XxXxFirestarteRxXxXmember
4 posts

Posted:
I know ive seen this topic somewhere but i couldnt find it and i did use the search for containers and storage but nothing turned up that was of any use. so...What kinda container do you use to store your fuel in??? Right now im using a glass pickle jar which prob isnt the greatest holder to be using so i was just wondering what everyone else used so i could change to an easier and safer means of storing fuel.thanks in advance grinbobby

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I use sig fuel bottles, they're expensive at £10 for a 1 litre bottle, but they're the best bottles I've found for carrying or storing fuel since they just will not break.In the interests of science, we tested one a while ago by throwing it against a wall as hard as we could, it came out with a few dents but nothing that would make it leak.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Well, I haven't started fire yet, but from my camping experience, I know that they sell these red metal bottles known as MRS fuel bottles. They're big, red, and have a really strong cap on the end, and they have high approval ratings for storing all sorts of flammable liquids. I'm not sure if they are the same as the sig bottles that 'Monkey is talking about, but I bet they're very similar. Try those, they will most likely work for you. I know I'm gonna end up using them when I start to light up. Now only if I find the time to assemble my poi.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I keep my fuel in one of two locations. Either my wide-mouth sports bottle, or in my small paint cans which hole my two sets of poi. (I keep fuel in the cans with them to let them soak. I usually carry an extra two gallons of lamp oil around as well. Emptying them only when needed.CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
A lot of service stations (gas stations ... whatever) sell proper fuel containers for not much money. You can either get 'jerry can' type things, or cylinders for holding fuel and they usually have different sizes. We usually use the 20L drums that our Shellsol T comes in for storing our kerosene.Ðraevon.

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:

Aparently fuel safe containers have a special antistatic coating inside, or may even be a slightly conductive plastic like the rubber used in some fuel and air hoses , but I dont know the details of what it is or how it works. Acording to a physics teacher I had at school there were quite a few cases of static ignighting fuel when plastic bottles and jerry cans first came out, hence specific fuel approved containers. There is also a fluridated polyethylene that is ment to be much less permiable to petrol, used in red Nalgene fuel bottles.

Having personally seen a 25mm or longer bright blue spark occur about 1994 while filling a 2L polyethylene milk bottle with petrol, I would NEVER EVER EVER fill a container other than a non internally painted aproved metal jerry can ( many metal drums have a varnish layer that may insulate the metal) or a plastic fuel container specifically approved for petrol.

As you would expect I was very nervous about emptying out the bottle I had just filled, but becuase this was part of a far more dangerous activity I cant discuss on a public forum I just made sure I volunteered to fill and conect up an undisclosed device with the petrol from the plastic milk bottles while eveyone else waited at the safe ignition point, telling them it was just standard practice that only 1 person should do that part of the job. I think I even got to pour in the fuel with nobody around but its too long ago to remember. I poured it in with absolute minimal agitation and did not see another spark. I told my fellow first time novice observers and highly experienced assistant the full story later on, but only once this knowledge would not cause them to panic or loose concentration and make even more danger for us all.

I must have filled at least a few hundred plastic bottles up like that in the past , but most were done in the day so maybey I just never saw the sparks. I also never saw any sparks emptying them at night though, so mayby I am just one very lucky person. (I am, but thats another tale that involved pure neglegence on my part and involved a bottle of metho exploding when I thought I was pouring kero into a groove in the dirt leading into a lit fire. Being sprayed with burning metho so hard that it did not get time to light, having your vision go blured and runing for your life to a tap when you know you are covered in metho and partly on fire is not fun at all).

These are 2 experiences I am most happy to share with as many people as possilbe, because fuel vapour ignighting in a container with fuel in it is not just a little pop like lighting an empty bottle, it is a very violent ejection and you wont be able to hold the container still if it happens, and burning fuel is going to be thown around at least 3 M, and a jet may come out in excess of 6 M long. If there was a second chance with this type of acident I think I' ve already used it up for you with my escape from the metho explosion.

If reading this is making you want to give up fire twirling, the good news is that D60 is THEORETICALLY not ment to produce enough vapour to be ignightable below something around 60-65C. That said I would still not swill it round and round inside a soft drink bottle and then pour it straight into a metal tin on the ground, pour it after you have opened it for a few seconds with minimal turbulence durring the transfer . (Just in case it was contaminated when you got it). There are realy complex proceedures used to refuel aircraft and transfer large amounts of fuel that involve eathing and connecting wires, but for the fuels (hopefully) used by most fire twirlers I dont think there is too much to worry about when the fuel is cold. I would still treat hot fuel with the same respect as petrol or shellite as this can ignight without a wick.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Does this mean I'm an idiot for using the 500 ml coke bottles for my fire breathing fuel?

I also have a Jack Daniels hip-flask for the old shock factor tricks. Seriously though, I tend to keep my fuels in the containers I get them in until I need to soak and then they get poured into different coloured metal buckets. You might think I'm an idiot for doing this but if there's only a small amount of colemans (used for trails and transfers) I usually just light it.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
got a pic of some sig bottles here, they are mainly used by campers to carry their fuel, meths or parafin mainly.

well here the link to the pics
https://www.reusablebags.com/store/images/products/1.00travellerclassic.jpg

I am a sig virus place me in you sig so that i can continue to replicate

Rgds Drofkcah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Whoa! Congrats on the oldest *bump* ever!

Way to use that search engine!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
lol NYC

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
If you lived to talk about it the fuel in you fire breathing bottle is likely to have a flash point above that likely to occur in your bottle and is not likely to ignight by a spark.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well the tubs of parrafin I buy from the petrol station down the road come in there own containers smile so in the interest of being lazy and not searching for anything else I will alllways use the default option wink

Alltho I do dunk my fire poi in a coffee tin...which isnt really big enough to fit both monkey fists in at once but...hey im too lazy and cheap to buy another tin so I soldure on anyway

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I store it in the perfume bottle of my mum, wondering why it's declining daily... at least it's not that much, but my mum starts complaining, that dad's not getting close... rolleyes

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol what a good idea, all children should use that trick once there parents reach a certain age and they hear them through the walls at night beerchug

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?