dcanseemember
11 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone.... Gonna be doing a show in early november...Seriousl;y need to come up with some costume ideas but can really think of anything???Any ideas???D

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
There are some wonderful fabrics around atm that are covered in sequins, These look fantastic when doing fire. However they are not fireproof, but you can get fireproofing spray from army surplus stores. my costume is (all same sequined fabric) Trousers, cut off into shorts attached to bottom of trouser just above the knee with suspenders and a lace up the back top. Anything 'spangley' looks great. Hope this helps. ------------------Onelove,Thistlefirepixie smile[This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 12 October 2001).][This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 12 October 2001).]

Are we nearly there yet?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Great question, lots of answers but lots morwe questions firstAre you male or female?Do you want to look tidy and formal?Do you want a costume that won't seem to be marked if you get hit?What is the show for? Maybe you could fit in with their theme and make them more impressed with your professionalism.What sort of surface will you be on?What will your surroundings be?Do you have long or short hair?Fairskin? Dark Skin? Freckled Skin?Do you like showing off your (ahem) attributes or are you more comfortable wearing more suggestive clothes than revealing clothes?And so on, throw a few answers at us and we'll be happy to help out...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I had a problem like this. it wasn't exactly for a performance, but i did have to where a costume (it was cheaper to get in). Anyway, i just did full tribal paint on my upper body and that was ok, but not fire proof, but i didn't get burned anyway, cause when they poi hit me, the worst that happened was a cool little fire trail, so it looked like i planned it. and it doesn't look to bad if ya hit yourself, the black marks blend in.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i was just having an idea for earthdance this weekend that i think i am going to put into effect, figured i would run it by you in case you liked it.now mid you i am a male and i like to twirl with my shirt off.i have very bright yellow pants, and i think what i am going to do is put some yello blending to orange paint from the bottom of my torso up and from my wrists up, it will go half way up my body and end if flickering flames so it looks like i have fire on my body. i guess i could explain it a little better, but it was just a quick thought.

anyone got a light?

Chotysmember
91 posts

Posted:
Try dressing up as a celebrity or someone you like, a own a Slipknot suit with the bar code and all and i have a kabuki mask painted like joey which is sweet to twirl in (especially because as well as looking sweet it protects your face) so try to look like someone famous? helpful?:Chotys:

dcanseemember
11 posts

Posted:
Hello all. Thanks or your input...Well I thought that I should give abit more info about what this is for.....its a techno event in london, im going to be doing staff and poi on stage but not fire....So the fabrics that I use shouldnt be a problem.....Im male with short hair.....Basically in not so many words DARK TECHNO!!!! (EVIL)Input is greatly valued!!!.:. grineviant:.:.

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Oh pozee, I was just ROTFL at the image of you in your outfit, until I remembered that you were American and so will be wearing yellow TROUSERS rather than the bright yellow underpants I was envisioning...Sorry dcansee, we (Fireweavers) are also at the costume design stage and have not come up with anything better than 'black t-shirts' so far. What about some of this topless UV bodypaint? Especially if you don't have to worry about getting burnt. Sounds interesting...

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Oops! if you're male my suggestions aren't very helpful (guys just don't look good in sequins). How about totally blacking yourself out so only the poi/staff are visible in the uv light, I have tryed this and it looks COOL! What techno event are you performing at & when? I am going to London soon & might come take a look at you.Onelove, Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

dcanseemember
11 posts

Posted:
Hey ThistleYeah we thought about blacking ourselves out but I want to have some sort of impact.. Ive got an idea for some cool trowsers just need to figure something out for top bit now.The event is going to be on the 2nd novermber at the rex in stratford.. Its called Antiworld..Acid techno, psy trance and acid trance...Thanks again.Deviant

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Hmm dark techno - I like Thistles idea with the blacking out - one of those glostaffs would look awesome like that!Other than that methinks something cyber/robotic would be cool with a staff - using some robotic dance transitions into fluidic twirling. You would have to polish your liquid popping!For the poi how about torn/shredded black leather/pvc/other material that looks torn to shreds - picture Trent Reznor and you might know what I mean. The shreds could be left dangling to complement the poi - don't know if they might get tangled up tho.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Pixiemember
8 posts

Posted:
I play a bit with makeup when I have time. For a dark techno feel, I'd suggest black with lines of silver or gold (whichever suits your skin colour better), really shiny if you can, shiny black pants are good too. Possibilities in black handprints (really easy to do) if you like twirling shirtless. Fro the line-work, sweeping lines or really geometric, a brush that's thick enough to see from a distance. Try to echo the curls of fire. Strips of shiny fabric are easily tack-stitched onto black clothes. If you can get anything UV or glow in teh dark that also helps, and run some body glitter through your hair, spike it up a bit. Light chains are also easily added with safety pins (which also make a cool effect). Tear holes in a cheap black t-shirt. Be really careful not to have anything dangling too loosely about your clothes though because it can hook your gear while you're twirling, or you can get your hands tangled up. Make sure you don't have lots of loose threads, like torn jeans they have this tendancy to catch fire.Basically glitter, shiny things, adn black. Black means the soot doesn't show, and if you've painted black on then it'll all happily blend in.

FTA- Fire Twirlers AnnonymousIt's not just an act, it's an addiction

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
I am hopefully going to get some Belly dancing gear soon. I usually always wear bells around my wrists (when I remeber) I want to get a belly dancing belt and bra, see what that looks like.I know they sound great. I like jingly jangly things smileHopefully they will look great too. grin------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
bright yellow underpants, that might not be a bad idea. "look everyone its fire-boy with his magical underpants"key music: dun du du dun

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have it!black boiler suit, with safety reflecto stuff fabric glued in lines and hoops around your torso arms and legs. It looks sick with fire twirling, and will fit right in with the musical theme.Try and get someone to video it, I'd LOVE to see it.Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
dcanseeHas Antiworld moved then? I thought it was in London somewhere. Keep meaning to go. Not made it yet.You'll have to come and visit Headcharge sometime (if you've not been already) it's in the Arches in Sheffield. And we have a fast growing community of spinners, twirlers and performers. Plus some of the finest acid techno/psychedelic trance acts around playing every month.Check out the site @ www.headcharge.net grin------------------C@ntus

Meh