Page:
Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
anyone know of an internet site that has rope dart lessons? I really wanna learn how to do this art it seems like it would be alot of fun when mastered. I haven't had any luck searching around. ------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
i will see if i like it first but yes sounds good mech! i will inform you after falmouth!

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
£35?!! What the crap are you making yours out of?
(In a nice way...)

Rope - £3
Wick - £10
Small bit of chain - £2
umm

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Well the one I played with in falmoth

small bit of chain £2

rope £3

and what seemed to be about 2 metres of 118mm kev still around £25

I'm not sure whether or not mech still builds them to this kind of spec though.

mark

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i use about 9ft of quality nilon, non strech rope, locking bolts, chain, tube, core, 2ft of 4inch wick

and then add in making time, and skills and i really dont make much money on them after costs!

Step (el-nombrie)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

i will soon have finished one for strugz

bounce bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 kiss bounce2 bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

360 posts

Posted:
i dont know anyhting about them really i just like the look of them so price doesn't matter as long as its good quailty as i do usually destroy most things, being too heavy handed!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
well rosco bosco really liked his i gave him at the weekend

they are (if you ask me) well make, i make all the toys i sell better than those that i make for myself.

if you understand what i mean.......

strugz your is on hold for a few days while im all ill, but the head is made, all i ahev to do is put the rope to it.

Step (el-nombrie)

360 posts

Posted:
i will have to have a go of rosco bosco's then,

get well soon mech, we can be having you all ill!
its not nice being ill,hate it personally!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you can play with strugz's in falmouth as well, and im sure you could get some moves from durbs!

Step (el-nombrie)

360 posts

Posted:
your just being rude now mech!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Since there's some interest.... yet again! This may help? Tried to bump the thread that Flynt start too. For some reason it won't work. frown

Maybe someone else can try?

Oopps. Finally let me link it to the other thread. Good ol' HoP. wink Guess I'll do it here too. [Old link]
EDITED_BY: Patrick the Bubba Badger (1117659793)

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Wow.....

This is a really really old thread....

Jesus helps me trick people.

mr_guy99493member
23 posts

Posted:
Finally found some other people who can use a rope dart, as well as meteor. Yaay.
I should be able to learn something new now, as everyone has different styles.

Its funny how people can (complain) about old threads being re-opened. Although if a new thread was started on the same subject, their thread would be disregarded and they would be told to refer to the old thread.

Ps, blisters from poi suck

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
blisters from rope dart suck too

rope burn on the back of your neck sucks beyond all belief

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
stop running the rope then!

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Nice one Patrick.. I couldnt find it anywhere. smile hug

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
mech: but it looks so pretty and fluid

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yeah i agree on the blisters, particlularly on the index finger of the right hand.
i put in some serious practice with rope dart last year before
A: I agreed that some martial arts knowledge would be incredibly handy with learning rope dart
B:I lost my rope dart
i even went as far as to make a little two finger glove to proect my precious finger out of moose skin.
but i gave up on rope dart and learnt to juggle instead

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ubblol

you could try sowing somthing like a silk jacket onto the rope that you know you will be running over your skin, or something like that?

what i would say is that try not to run the rope, as you will then not e staying true to the nature of the weapon, you will get a much better effect and level if you do remeber this is a weapon

or im just rambling and i should go to sleep

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
SMIT!!!

biggrin

hug2

good to see you again sir.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
a rope dart instructional video that ive got on loan from ataxia has told me to get thicker rope. after using ataxias rope dart with 1/2 inch kevlar on it, its definetly worth the extra cost / weight.

am planning on making fire rope dart once i get some money

cheers, pete biggrin

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
is that half inch kevla rope?

mine is really good rope, and a HUGE head (loads of fire, and a solid burn time)

Step (el-nombrie)

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
indeed its half inch

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
owwww the possibilities......have you thought about using a medium range climbers rope?

i used that on my first one, bets rope i have ever used, strong and tought, cheep in comparision, and also dount burn like kevlar.

Step (el-nombrie)

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
no im yet to try that, tis a good idea though, i shall get some whence im next at kathmandu.

cheers, pete biggrin

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I use half inch pure kevlar rope, very forgiving on the hands during early learning, but yeah trying not to run the rope through the hand has definit advantages.

mark

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
I do alot of one handed Poi shenanigans, during a recent visit by some English Friends (Strugs, nate and UCOF) i was told to come here to seek the knowledge of the rope dart, so theres gonna be a workshop huh !?? Falmouth here i come then smile

p.s. over here in Ireland, materials and resources are Scarce to say the least, and where and when available... Bloody Expensive, is there any chance of one being manufactured for me and purchased on arrival ? may i enter into private message negotions with a possible builder? ubbrollsmile

if not cheers any way and see you all at Maenporth beach smile

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
hey, have you played with strugz or nates rope darts, i made theirs

ok, so i just looked at the wiki board for falmouth 4 and i am doing a rope dart workshop, for real (best get something like a plan down)

its going to be more or less a jamming session for people to trade tricks and sort tricks out.....

what i plan to do is work mainly on wraps and stall, and a couple of jumps and tech moves for people and see what other people have

im hoping to be able to bring some targets down to use for pratctice to get the lines and planes right for people.

pm me if you want to talk about darts

Step (el-nombrie)

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Hi all,
There sure are a lot of posts in this thread aint there. Been reading a few of the early ones and have bit of a rant welling up.
There were a few post suggesting that rope darts (and other martial weapons) shouldn’t be 'played' around with or are ripping off disciplines of a martial arts form.
As a martial artists I disagree with this strongly on oh so many levels.

For a start, there is no reason why a non-black belt should not start their weapons training. My old system of Kung Fu had many clubs. My club was thankfully taught by a wise instructor who seeing my interest in weapons taught me and the class. The other classes had to wait until they were black belts before being allowed to touch a staff or spear. In my experience the spear posed no more or less of a threat to me when I was a white belt than when I was black belt. The only difference was that while the other black belt candidates were timid with finally being allowed to use weapons I was more confident and relaxed. While we are often told not to run before we can walk there is no reason why you cant start practicing to swim.

As for ripping off martial arts disciplines. Most of the practical martial arts disciplines don’t have the flashy (but cool) spinning moves as part of their basic principles. You wont believe how many times you can poke someone while they are busy spinning their stick. Instead the spins and flash have been added to the martial arts as an eye-catcher and for performance. The one discipline most guilty of this is Wu-Shu. I don’t mean to offend anyone but every Wu-Shu class I have been to, the empasis has always been on technical acrobatic moves and not technical combat moves. And there is a reason for this. During the Revolution in China traditional martial arts schools were closed and persecuted. Many teachers fled to other countries such as Malaysia. Realizing that China was in dager of losing a big part of its heritage the Peoples party revived Kung fu in such a form where it posed no threat to the party. Ie non-combative, and so was the birth of the sport Wu Shu, which is now more a performance than martial art.
I have used several poi inspired moves in my nine-section whip demos and conversely rope-dart and whip moves in my poi spinning, and don’t think either style comprimised the other.

Rant over

If you're getting hit, move faster...

Check page 30 for Directions

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Pheeww.
Sorry there are some things that wind me up for the need to rant.
Anyways. I have a little experience with the chain whip and rope dart and happy to share my knowledge with anyone (Black belt or not ;op ).
Mostly stuff I got from frame skipping dvd's and through boshing myself on the head.
I’ll be at the Clapham Common meet this Sunday (10th July) look for the short Chinese one!
KK

If you're getting hit, move faster...

Check page 30 for Directions

Page: