CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Wow! Unicyclists, Unicyclists, everywhere I look!There seems to be a lot of one-wheeled nutters on this site, and I'd love for everyone to who can ride to introduce themselves and say a few words about what they've done so I can see how much better than me everyone is.I'll start though.Been riding for about 1 year after 6 months of trying to learn and not getting anwhere.It's taken me a long time to learn backwards and to hop down steps but it looks like I'm starting to pick things up a little faster now.I usually ride home from Penrose to the City 3-5 times a week when the weathers good, which is about 8 kilometres with the last 1.5k being a steep traffic-heavy road called Khyber Pass.I own two uni's now, a 20 inch which has taken an absolute beating and a 24 inch for offroad and longer rides...Most memorable uni-moment* When my friend Peter Bier rode down the Mt Eden Crater without *ssing off!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
i borrowed a unicycle off a mate for about 6 months..... after 6 months of sporadic, hel-hearted attempts at riding, i gave it back.if i'm lucky i can ride 2 metres. yay.

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
WIKID!!There are other one wheeled nutters out there as well as me!!Ive been unicycling for about 7/8 yrs now and love it (apart from the saddle sore!!)It goes down really well at uni with the guys, they think its great!!I do loadsa stuff on it like juggle (clubs rings knives and fire!!) as well as bunny hops, skipping and backwards stuff.Although poi is NOT a good idea on a uni you can club swing (very similar) whilst riding. (I started off as a club swinger 9 yrs ago b4 poi was popular over here.)The finale to my show is to ride the unicycle blindfolded whilst juggling knives. This takes much practice and is really dangerous but it gets the crowd going and then I get more money!!Im working on a few tricks at the mo which are the kick up (lying the uni on the floor and stepping onto it and mounting it with a kick up) and walking the wheel.Keep practicing and having fun. its all worth it in the end!!!Gruff

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
What's your most memorable uni-moment Gruff?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Wooohooo other one wheeled nutters!!!I don't currently have one in my possesion, but there is one of mine still in nz somewhere....will have to find it one day, I left it with a cute girl and told her to look after it for me...I used to have a 20' for playing round on...and a bit of Municycling (mtbiking on the unicycle) and I built myself a 6 ft one out of bike parts etc. It was fantastic....riding along the street...looking down and over everyones back yards...and they were all just going "what the @#$!" hehehe. Was a bummer to juggle clubs etc, as I kept dropping them and then it was a damn long way back down to get them!!!------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
My most memorable uni moment was when I was about 18 and performing at a local school fete.The summer was hot and scorching, the uk was in a state of drought (hosepipe ban the lot!!) and the school field was tinder dry and yellow.The finale to my act was to juggle fire whilst riding the uni arena to the roar of the crowd.Im usually pretty competent about juggling fire and unicycling, but me being a prat forgot to check the bolt on my seatpin which had worked its way loose.I came to turn a corner, I went one way, my uni the other and my fire clubs another!Needless to say it wasnt the roar of the crowd I took my bow to but the roar of the blazing school field - OOOPS!!!I was never invited back again although I did get paid.(I have been on sky sports playing unicycle hockey - WOOOHOOO)Whats yours?

PoiGodmember
3 posts

Posted:
I can ride.. kinda.. im currently trying to learn how to spin poi while riding which has more than once helped me find the pavement

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Ive been there!!Poi'ing whilst riding is lethal and I really dont reccomend it!! Ive been there and got the cuts and grazes to prove it!!!You are far better off using juggling clubs/firesticks to swing instead as you have much more control over where they go around your body as youre riding.You can do pretty much all the regualar poi moves too, which makes it even easier.The other one thats kinda cool is short staff on the uni - I use my devilstick and its great as long as you can keep your balance long enough!!!Keep riding,Gruff

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Being useless at poi, I never even considered trying it however had a go at doubles on my unicycle at the Auckland club last friday. Wobbled all over the place the first few times and got 'bucked' off.But ended up being able to do DOUBLE FIGURE 8's and even turn slightly.This is even better than when I started doing single staff on the uni, however I think I might need to buy a new 20", it's pretty much stuffed now...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?