus to the trainstation. Lalalala.... *twiddles thumbs*

Hmm, I think I have to clarify what I mean/feel. The people here are undoubtedly nice. And I get along with them. They get along with me, even if they have to pretend they don't know me when I go a little psycho (it doesn't happen often, hontest...!) I just feel stuck in the middle between people who are too young for me (school friends, gr 10) and people who are too old for me (Uni friends, 19+). I would probably be fine with my friends in Uni and would become great friends, if I could go out with them, which I can't, because of my age.

But really, looking at it all, none of it really matters. I made friends with three 9/10 yr olds on the train home today. Age doesn't matter at all, really. I suppose I am looking for companionship, not friendship. Someone to just sit in your dark basement listening to weird music, debating who knows what.

Language barriers aren't a problem. I just like to bring it up when I'm frustrated. Which I guess I am sometimes, which I hope is understandable.

As for haveing a reason to coming back Konsti, I do. I have a home here, and always will. My family has offered to let me stay here and finish school, if I can't go home (my parents are divorcing while I'm gone). I may take up that offer later on, for Uni biggrin On that point, Aetem also offered me a place to live if I didnt want to go home ubblol Even if I didn't have a reason to come back, I think I would. It's just such a different world here that I love. The culture is amazing. And really, friends can be made anywhere, at anytime. From all the stories from the many travellers on this site, and people who know eachother halfway across the world, and even relationships on the other side of an ocean, we should all know that.

I guess what I mean to say, is that I will only have a problem with making friends, if I let it become a problem. And I dont want it to be a problem, so I won't let it be. On that note, I'm going out with a bunch of my friends from Uni in a week for a tour of Wuppertal (yay. Wuppertal is SOOO exciting, not. But good times with friends smile )

*desperately tries to be more mature than some angsty teen home alone on a dark rainy night*

hughughug

...I wonder if any of this makes sence umm

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Page: