Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
ive busked abroad but not very professionally - i hate talking to a crowd, how do u get started (i just lit up). any suggestions, do i maybe need a front person?

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
I would recommend looking at how other buskers attract the crowds. I think definitely you need some kind of warm up. I'm not sure where you live, but maybe you could come down to Covent Garden and have a look at the performers there to see what they do.The most successful buskers I've seen have been those who talk to the crowd and rally support up to 10 mins before they actually start doing anything. If you don't want to do that, then maybe you could get someone to do it for you (preferably with small child/puppy in tow - hey, everybody likes kids and puppies!)One guy I saw in Melbourne said he would get naked to draw the crowds in...Good luck!Princess xxx[This message has been edited by Fire Princess (edited 16 October 2001).]

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
Thanks, I can get to covent garden. Sunday isnt it, when everyone busks - do you do it in the day, night, twilight? I hate talking to crowds though. (one of my favorite quotes is 'feal the fear and do it anyway' so....

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Me, I don't busk personally. I tend to perform more for myself.There are performers in Covent Garden, as far as I can tell, every day of the week. Weekends are the busiest, though. As for time of day, I would guess afternoon to early evening would look best for fire (with the nights drawing in earlier), but really, as long as you can hack it...You didn't get that quote from an Aussie abseiling company, did you?As for talking to the crowd, it's a confidence thing. If you aren't confident enough yet, just 'fake it 'til you make it' - no-one will be able to tell if you are _acting_ confident or if you _are_ confident.Have fun!FP xxx

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
The quote is from a book with that title, quite a good book that at 1st ionly read the 1st few chapters of because it scared me (but great book really). I did nt have anything to do with any sort of activity that takes your feet off the ground. no way. i woudlnt want to 'do that anyway'.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Busking is just another type of performance, and so there are as many successful styles as there buskers.However, if you aren't so keen on talking to the crowd, I would suggest trying to overcome that.I've been busking for almost a year and a half with fire, and found you can get ten times as much, with less physical work just by involving the people watching.Ask a few of them their names, make sure its only one or two, so that you can be sure of remembering it, and use this during the performance. Try things out, even stuipid jokes, and if it doesn't work, don't worry, you've learnt not to do that the next time.I went from about $20-40 an hour and getting absolutely exhausted in two hours time to up to $300 an hour on the good nights, without being as tired or doing as much work.It definitely makes a difference, but make sure you get your tax sorted out or you might get stung with a big bill at the end of the year...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Has anyone else in the US heard the term "busking" before? Or am I just hitting the crack pipe too hard again? I certainly understand what it means... Just never heard the work before...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
NYC - what do you call it when people perform on the street for money in the US?Ade

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Street performing. smileIf you want a good front person, might I suggest Nomad's boss. He hooted and hollered for us like a pro. wink[This message has been edited by NYC (edited 17 October 2001).]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'd have said busking was more people with musical instruments than poi and stuff anyway.Jugglers and poi etc would be in the street performer category.Just an observation....------------------C@ntus

Meh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i never heard the word busking either NYC, but i am sure my crack pipe is just as big as yours wink

anyone got a light?

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking of doing some street performing in NYC soon actually,, i added some 2 1/2 foot red,white, and blue tails to my poi, and want to go into the city and maybe collect some money for a good cause er sumthin. I'm not looking to make money for myself. Figure what ever i get will go to a charity of some sort.

We are defined by the choices we make

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Cantus Busk. slang. Hence busking vbl. n. and ppl. a. Now usu., to play music or entertain in the streets, etc. 1851 MAYHEW Lond. Labour I. 215 Obtain a livelihood by ‘busking’, as it is technically termed, or, in other words, by offering their goods for sale only at the bars and in the taprooms and parlours of taverns. Ibid. (ed. 2) III. 216 Busking is going into public houses and playing and singing and dancing. Ibid. 222 Busking, that is going into public houses and cutting likenesses of the company. 1860 Cornh. Mag. II. 334 Thieves' words and phrases..selling obscene songsbusking. 1874 Sunday Mag. Xmas No. 1 Chair~caners, ‘busking vocalists’, musicians and acrobats. 1897 Daily News 21 Sept. 8/3 A highly-accomplished lady..begs for a dress in which to go busking. Busking is the jargon for wandering minstrelsfolk who play the perambulating pianos we see in the streets or on the sandsfolk who sing from morning till midnight. 1905 Evening News 12 Aug. 5/3 We are all ‘busking’ this year. It would surprise the public if they knew who constituted many of the troupes of pierrots and mysterious minstrels that are performing at the various holiday resorts. 1934 P. ALLINGHAM Cheapjack 318 Busk, to perform in the street.So it's both!Princess xx (PS: Does anyone have a dress I can have to go busking in, please? Please?)Good on you, Naganootch.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
note to selfdon't question Fire Princess' choice of words or have your own interpretation of meanings in future wink------------------C@ntus

Meh

Rolphmember
22 posts

Posted:
My advice is to watch a lot of other buskers techniques to see how they do it. Don't just copy their methods though - you should try to put your own spin on things. I think an act looks better without a front man because this way you can bond with the crowd more. They get to know what you're like and you'll earn more money.

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone. I think its scary because i feel under pressure to be funny. Guess Ive just got to bite the bullet, jump into the fire with both feet as it were.