Forums > Social Chat > Performing Portfolio..?

Login/Join to Participate

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I was interested in making a fire performing portfolio for the purpose of better relations and as a sort of information packet to hand out to possible clients. Also, I would like to use this portfolio to help myself obtain a fire permit from a local fire station. Does anyone else have some sort of portfolio for their twirling? If so, what information do you have in it?I've come up with the following pages:Opening PageFire Performing -Explanation of Poi (with pictures) -Type of Equipment used (with pictures) -Safety (with pictures)Scheduling Events & PricingPicturesPrevious Events AttendedCan anything think of anything else that I might be forgetting????------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
this would probally fall under safety but be sure to include crowd control measures (like distance between you and the audience, aunouncing who your fire safety crew is, etc...) and it might be good to list what you would do if _____ occurred. it might be good to include a list of venue/professional fire references that can verify that you know how to handle fire. having a portfolio is a good idea, (i need to put this on my to do list) both for fire dept,venues,and as a way to document the evolution of your dance styles over the years) usually i just talk to the fire dept. in person when i have to. I know that depending on the type of fire that you are playing with it really shouldn't be that much of a problem, it can just get a little trickier if you are blowing things up or doing really big fire art/performance. good luck with the portfolio!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Just suggestion, it can be taken or drop-kicked through the posts...I'd take most of the technical explanation of the poi and the pictures out.What people usually want is a concise, picture-full outline of what you can do to entertain a crowd.They normally don't care or don't have time to ask about your equipment. I would explain some moves or techniques in terms of audience reaction i.e the BTB buttefly is a ring of fire that often mesmerizes the audience.rather than going into a description of what the butterfly is.Likewise with poi, I'd talk about twirling fire around on chains/wire rather than explain what a poi is and what is involved in its construction .Apart from that, everything is there, wouldn't want to add any more than that.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to thank you both for responding, both will help in writing my portfolio. ------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Charles --I disagree a bit about omitting details of equipment construction. CRD says he's seeking a fire permit (among other things), and I'm sure the fire department must want to know exactly how he's put those things together. (No key rings", for example.)I agree that a venue probably doesn't give a shit how they're made; they jsut want to know if he can wow the crowd, and do it safely.Maybe what's needed here is two different portfolios, one that can be given to potential venues, and another one for the fire department? (After all, the FD won't care what kind of moves he can do, or whether they "mesmerize the audience" -- nice phrase, BTW! They just want to know that he's not going to set anything on fire except his own props.)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
KMOctane...That's a valid point about the fire permit, but may get into trouble whenever new gear is used.Creating a specific description of one set of poi will mean that the permit will be useless for any other sort of equipment.I would approach it from a vehicle warranty point of view, i.e. fuels used, condition chain/cables, and a small list of safety checks that can be done on any equipment, regardless of their instructions.As a professional performer, the permits and liscences I obtain are for me as an individual who follows strict safety guidlines, and enables me to use any toys or props i want as long as they fit into those guidlines. Another slant is that an amatuer with poor safety knowledge but with good props is still dangerous. I should have explained these thoughts better in my post, but was more focussed on the venue aspect of the portfolio.Thanks for makng me explain it further... grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
When I get it to a semi-final draft, I'll post it here for all to see and comment on. More brains than one, never hurt. (: Thanks again guysCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-