Evilsunmember
15 posts

Posted:
It's official: "Jedi Knight" is ON the list of religions for the 2001 UK census. A campaign to get people to write the entry on their census forms has succeeded in the term being included on the list of religions, alongside Church of England, Roman Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist and Hindu. Sufficient numbers of people wrote the entry in for it to be allocated its own code for the census processing team to use. But officials from the Office of National Statistics are keen to point out that just because Jedi Knight has been given its own code, that does not confer on it the status of official recognition. "We are not defining what a religion or a faith might be," a spokeswoman said. "We are recognising what some may have entered on their census form and ensuring that our coding framework will cater for it." Other religions which are included on the list, alongside the better known cases, are the Church of Free Love, Wiccan, Divine Lightmission, and Coleraine Christian Centre. Shortly before the census last April, an e-mail was circulated in the UK stating that if 10,000 people put Jedi on the census form, it would become a "fully recognised and legal religion". A similar thing had previously happened in New Zealand, when citizens were led to believe they needed 8,000 signatures to make Jedi an official religion. Also on the list Druidism Satanism Free thinker Wicca Celtic Pagan The list of religions - posted on the statistics office website, and available under "Internet links" - is simply the list of answers to the religion question. It is not yet clear how many people will have written Jedi on their form, as the counting process is still going on. Results are to be published in Autumn 2002. And even then, the information might not easy to obtain, as it will not be published separately in the official census reports released by the statistics office. Anyone wishing to find out the number would need to commission a special report to be produced. hehehehehehehe tongue grin Evilsun[This message has been edited by Evilsun (edited 11 October 2001).]

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
Heh, me and my friend went one better.He bullied me into putting "Zensunni Wanderer" in the religion box, after the pseudo-Bhuddist warrior-monks from Frank Herbert's Dune saga.Now you all think I'm sad, so I'll run away and pyro some more things...D------------------'Only ever use the pink kind...'

Posh ravers wear ties.

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
hey hey, I did that to in our latest census, alongside buddhist and pagan. I was also told that if 10,000 people put it on their census it would become an official religion, "May the force be with U".Last census we had some fun to, we became Superlapserians and some other witty belief system in the eyes of the government, hehe.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
I put my religion down as Jedi Knight, cool, so i'm a real Jedi smile, Better keep the force.------------------Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Excellent! Me too... grin

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
snap.. so let all of us jedi unite

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Virtually everyone I know put themselves down as Jedi. Even my very straightlaced, Pure Maths studying former housemate Dave. AND my 58 year old father. Who phoned me up in the middle of the night, pleased as punch, to boast about it.The government made a statement shortly after the census saying that they were going to disregard jedi element. I'm glad they changed their minds. It's more fun this way..... grin

Meh

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
During census time in Australia (and i think NZ where i think this originated) there was public announcement by the Board of Statistics that if Jedi knight was put on census form then you could be finedAnd the 10,000 thing is a farse...it may be easy to start a religion, but not on a census.------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
no one ever said it was real, Frenzie. We just said did it that's all. We weren't trying to start anything. Just have a bit of fun. wink------------------C@ntus

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Frenzie Since posting the above response I have realised it sounded a little harsh. This was not my intention and I thought i should apologise to you in case you thought i was being nasty. It's probably me being overly paranoid, and no-one would've noticed if i hadn't drawn attention to it, but.... Frenzie, I'm sorry if my words caused offence.------------------C@ntus

Meh

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
When the census in Australia happened, I was living in a tent, and I never got my form back in, so I'm a Jedi that doesn't exist. Beat that.Don't you think glowstick poi looks like a kind of Ninja Jedi Tai Chi hybrid? No? Just me then... ------------------Your parents were wrongFire is good Play with fire[This message has been edited by audax (edited 15 October 2001).]

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
audaxI've made myself some glowstick Nunchuka if that's any help?------------------C@ntus

Meh

Rolphmember
22 posts

Posted:
For all you Jedi Knights out there...https://www.jedireligion.com/forum/

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
I was working in a shitty department store when Episode One came out, so I had to sell lots of those big light-sabre staffs to snotty little kids......I always secretly wanted one myself though wink heh, does that make me a Jedi? In NZ, the census asks you where you were on a particular night, as well as where you normally live. So some friends of mine had a 'census party' and got all their friends to come round and crash on their floor.....and they all had to be listed on the form! winkhehehexaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....