Forums > Social Chat > How do you fix a bad night of spinning?

Login/Join to Participate

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone.I had this really bad night of spinning last night. It was at my school's homecoming. Not only did I mess up one too many times, I broke a glowstick and one of my strings fell apart. Not only was I down, totally embarrassed and in a pissed off mood, the music totally sucked big time, and this episode almost totally ruined my evening. Any good suggestions as to prevent this whole thing from occurring again?I did a search on bad nights of spinning and couldnt come up with anything. I need help!!!Sorry about that, I just needed to let off some steam. But still, anyone have good suggestions?

sxtc_2010member
3 posts

Posted:
well man, all i can tell ya, is that i think each of us has had bad nights of spinning and stringing. it is always good to have a rig that you can easily replace a broken glow stick. also keep extra strings around. the rig i have always used was a pair if 70" round boot strings and i always tied the strings at the ends by putting both of the plastic coated pieces to gether and made like a giant loop with a glow stick or 3 on it. this way if i wanted to have both in one hand and weave and manipulate the shoe strings with my fingers to bring in the orbits or release the string to make larger circles and gave me a better grip to keep the strings from flying out of my hands. i have been stringing/spinning for a lil over 2 years and learned many different ways of doing things or modifying your rig to suit your needs. all i can tell you about being embarrased or dissappointed in the show that you gave is... dont sweat it.. always keep a practice rig around and practice with to make sure your are ready for any presentation you give, do a good warm up. you can always redeem yourself at a later date, you're only human. just modify your rig so that you can do easy on the spot repairs and keep extra sets of strings or rigs handy along with glows... i hope this helps you outand be blessed ..plurr

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Just like the old saying goes: If you fall off your bike, get straight back on!I find I get really annoyed at myself if I mess up a spin, or get so nervous I forget to do half of what I know. Best way is to have a little spin to yourself and that normally helps.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys! You have no idea how much I needed that.

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Isn't that if you fall off a horse you're supposed to get back on?No matter samething. smile------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
erm - whack on some tunes, and have a spin in your living room...to help remind you of why you got into this in the first place...(and if you didnt get into it for personal expressive reasons - this technique will remind you of why you should quit) winksex too. sex is a good stress relief smileJosh

Wormymember
22 posts

Posted:
I have a bad night every time someones there to watch me smile

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Wormy,I think what you need to do is relax. And just go with the flow, the worst thing is to think oh my god there are all these people watching me and freak out. When you do that you hit your self I know smile I try and relax and do moves that I am totally confident with and that I know that I can do with my eyesclosed, and then I just RELAX.SO yeah try that smile

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
I had a similar incident happen to me, one night at a party i decided to bring my strings and glowsticks and play areound. I didnt know so many people would be watching me, because it was outside where no one was, but i was getting more and more people watching me and so i was getting more and more nervous because this was when i first started spinning so i wasnt used to a crowd. but my whole bod was soaked because i worked up a sweat and my hands were slippery. (When i spin glowsticks I have one on each end of the string)I was doing the reverse weave when out of nowhere, the glowstick slipped out of my hand and there went my string into the crowd. When ever that happens, I say my glowsticks go to glowstick heaven.With so many people i never end up finding it again.
Non-Https Image Link
------------------"come with me to a land of fantasy, take my hand down into techno wonderland"

Its not easy being green....

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Q:Prevention is the best medicine. Bring your gear but don't break it out unless you're sure the music, the vibe, and the crowd are just right. If they aren't just right, just leave your stuff in your pocket and make the best of it, and save the glowsticks for another night. Like a good heavy psychedelic dose, set and setting are everything.-prote

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
I dont mind doing shows and stuff for crowds. I dont like it if I mess up but half the time the crowd are so impressed at what you're doing they dont mind a few dodgy spins and the odd stray. (come off it - how many members of the general public actually get to see spinning regularly?)I really dont like it if Im having a practice burn outside my house (the only place I have to do fire or led poi) when I want to try some new moves and know Ill be all over the place and all the local kids come to watch expecting something fantastic and all they get is a bumbling fool who reeks of burnt hair and is covered in soot.Seriously, theres nothing like performing for a crowd and watching the enjoyment on their faces. Just relax and enjoy yourself. If they can see that youre having a good time then they will like it better and enjoy themselves more - this goes for any other kind of performances that you guys out there do.Take it easy,Gruff

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
protie, I think we should have hung out more at BM'01 smileseems like we would have been on the same wavelength.Josh

BongoCIHmember
16 posts

Posted:
Hmm, ok to get over a bad show. Relax.The way I do it is to enjoy myself. Relax and the motions come to you, you know them. If you've been spinning out the back or somewhere else by yourself and you know the moves off by heart, then being tense will screw you up fully. I also keep my practice poi with me whereever I go, just because, also as a kind of reasurrance mechanism (my practice poi are chain and tennis balls so they're not going to break). I did this gig one time on polished slate floor, and after about 15 seconds of spinning I began sliding. So I just held out my arms, got my balance again and proceeded on with the rest of the show, cutting out moves with big foot movements. so the key word out of all of that was relax, and enjoy yourself. If you're not enjoying it then what's the point of doing it.