Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Trying to do a palm spin. any one willing to share how?

Login/Join to Participate

Stafferboymember
9 posts

Posted:
Is anyone here willing to share how they succesfully do a helicopter-type thing with a palm spin without near decapitation? I have been trying for a few weeks now with a lot of bruises to show 4 it. Any1 got any pointers?

Peace Out

Staff Rulz!

alexpchinmember
31 posts

Posted:
me too! i keep getting stuck!!!!

cyberspinmember
21 posts

Posted:
hi guys
i dont know whether this will help but have you done a search on the forum?

it's strange that was one of the first tricks i learnt!

i think what i found was being comftable with my above the head spin first aka helicopter, then when you feel comftable real exagerate your hand as flat as possible, especialy getting the thumb out the way, concentrae on keeping it centre, it might to move your hand around to compensate it moving from centre at first, and not too fast or too slow if that makes sense? ican only do it real well with my right hand, got to work on the left! it's a realy good move when adding spins to your paralell turns.

hope this helps!

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven (John Milton)I am the answer to all questions and cause of all problems!

cyberspinmember
21 posts

Posted:
hi guys
i dont know whether this will help but have you done a search on the forum?

it's strange that was one of the first tricks i learnt!

i think what i found was being comftable with my above the head spin first aka helicopter, then when you feel comftable real exagerate your hand as flat as possible, especialy getting the thumb out the way, concentrae on keeping it centre, it might to move your hand around to compensate it moving from centre at first, and not too fast or too slow if that makes sense? ican only do it real well with my right hand, got to work on the left! it's a realy good move when adding spins to your paralell turns.

hope this helps!

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven (John Milton)I am the answer to all questions and cause of all problems!

...dreamer...member
36 posts

Posted:
palm spins = me hit head lots

only way iv got one to stay for any amount of time without hurting me and causing concussion: get it spinning between fingers at good speed and try and bring it down to ure palm....

u might want to ignore this, it does kinda work but im sure theres easier ways

when attempting these tricks for the first time, get a little drunk, yeh sure ure not as balanced but it does hurt less

Be a dreamer.....

.....dreams can change the world.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i stole this offa tutorial website.
i hope he don't mind
quote:

Palming
Palming a staff is an elegant move whereby a staff is set spinning around it's centre on an open palm, usually on the flat of the palm and with the palm is parallel with the horizon.

Non-Https Image Link

This trick is performed in two phases, a snapping setup then a balancing platform of the palm - both if which require control and dilligence. The snap provides the torque for the staff, the balancing part discreetly keeps the staff spinning.

The snapping setup is done by sharply and simultaneously turning the elbow outward, starting from a position similar to the topmost figure in the above illustration and moving into the position the middle figure. When coordinated well with some power, this sideways snapping action provides enough torque momentum for several staff revolutions.

In preparation to open one's hand, the grasp of the staff should be from underneath at this stage if it is not already, as is shown in the middlemost figure.

As the arm fully outstretches and your palm opens up, care should be taken in raising the staff above shoulder level so that your arms do not obstruct it - the arm should now appear as is shown in the lowermost figure. This movement should be gradual and your hands move gracefully to a stop so as not to accidentally toss the spinning staff sidewards.

Finally, with arm outstretched and staff spinning on an open palm, all that is left to do is to manipulate the staff by the fingers, moving them rigidly from the base of the knuckles in manner not unlike massaging. When applied in a peristaltic manner, this massaging action provides some added momentum, but primarily it should be used to manipulate the staff's axis of movement fixed - In the above example, the axis is in the middle of the fingers.

As friction on your palm gradualy overcome the torque momentum in the staff's spin, the staff can easily be captured in the hand again simply by closing your grip as the spnning staff aligns with your grasp. From this point you may execute a horizontal transition to another move, or even execute another snapping setup into another palming move!

Palming Hints
To perform this with fire, it is advisable to use a shorter stick as not only should the staff's length should reach short of one's face (eek!) but additional staff length be scarificed to keep the wicked flames away too!

Heavy staves allow more momentum and thus more revolutions, while flatter handles provide for easier balancing. To sustain the palming almost indefinitely, one would set about it with such a staff, incredible initial torque in the snapping setup and masterful finger balancing.

If your fingers keep getting in the way when the spinning staff is in your open palm, sometimes it helps to bend your fingers even farther back, further reducing the chances of interrupting the spin.

The setup is very hard on the wrists, as your forarms muscles power alot of the thrust - please stretch your wrists on all directions thoroughly to minimise the risk of injury.

Palming Variations
The variation shown in the above animation is a synchronised double palm. Both palms needn't go up at the same time though, but symmetry lends to the elagance of this move. With the body crouched over, one is also able to execute a btb (behind the back) variation.

animation

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

cunninggitmember
10 posts

Posted:
Height!

I find starting the move off high helps a great deal, by starting off above your head it feels a bit weird but muchley reduces the risk of hitting yourself Also i started off leaning back loads, helps with the perspective and orientation i think, you look like a bit of a muppet but with practice you can straighten yourself up, then your away!

Whatever it was I didnt do it!

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Ok, my two cents would be to practice with a smaller staff, this reduces the ammount of pain recived and allows you also to practice palm spins infront of you so you can see the spin on the hand.

You then need to think about the palm of your hand and the places on it where a spin can be done (basically the raised circle of your palm). I have noticed that different people will spin on different sections of the palm according to which comes more natural/comfortable. Play also with the direction the staff is spinning, as you may find that in the opposite direction the spin will be on a different part of the palm. Lastly i find if you want to keep the palm spin going you can slyly add momentum with your thumb or fingers.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ads

Is that magnets!?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and for an extremely swift 2 cents:

make sure the staff is properly horizontal, and you are spinning it in the exact centre.....

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
I found to learn plam spins the best thing to do is lie on your back blance staff on your palm and give it a sort of flick with your thumb to get it spinning. This way you can see what the staffs doing and when it goes wrong you've got more chance of catching it b4 it smacks u in the head (best done in a field on a sunny day when your feeling to lazy to stand up).

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i stole this offa tutorial website.
i hope he don't mind [Angel]
quote:

Palming
Palming a staff is an elegant move whereby a staff is set spinning around it's centre on an open palm, usually on the flat of the palm and with the palm is parallel with the horizon.

-

This trick is performed in two phases, a snapping setup then a balancing platform of the palm - both if which require control and dilligence. The snap provides the torque for the staff, the balancing part discreetly keeps the staff spinning.

The snapping setup is done by sharply and simultaneously turning the elbow outward, starting from a position similar to the topmost figure in the above illustration and moving into the position the middle figure. When coordinated well with some power, this sideways snapping action provides enough torque momentum for several staff revolutions.

In preparation to open one's hand, the grasp of the staff should be from underneath at this stage if it is not already, as is shown in the middlemost figure.

As the arm fully outstretches and your palm opens up, care should be taken in raising the staff above shoulder level so that your arms do not obstruct it - the arm should now appear as is shown in the lowermost figure. This movement should be gradual and your hands move gracefully to a stop so as not to accidentally toss the spinning staff sidewards.

Finally, with arm outstretched and staff spinning on an open palm, all that is left to do is to manipulate the staff by the fingers, moving them rigidly from the base of the knuckles in manner not unlike massaging. When applied in a peristaltic manner, this massaging action provides some added momentum, but primarily it should be used to manipulate the staff's axis of movement fixed - In the above example, the axis is in the middle of the fingers.

As friction on your palm gradualy overcome the torque momentum in the staff's spin, the staff can easily be captured in the hand again simply by closing your grip as the spnning staff aligns with your grasp. From this point you may execute a horizontal transition to another move, or even execute another snapping setup into another palming move!

Palming Hints
To perform this with fire, it is advisable to use a shorter stick as not only should the staff's length should reach short of one's face (eek!) but additional staff length be scarificed to keep the wicked flames away too!

Heavy staves allow more momentum and thus more revolutions, while flatter handles provide for easier balancing. To sustain the palming almost indefinitely, one would set about it with such a staff, incredible initial torque in the snapping setup and masterful finger balancing.

If your fingers keep getting in the way when the spinning staff is in your open palm, sometimes it helps to bend your fingers even farther back, further reducing the chances of interrupting the spin.

The setup is very hard on the wrists, as your forarms muscles power alot of the thrust - please stretch your wrists on all directions thoroughly to minimise the risk of injury.

Palming Variations
The variation shown in the above animation is a synchronised double palm. Both palms needn't go up at the same time though, but symmetry lends to the elagance of this move. With the body crouched over, one is also able to execute a btb (behind the back) variation.

animation

hehe
aww its raver GIR!!

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

6,978 posts

Posted:
you know he be bada$$ beerchug

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ohhh, does this mean I have to change my icon.... he's sooooo cuuuute.....

Bing and Bong here I come...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
naaah you blatantly had it before mr bendy.

sorry bill

R hug

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Interesting long treatise on what I feel is a far simpler move than it first appears...

I simple do a two handed helicopter above my head, and when I feel the spin is as horizontal as I can get it, flatten my hand out.

After a while, you get the sense of when it is about to roll off and can adjust it with the angle of your hand and/or the pad of your thumb.

Things that make palm spins harder...rubber or grippy grip, staffs with a lot of stick weight, without a lot of weight on the ends (proportionally), and wide heavy sticks/grips.

Things that make palmspins easier...the opposite of all things above smile, making your palm deliberately slippery with sweat or a small amount of excess fuel (kero/solvent 3440/lamp oil ONLY).

Hope this is of some help wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

6,978 posts

Posted:
erm mine has a different file size and framerate
:ducks and hides:

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
spank

shame on you oh bendy one.

a computer geek like you ought to be able to come up with another avatar instantly!!! wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Ayyy! And I'm not a computer geek! I do Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence... (You can always do with a little more) I'm geeky tooo.......... tongue

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
he is very tiny.... look at um... look at those little cone legs! biggrin **sigh** im gonna build a gir of my own

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
my tuppence...

just try it very slowly to begin with...

when you can manage several palm spins from one slow spin, then make it faster.
there's no point in rushing things and causing yourself pain- i've seen too many beginners recently just trying to do everything as fast as they can....
gluck wave

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.