Page:
Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
anyone know of an internet site that has rope dart lessons? I really wanna learn how to do this art it seems like it would be alot of fun when mastered. I haven't had any luck searching around. ------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
SteelWngsThat was an awesome post showing the different skills required at each level of development.What style of martial arts is that for and are you a practicianer of that style?

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
To kill some one with grass you take a handfull of it and cram it down their throat untill they choke to death. rolleyes Or there are poisonous variaties of grass as well...... Dru,I would bet money that the style that Steelwing's post outlines is Shao-lin Kung fu. Looking at the skills taught and the mix of tai chi, northern and southern styles and the animal styles. The format looks very similer to what the Shao-lin school here in Denver teaches.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 11 January 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
:thinks of three section and shudders:i found an old motorcycle helmet in my basement, and i wear it now when i practice three section, the thing feels deadly, just holding it, and i can do basic rotors and turning now, but it still feels dangerous, and even though i look like a total ass while practicing, im still gonna wear it...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
*Sick Puppy rubs the welts on his head*I wish I had a motorcycle helmet frown The three section is definatly diabolical. I think mine seriously has it in for me. Yet, I keep thinking how encreadibly dope it's gonna look when it's on fire. I think I've taken one too many blows to the head......------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
steel wingsit depends on which tribe you talk to, but the poi were definately designed to kill people

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
As for styles I moved a round a lot so I have studied Judo, Ju-jutsu, various forms of kenpo, tai-chi and a little ninpo I want to start studying with a friend of mine that takes tai shing pek swar.------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Sickpuppy, Maximus considers it highly unethical to post grass blade killing techniques on the internet.

mr_guy99493member
23 posts

Posted:
For those of you that are saying that the rope dart should only be learnt by qualified instructors and so forth... what do you say to people who live in reigonal australia? The nearest wushu school is a 3 hour drive away, and to practice regularly is an impossibility.

And for the difficulty aspect, i made a crappy ropedart out of some nylon rope and a size 5 snapper sinker, (pitty its made of lead and is so maleable), and i can already manipulate it well.

Maximus, as for your jackie chan foot stall, the way i perform it, the dart doesnt stall or change directions, the dart wraps around the foot, and just before it tightens around it you pull your foot out and send it flying. Sorry if you are experienced in this and know what you are talking about.

I am wondering though, how do you prevent all the rope burns and blisters i have been getting on by right hand? I found out how to stop the bruises on my knees though, stop hitting them with the big chunk of lead.

For those looking to learn, there is a book "Soft weapons: Nine section Whip and rope dart" ISBN: 7119018833 which is all over the internet although sold out in many online shops. You can learn the basics from this book and then play around until you can make up your own techniques.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
moving this thread as it belongs in other toys not social discussion.

sorry for any inconvenience.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
How confusing - a 3 year old thread which is replied to out of the blue and then moved to another place that alread has a rope dart thread ubbloco ubbtickled

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
ok so i started rope dart this weekend, its great fun.
i can do some good throws and can keep it in motion and am just starting to play with a few wraps and bringing it behind my back to catch behuingd me then turnign sharply into a throw, my accuracy is good for s%&t but im sure it will improve.
ive read through the thread and have taken a lot from it.
does anyone have any advice for an absolute beginner??
smit

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Er, get lessons? confused wink

Seriously, though it's the best way.
Failing that - practice with something soft on the end, watch a lot of videos and don't ever close your eyes...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

addict
469 posts

Posted:
runs off to look for videos to buy and download.
lessons??? who would teach me in notts??
ta very much anyways durbs

this one is shorter

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
ok, look, whilst i appreciate the eventual moving of this thread back into existance, and the closing of the other thread, is it maybe possible to get the More RECENT one moved over from the old bulletin board? this thread is very old, doesnt contain nearly as many moves or advice posts as the other one that was started early last year on the old bulletin board.

Once again, thanks to the mods and proggys and all, you guys do a great job, but it'd make a bit more sense if teh other thread was transferred over.... It was called Fire Rope Dart! started by me, on the 8/1/2003 if thats any help...

Cheers! ubblove

Currently on the right side up of the world.

mr_guy99493member
23 posts

Posted:
I have been practicing rope dart for about one month now, and have built up a few techniques from watching videos, and i am wondering if any of you have thought up your own tricks?

I can perform the wrap kick jackie chan does in shanghai noon with the horseshoe, accurate to a thin vertical plane, but not to accurate heights (the northern kick???)

i can also do a vertical ascention, rope swings to the right,(for right handers) and behind the body to the left, where you move your bent left elbow under it when it is at the top of its swing, let it swing back to the right and catch it on your right elbow in the same way, for the throw, you flick the dart upwards with your right elbow, so it wraps around your left again, it should go around it about 810 degrees,(two and 1/4 full rotations) before you straighten your elbow and release it upwards,
make sure you raise the rope you are holding in your right hand above your head or youll get rope burns all around your face,
this can be directed in all directions instead of upwards by wrapping more or less around the left elbow,
i have a huge bruise around my elbow from wrapping to tight and fast so go slow to start with.
a clip of this can be found on www.wushucentral.com in the video archive in flexible weapons, "someguy" does it partway through his routine.

an easy one, when spinning CCW in front of you, wrap it under your right leg, let go of the rope and grab the new end(the end that has come under the leg) spin it another rotation and then place your left foot behind your right knee so that the dart wraps (stalls) just on it, then kick it out in front of you with your left foot, making sure to let go of the rope with your right hand.

i have tried techniques like the wraps that Chan does, around both arms and behind the back but cannot get them to flow smoothly, does anyone have any ideas,

it would be great if this thread got back onto the topic of rope dart instead of its validity as a performance art.

addict
469 posts

Posted:
mr guy pmed me aas i think he lost them so here they are.
i found them useful if impossible but perseverance is key. i ca actually do a couple of moves now.
original pm follows

before there are some rope dart scenes in scooby doo, shanghai noon, and a few jet li movies, as listed at https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/movies.htm

video clips are at:
https://www.wushucentral.com/videos/china/1995_nationals/someguy_ropedart.mpg

https://www.wushucentral.com/videos/miscellaneous/library/flexible/zhong_qiyin-rope_dart.mpg

https://www.wushucentral.com/videos/miscellaneous/library/flexible/li_jin_heng-ropedart.mpg

https://www.wushucentral.com/videos/miscellaneous/library/flexible/nian_yuehao-meteorball.mpg

https://media.wushuonefamily.net/media/uk_demo1_2003/chris_gillham_rd.mpg

https://media.wushuonefamily.net/media/uk_demo1_2003/chris_gillham_wc.mpg

https://www.kungfuschool.com/ropedart.MPG

https://www.myams.org/home/vogue/CanNats2k3/ropedart3.mpg

they are all the ones i could find, and also there is a vcd for sale at https://www.thewushucentre.com/beijingwushuteam.htm

featuring li jin heng, i think he is the world rope dart champion or something so that should be interesting

this one is shorter

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Found this pic of me doing some Rope Dart stuff - thought it was quite cool.

Thanks to Quixotic for the picture

HERE

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
It says the file is inaccessible! frown frown frown

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I like the zhong qiyin clip....I think it's the sound track that really finishes it off tho! wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Fixed biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
dats a super fine piccar Durbs!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DFZBRONZE Member
Christian Death Metal Anyone?
313 posts

Posted:
it came up for me, very nice.

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
-- Steven Wright

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
ubbloco rolleyes eek very nice...(runs arounds screaming: SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!)
AH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
durbs, how long is you rope dart, im going to make mine this week after playing with yours (rope dart that is all you dirty lil rude ppl! wink ) at spitz i rekon its about time i made my own!

then i can get flynt to show me how to look cool for once! biggrin

laterdays

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well - measurement wise, with your arms out-stretched the dart should be just hovering off the ground.

So for 'ickle me, it's about 10 foot long. The rope I think is actually 14 foot, but I just wrap it round my hand a couple of times.

It is possible to use a longer one, but at first, the above measurment is just right smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cool thankies durbs, ill start making that tonight i rekon, i make it with two diff heads to swap round, so i dont destroy my wick on the floor!

cheers man!

Step (el-nombrie)

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
There was a really great video on kazaa awhile back, like 2 yrs ago, but it had this gurl and she was sick...it was easily the best weapons femonstration wink i have ever seen! and it kicked the crap outta any octogon or actuall fighting there is on the net.

If you havnt seen it, check it out, the blade on her rope dart was off the hook! And she did things that made Jackie Chan look average.

I can remember the exact name but it was under the search "kung fu" or "gong fu".

addict
469 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

Well - measurement wise, with your arms out-stretched the dart should be just hovering off the ground.

It is possible to use a longer one, but at first, the above measurment is just right smile

yeah smit agrees . i started with 30 ft of rope too much in other words. ive cut it down to 16 ft now (im quite a tall chap) and that works fine for me.
the length of rope you use varies a lot with your moves, and you can always (as durbs says) keep a bit wrapped up in your hand.

as for the head i have a fire head with about 4" of chain which works nicely
i also (take note step) have a head made from an old solid rubber ball which i chopped into the shape of a dart and added feathers to.
perfect for practice

this one is shorter

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
And if it hasn't been said recently, then wushu is very dangerous. It certainly is one of the most dangerous training i have ever practiced. I pray no-one visiting HoP or watching hollywood hurt themselves or others - I remains to be said on this or any rope-dart thread that rope dart training is safest taught only once empty hand forms are mastered, because the main rule of martial arts applies: it is easily learnt but very difficult to master. These are the words of someone who can't run or jump for fear of breaking their leg eek!
take good care!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

then i can get flynt to show me how to look cool for once! biggrin

Mech, what planet are you from?

I have not now, nor probably ever will look cool doing rope dart.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Page: