Page: ...
Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
anyone know of an internet site that has rope dart lessons? I really wanna learn how to do this art it seems like it would be alot of fun when mastered. I haven't had any luck searching around. ------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

FireMousenewbie
1 post

Posted:
I've just started playing with the rope dart recently. Mostly I've learned from watching the videos at wushucentral.com. I'm wondering if anyone can recomend a site or source for videos/DVD's, and titles that feature rope dart. I'm also interested in meeting up with anyone in my area. It's too bad most of you are overseas from me.

Cheers

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
DUDES, DUDES, SCOOBY DOO HAS ROPE DART IN IT!!!!!!!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

psyflowerSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
ok, i would love to learn rope dart BUT i really dont wanna hit myself in the head with a lump of steel...
anyone got any suggestions? whats the best way to find/make a 'soft' practice style rope dart?
could you just use a really long sock poi?
cheers,
-x-

there's something you dont see everyday....

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
get a lenght of rope & 3 tennis balls. cut a hole through each tennis ball (thru to other side). poke the rope through all 3 balls. tie a knot at each each so the balls dont fly off or move up the rope. done!

E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i used a rubber door wedge

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Step 1 - get a bit of hemp rope.
Step 2 - Tie a monkey fist knot in one end.
Step 3 - Cut off the excess.

Make sure you use hemp rope. I lost several layers of skin to using climbing rope this weekend...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I don't remember you doing much Rope Dart this weekend! Not enough to cause friction burns anyway!

The workshop was fun though... thanks for lending my yours

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Well, the same could be said about fire meteors. A fire meteor was designed to further sharpen one's skills with a meteor hammer. I agree that trying to "master" something like that through reading about it or watching a DVD is disrespectful, but if you're trying to learn a bit about it because you're interested in it for whatever reason rather than just to add it to someone's act it not really a problem.

As for any accual instructional videos on rope darts you might be able to find a DVD on it if you look around on a martial arts supply website. You just have to look around. The other option is to find someone who already knows it and get thm to teach you.

Written by: Anonymous

Knagi,

Rope dart is a martial arts application / discipline, not just another gimmick to add to your show. You will not master it by looking at a book or a website, and to suggest you can, IMHO demonstrates a lack of respect for the martial art that you are ripping off.

However, if you are serious about it, go learn from a qualified teacher in your area. Dont expect that you will just 'pick it up'. There is a lot more to it than just swingning a poi around.

Josh

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
Well if you already have a rope dart, you can remove the dart and replace it with a padded counter weight (most fighting grade rope darts have free spinning swivle links similar to poi.)

If you want to make one just get some hemp rope and some foam material put a counterweight in the foam and attach it to the rope.

Hemp rope is the only rope that I've found that doesn't cause serious friction burns with use.

Written by: psyflower

ok, i would love to learn rope dart BUT i really dont wanna hit myself in the head with a lump of steel...
anyone got any suggestions? whats the best way to find/make a 'soft' practice style rope dart?
could you just use a really long sock poi?
cheers,
-x-

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I've got a 'traditional' and fire rope dart.
Fire: 1/2 inch kevlar rope with two large (10mm thick) quick releases hooked onto a 2.5 inch monkey fist. Found the cathedral style fire head a little light.
My traditional one has a thinner rope, and I don't know the weight of the spike (Heavier than the fire head though). The thinner rope gives me greater rope burn and bruises on the backs of my upper arms when doing the elbow fighting technique. I think I will soon switch this to a 1/2 inch rope.
Soccer style shin guards are a good 5 dollar investment, particularly if you've got boney shins like myself.

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Just in the process of making a 'traditional' rope dart, although having just looked at some of the online prices i might just buy one, the fire rope darts i make are based upon a 22mm 6 inch former with around a 1 meter of four inch kevlar, stainless steel d links and stainless steel long link chain, i exclusively use 10mm braided aramid core (kevlar) rope since it dose not seem to cause rope burns, (note this is not the same kevlar rope used in fire ropes, which will cause rope burns), its a marlow rope product, not a hybrid.

mark

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Where are you guys getting your rope burns.

I use clmibing rope and only seem to get burns around the neck when the rope gets wet (I darted in the rain a few times).

Solid metal dart all the way.....pain is the best way to learn

And with regard to the respect/disrespect thing. I dont think learning from a DVD or book or video clip is disrespectful at all.
I have one book and one dvd. Both from people who know there stuff and who I respect. I would much rather learn from them and get the correct history, apllication and theory than from the two so called "qualified" instructors I went to who knew squat.

KK

If you're getting hit, move faster...

Check page 30 for Directions

FeueresserSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
Wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a site I can purchase a good fire rope dart, my last one finally gave up on me, after am good 4 years and about 10 heads, I like to spin a lot. . .I know Luxotica no longer has them in stock, and I have searched for hours to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
-Mat

Use fire to your will, but respect it always.
:Heaven and Earth and I are of the Same Root, The Ten Thousand Things and I are of One Substance: -Zen Master Sojo
Dammit.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I only get rope burn on the back of my neck, and only after about an hour. Blister on the first finger takes 90 minutes.

I much prefer the metal rope dart, but it's good to have the fire option.

Just make your own fire rope dart. I made mine from essentially HOP constituents. All except the 10mm quick links. I would also recommend making a cover for the fire head to ensure any hits with the ground dont rip up the kevlar.

FeueresserSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
Good call, thank you. And definitely a good tip for the head cover, definitely a helpful thing.
-Mat

Use fire to your will, but respect it always.
:Heaven and Earth and I are of the Same Root, The Ten Thousand Things and I are of One Substance: -Zen Master Sojo
Dammit.

Tonicnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I just started learning this the other day and I already am pretty decent at the elbow throw, the kicking forwards and reverse, the underarm, and the hand wraps. I accomplished this by having someone kinda show me the kicks and elbow, then I went home, tied to shoe strings together and tied on of my poi wicks to the end. After searching youtube.com for a while I found some more moves to learn. Its just like poi stalling, but with more body contact. In my opinion you can learn the basics of just about anything off the internet
EDITED_BY: Tonic (1153762031)

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Ok so, i am new to this, i made a rope dart at EJC and have been playing lots and now ive found the need to name moves. I get the obvious ones like leg/arm wraps but whats the official term for when you strike or send out the dart? Also what are the basic forms/moves that i should learn?

Thanks guys
hug

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Fighting technique.
Eg Elbow, Shoulder, Knee, Leg, and Neck fighting techniques.

Learn all of the above, and double arm wraps and the variations, over the neck wraps, carry-thru's.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
So would i be right in thinking they normally put little flags on the end of Jiu Jie Bian so you can see the head spin?

I'd always thought it was a tassle before..

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Here's some of the moves I did vids of with explanations on how to do them

[Old link]

About a year old now and pretty much the last time I did any rope dart. Should probably pratice more and do some new vids too.

With regards to naming moves....well the official chinese martial arts names are all kinda impratical if not silly. Things like "bird kick the branch".
I guess because the number of Rope Darters is pretty low there isnt really a naming standard...

KK

If you're getting hit, move faster...

Check page 30 for Directions

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I just learnt (daft anime smile) a ropdart is called a jouhyou in Japanese, normal problem of bad translation / searching for phonetic romaji (instead of katakana/kanji) applies, but it seems it's vaguely right as there is one rope dart pic on google images searching for that smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
ooh, think i know the tricks but yay for vids i'd missed too, I'll watch them shortly, thanks ImortalNinja .. whever you may have got to in the last few years smile

Merlin told me at BristolJC 2006 that he'd been using rigging rope from a boat yard, the stuff designed for sailboat sails.

utterly brilliant idea, that stuff's designed specifically to be really strong,gripable, but also flow through hands when you want as easily as possible without burning!!
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168742452)

Page: ...